Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 1, 2007, 10:02 AM
    Broken Pella window
    My church has a couple broken Pella windows. They are the casement type, aluminum clad, a single pane of glass plus a storm window with a wood grid between. Is there any taking them apart and replacing the glass, or do I pay a Pella authorized technician to replace the whole sash? Remember, I am crazy and have taken apart many things and fixed them that were never meant to be repaired.
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

May 1, 2007, 08:45 PM
    Heck... if it was me... and the window was single-pane glass... I would sure try to replace the broken glass myself (it's a whole lot cheaper and any local glass shop can cut a new pane to the exact size). Worst case scenario would be having to get a glazier to fix it if I couldn't... nothing to lose really... just a little time and effort.

Good luck to you.
    Nerichard Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2008, 04:42 PM
    I work as a Pella service tech and would strongly recommend calling your neighborhood glass shop to do it.
    brokenpane Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2010, 04:54 PM

Only one side of a dual pane breaks, there's got to be a manufacture defect! What's Pellas stand on this?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 26, 2010, 06:23 PM

This post is coming up on 3 years old
    Glassman777 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2011, 03:52 PM
    Most window glass can be replaced but Pella, Anderson, K&K, and a few others require sash replacement due to the glass being a soft coat Low E and any other glass will not match properly. I have done this many many times and can tell you this to be true. Replace the sash it's the ONLY way to do it right as I you could buy just the double pane from Pella and try to replace it yourself (Not so easy). Good Luck!

Erik
    E Glass Company
    Www.eglasscompany.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Window measurement [ 3 Answers ]

I want to install double hung windows in my home. I'm buying the windows from home depot. Question #1, when measuring windows do I give exact measuring example one windows measure w-29 3/8 - h-61 1/4 . Question #2 I live northeast what type of insulation I install in the inside of the windows. ...

Repairing broken glass block window [ 1 Answers ]

How do I repair / replace a broken glass block in a glass block window? It is right in the middle of the window. The window appears to have a rubber gasket between each block. Thanks.

Window shutters [ 4 Answers ]

How do I make shutters for my windows

Neighbor forcing us to pay broken window [ 2 Answers ]

My husband a few months back got into and argument with this man over an issue that did not pertain to my husband after talking things over my husband came back home and our two children and us were in our front yard washing our cars, when the man came back with another man and started shooting at...

View more questions Search