Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    almathor Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2007, 10:31 AM
    Owing a debt
    I have an old credit card debt that has been turned over to a collection agency. I am now working with the collection agency to pay this debt. Back in February, the agency asked me to pay an initial $155.oo and leave a check on file for a larger amount which would be deposited at the end of march. I was told if I did not have the amount by the end of march that I should call back and they would cancel the check and we would work out another payment. Turns out I did not have enough money by the end of march. I called to let them know and they tried to deposit the check anyway. I ended up paying my bank $30.oo to stop payment on that check and lukily I was able to stop it in time. Now I am discussing this debt again with a different collector at the same agency. He began telling me that providian visa (which is no longer) will not accept anything less than a check for almost $300.oo/after more than a week now going back and forth I am now down to sending them possibly $100.oo but he wants me to set up 3 checks for 100.oo each. One for may, June and July. Then he wants me to call back in July to see if I am able to pay off my debt then in a full lump sum. He assures me this is the only way to stop interest from accumulating. I'm not very comfortable leaving checks with this company again because of the experience back in February. I don't understand why I can't just mail them a check for $100.00 a month. I don't trust that they will only take out 100.00 if I have them with
    Draw the money from my checking themselves. Which is what they want to do.
    Please help. Am I obligated to have them take the money in the way they want or can I insit on mailing the payment myself or using their check by phone service, which they have.
    Thank you for your feedback. I am suppose to call them back again tomorrow. This same conversation has been going on for a few weeks now back and forth. I was willing to pay $100.oo 2 weeks ago and because they keep wanting me to call back I have not been able to pay anything.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2007, 10:41 AM
    Look, they will do and say anything to get as much money from you as fast as possible, pay them 100 a month on your own terms, as long as they keep receiving money they should just accept it, just don't miss payments and don't agree to pay more than 100 a month or send post dated checks as they probably will try to cash them sooner than you want.

If possible ask them for online banking details that way you don't have to send checks and don't have to talk to them as often.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Debt collection twice same debt [ 1 Answers ]

I was placed in collections oct 2003 for an outstanding debt with rogers cell phone. I paid the debt in full oct 29/03 . Through nordon collections I was just notified by canadian collections that rogers has again placed a collection against this same debt. They keep calling with the auto...

Bad Debt and Bad Debt allocation [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone help with the following accounting exercise? The following info was listed in company X balance sheet as of 2005 Aacounts Rec for 2004 150,000 Aacounts Rec for 2005 250,000 Allowance for bad debt in 2004 was 8,200 Allowance for bad debt in 2005 was 12,000

Contacted by debt collector after notification that debt was not valid [ 1 Answers ]

I was contacted by a debt collection agency by phone stating that I owed $686.00 from 1991. I returned the call to find out what this pertained to and the gave me the name a store credit card that I had at that time - during that period my ex- husband filed bankruptsy and all accounts ( personal...

Question #2 Debt Validation: Should I wait out and old debt? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Concerning the Debt Validation / Verification process: If a debt is due to expire (over 7 years old) in a couple of months, is it better to validate /verify it; or wait it out and then get it removed - that is, will the act of verifying the debt renew the life of the debt if it is proved...

View more questions Search