Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blkasian83 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2005, 11:56 PM
    Saving Microsoft office standard edition
    Hi, I am wondering how I can save my Microsoft office programs such as word, powerpoint, access and excel.. on to a cd. I bought this computer and it already came with office so I don't have the original cd for it and now I am wondering how can I back up these PROGRAMS on to a cd so I can transfer it over to a new laptop. Thanks!
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2005, 04:47 AM
    Without the CD I think getting Office onto another PC would be very tricky. You would have to dive into the registry a lot. It's going to take a long time and the finished version isn't going to be pretty.

Did you get any CD with your PC? If you have something like a restore disk, Office could be on there. It would be very unusual for a PC to be given to you without someway of reinstalling all your software should something go wrong.

Try this if you find a CD:
    • Put the disk in the drive
    • If some dialog box pops up asking you if you want to install Windows etc. close it.
    • Open up My Computer
    • Right click on the CD drive with the CD in and choose "Explore"
    • Check for any folders prefixed with a dollar sign (e.g. $i). These will be folders/files that somebody has added to the install disk to be installed with XP. For example, files in a folder called $i end up on the disk your install windows on. If you installed Windows on C:\, all the files in $i would end up on C:\.
    • Look through these folders. Hopefully one will contain an installation program for Office.

If all this fails, try OpenOffice. It's a free office suite similar to MS Office. It's also able to open end edit all MS Office documents. http://www.openoffice.org
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 4, 2005, 05:29 AM
    If you bought the computer new and it came with a preinstalled or trial version of Office, you should have been given the opportunity to create restore disks that you can use. If you didn't do that at the time you setup the PC, check with the manufacturer for the procedure for creating such disks.

If a trial version was preinstalled and you then bought a license for it, contact Microsoft. They should be able to send you a CD for a nominal fee.

If you bought a used machine that had Office installed and you did not get the CDs and did not register it, then you most likely have a illegal copy. In that case, you will need to purchase your own copy.

You can't copy programs to disk, since they need to be installed from the original install disks/files. The only way to do a backup that would restore things is doing an image backup using something like Norton Ghost. This creates an exact image of your drive. However, if you restore such an image, everything added since the image was created will be lost.

If you are migrating to a new PC, you might try using Win XP's Transfer Settings Wizard to transfer programs. There are also 3rd party tools like PC Relocater or Intellimover, that claim to be able to migrate programs to a new PC.

P.S. This is really a software question, not a hardware one.
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Apr 6, 2005, 12:32 PM
    As someone already metioned, you can transfer data but not entire programs. You could purchase an external hard drive and drag and drop or copy and paste the data from your drive over to the external drive and then transfer the data from your external drive, back over to your new PC. A CD Burner would work as well.
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Apr 7, 2005, 07:38 AM
    Backup
    If a true backup is what you seek,

Then here is a naughty little way to get it, find a store in your area, there is one in mine, Staples is one, Microcenter another, purchase office, copy the Cd and then return it, for your money back, tell them it did not work on your old system, staples will take any returns back, no matter what, they just do not, post it all over the place

In this way, you are circumventing the system, but in the end they do seem to end up ripping us off.

Apr 7, 2005, 11:08 PM
    Wendy.. you are great!
    I think that is the most reliable information I have gotten.. you are a life safer!

Apr 8, 2005, 06:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy225
    If a true backup is what you seek,

Then here is a naughty little way to get it, find a store in your area, there is one in mine, Staples is one, Microcenter another, purchase office, copy the Cd and then return it, for your money back, tell them it did not work on your old system, staples will take any returns back, no matter what, they just do not, post it all over the place

In this way, you are circumventing the system, but in the end they do seem to end up ripping us off.
    Your perception that the companies may be "ripping us off" is immaterial. The fact is what you suggested is at best unethical and may be illegal. Most stores will not take back opened software because of people doing such things. Or they may charge a restocking fee.

In addition, Office has to be activated. If he tries to install the copy and someone else has bought and activated the original he copied, he may find himself in trouble.
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Apr 8, 2005, 07:28 PM
    More
    Office can be used without the very most advanced features, without authorizing it.

And if he already has an original copy as he says he does, then he can't get into trouble, because he has an original as proof he owns the program, and he can use his original serial number he has with his verision to register it.

I have Ms Office, but over time, I have reformatted several times, therefore, going behind the limit of how many times I can register MS OFfice, now after paying a ton of money for the original version, they will not register it for me, because I am way past my license limit.

That is crap, as I have mainly had to reformat due to problems with MS windows products, they will reregister windows, but now MS office, now you tell me who is doing something illegal, they basically said I am SHOL.

And expect me to paid out a large amount of cash for a brand new version, so please, do not harp on me, or preach to me about righteous crap, when we are getting ripped off, with MS at the head of the class.

And I keep using my bought and paid for version of MS office, I have yet really even needed anything that an acitvation would call for, everything I want to do with it works.

Apr 9, 2005, 04:41 AM
    First, there was no indication that he had an original copy. All that was said was that it came with his PC. Nothing was said about whether the PC was bought new. If he does have a registered legal copy, he can get replacement disks from Microsoft for a nominal (about $10) fee.

Second, Why would you need to reregister? You only need to register ONCE for each license. I've reinstalled my versions a few times after replacing machines and have had no problem with re-authentication. I don't know what Microsoft told you or under what conditions.

The key issue here is one of ethics. If you have a legal version of Office then there is no ethical dilemma in reinstalling it whether Microsoft says so or not. But whatever problems you have had with Microsoft on this issue still does NOT justify recommending an unethical solution to another user.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Apr 9, 2005, 04:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy225
    Office can be used without the very most advanced features, without authorizing it.
    You know, I checked microsoft.com, and you're right! Without activating MS Office, it can still be used, just without advanced features such as creating, editing, saving, and printing documents. Wow! As such an old-fashioned AbiWord and OpenOffice.org user, I can't believe MS Office even supports such amazing features that are obviously so non-essential.

And if he already has an original copy as he says he does, then he can't get into trouble, because he has an original as proof he owns the program, and he can use his original serial number he has with his verision to register it.
    Wendy,

It doesn't matter if he can prove he is the "rightful" licensee of microsoft's particular box of binary. What does matter is that you created more problems for him that he may potentially have to deal with at some point down the road. If you're going to get MS Office illegally, why don't you just pirate it off the Internet? Then at least you would anger less people. (This is not a suggestion to pirate software, please don't twist it like that :)).

Psi42

Apr 16, 2005, 02:05 AM
    Well first off, I do have the actual product key... and the reason why I asked if I can make a backup copy of ms office programs is so I didn't have to pay the nominal fee because I think its crap for me to pay for something that I already have. And even though wendy gave me an "unethical" solution, I am a grown man who can make decisions for myself, I posted my original message to find out what other peoples suggestions were, whether if its ethical or not, I just wanted to know what my options were and wendy gave me an option, so please get off her case for trying to help a person out.
    P.S. Everyone knows good and well that Microsoft do rip people off too!!

Apr 17, 2005, 04:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by blkasian83
    well first off, i do have the actual product key....and the reason why i asked if i can make a backup copy of ms office programs is so i didn't have to pay the nominal fee because i think its crap for me to pay for something that i already have. And even though wendy gave me an "unethical" solution, I am a grown man who can make decisions for myself, I posted my original message to find out what other peoples suggestions were, whether or not if its ethical or not, i just wanted to know what my options were and wendy gave me an option, so please get off her case for trying to help a person out.
    P.S. Everyone knows good and well that microsoft do rip people off too!!!
    Sorry, but I strongly disagree with you.
    1) We have no idea whether you are a "grown man" or what. Nor do we know your level of ethics. Also, unless you know that advice was unethical you don't have the info to make that decision.
    2) You are not paying for something you already have. If you bought the PC new and it didn't come with disks or a way to make disks, then you didn't pay for the disks. Generally, software that is bundled with a new PC is done so at a deep discount. That discount partially reflects the fact that you got no disks or printed documentation.
    3) Most of the helpers at sites like these do not promote unethical behavior. I think its wrong to do so and I have every right (I see it as an obligation) to point out when someone else promotes such behavior. As an extreme example, if you posted a question on how to poison your wife do you think it would be OK for someone to give you instructions? In my opinion anyone offering advice that is unethical deserves to be called out for it.
    4) I don't believe that Microsoft rips anyone off. I do believe that Microsoft sometimes uses some heavy handed business tactics, some of which are questionable. But that doesn't necessarily constitute a rip off. Many of the court decisions that have gone against MS have been borderline and breaking new ground because of new technology.

I think Wendy got what she deserved for giving such bad advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Microsoft Office Problem? [ 6 Answers ]

Hey everyone. I have Windows XP. I do a system restore every couple of months on my Sony Vaio to speed the computer up. I have two drives (C) and (D). The system restore deletes everything on my C drive but D is uneffected. So I decided to install Microsoft office on D so that I wouldn't have...

Microsoft Office 2003 Professional [ 1 Answers ]

I have just installed a new master hard drive in my computer, and am attempting to install my copy of Microsoft Office 2003 Professional. Unfortunately, I've lost the serial number - no, really. I still have Office installed on the slave (used to be master) drive, and I'm wondering if there's...

Microsoft Office XP installation [ 11 Answers ]

?? I have MS Office 2000 Premium installed. I want to install MS Office XP. Do I install over 2000 or what? Will I lose all mt my Outlook e-mail?

Office 2003 password not saving! [ 1 Answers ]

Please, please, please help! Everything was fine until about a week ago, when my system was attacked by a virus, which shut it down although it failed to get it. Anyhow, I've cleaned and checked everything, and my AV & firewall have kept everything out, luckily. Except... ... my office 2003...

Microsoft Office 97 Professional Edition [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to purchase a new PC and I am wondering if Office 97 is compatible with Windows XP. Thank you. :)

View more questions Search