Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brunettegal37 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2005, 02:48 PM
    setting up equation?
    I can not get how to form a formula or equation for this question. I don't want the answer I just need help getting it started. Thanks

Jim can mow Mr.Smith's lawn in 6 hours, Bob can mow Mr.Smith's lawn in 4 hours. How long would it take them to mow the yard if they worked together?
    reinsuranc Posts: 92, Reputation: 6

Apr 5, 2005, 09:25 PM
    Work problems
    Jim can mow Mr.Smith's lawn in 6 hours, Bob can mow Mr.Smith's lawn in 4 hours. How long would it take them to mow the yard if they worked together?

Just to get you started:

Jim can do 1/6 of the job per hour, Bob can do 1/4 of the job per hour. So together they can do 1/6 + 1/4 of the job per hour.

Is that enough of a hint?
    Dr_Calculus Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2005, 03:33 PM
    yup
    I think reinsuranc has the best method to do the problem... I guess if you want to state the solution more algebraically, we could say:

1/4 x +1/6 x = 1

where x is the number of hours needed for them to finish the job together. If there are others working on it, tack on the extra members' contributions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Nonlinear Systems of Equation [ 2 Answers ]

Nonlinear Systems of Equation: Problem: y = x^2 3x = y +2 Any assistance you can give me will greatly appreciated. Thank you!:)

Basic equation help! [ 3 Answers ]

I have the answer on my paper but I can't figure out how to do the problem itself a c -(2x - 12)= - b d its 'a' over 'b' times 2x minus 12 equals 'c' over 'd'

Converting an equation [ 1 Answers ]

I have an equation that has to do with weirs and flow rates, Q=288.8LH^(3/2) where Q is the discharge rate (gal/hr), L is the opening lenth (inches), and H is the height of the fluid (inches). How do I find a new constant if I where to change Q to (cubic feet/sec.) and L and H to feet? Thank you...

View more questions Search