Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CNYBrian Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2007, 07:13 AM
    Running water sound in water pressure tank
    Not sure if I have a bad bladder in my water pressure tank but here is what I have. When my submersible pump kicks on I hear what sounds like water and air mixing in the tank. The house pressure comes up to about 50 PSI and takes time to bleed down. Could I have air in the tank from the well vice a bad bladder? How can I be sure? Please help!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 1, 2007, 07:40 AM
    Let me explain the function of a bladder tank. Pressure and bladder tanks provide a air cushion that produces water pressure in your system so your pump doesn't kick on every time you draw a glass of water. A bladder tank has a neoprene membrane in the center. As the pump puts water into the bottom half of the bladder tank the membrane compresses the air in the top half. When the pressure reaches the cut off point in the control box the pump shuts down. However you still have between 40 to 50 pounds of pressure pushing the water out to your system. As the pressure drops in the tank when you make a draw the pump kicks on and everything starts over again.
    To check, take something metal and start rapping at the bottom of the tank and work upwards. You will hear a "clunk" in the bottom half full of water. On the upper half you should hear a "clink" because the upper half should have nothing but air in it. IF the sound doesn't change or changes close to to tank top then the bladder tank must be replaced. Your air setting on the tank should be 2 pounds UNDER the cut in point in the pressure control box. If your pressure control has a 20 PSI cut in and 40 PSI cut out the tank pressure should read 18 PSI. This should be done with the pump off and no pressure in the system. Hope this helps Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water tank height versus water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not a physicist so I need your help. I live in Mexico. We have a water tank sitting on the roof - there is no pressure pump. The water pressure in the house is very low. Is there a rule of thumb (for the common man) that will tell me how how much pressure increase will result from raising...

Low water pressure from hot water tank [ 8 Answers ]

I drained my water supply when fitting new bathroom suite I have turn the mains water back on but I am not getting any pressure from the hot water taps the cold is fine

The sound of running water. [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know how to fix a water leak that is inside the wall between two bathrooms. I can here the sound of water but water meter is not or is moving very slowly.

Running Water sound from radiator [ 8 Answers ]

I read that "radiant" (ie. Heat radiates from hot water) systems need to be bled, or purged of air, usually radiators are bled once or twice per season, or as needed. I've never done mine, but now suspect I have to because of the symptoms explained below, and I want to do it myself. The...

Water Tank Running [ 2 Answers ]

My toilet flushes fine and the water comes up to the water level in the tank and stops, but 40 seconds later you can hear the sound of water leaking or maybe slowly going back out of the opening. There is no water on the floor, wall, fittings or on the tank. What's going on here>

View more questions Search