Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wesson357 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2007, 06:50 PM
    Social Security, VA disability, and Judgements
    I am on Social Security disability, and also veterans disability. I have a son who is 32 who has had a hard start in life that I am putting through college. I have recently taken on a company that handles credit problems. I am up to my ears with credit card debt, so I have enlisted Credit Solutions for help. My question is, is social security or military disability subject to garnishment? My bank account, I assume, would be, because once there, there is no way to determine what type of income it is. Is there some way I can correct this and allow me the time to settle with my creditors? Thank you.
    gazelleintense Posts: 175, Reputation: 13

May 2, 2007, 07:44 PM
    Im pretty sure they can't touch social security benefits... but they may be able to on bank accounts...

Check out dave ramseys site for more info

daveramsey.com.
    Jazzysongbird Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2009, 12:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wesson357 View Post
    I am on Social Security disability, and also veterans disability. I have a son who is 32 who has had a hard start in life that I am putting through college. I have recently taken on a company that handles credit problems. I am up to my ears with credit card debt, so I have enlisted Credit Solutions for help. My question is, is social security or military disability subject to garnishment? My bank account, I assume, would be, because once there, there is no way to determine what type of income it is. Is there some way I can correct this and allow me the time to settle with my creditors? Thank you.
    I would like to know if you received Military disability and open a Banking Account, can the IRS take the money out of your account.
    Jazzysongbird Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2009, 12:52 AM

I you are getting Military Disability Check, can the IRS take your money from your account?
    MarineCorpsVet Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2011, 07:48 PM
    If your debt is unsecured such as credit card debt, legally they cannot garnish your VA disability payments or your social security payments. If I was you I would claim bankruptcy so the credit card debt is forgiven rather than using a debt consolidation company. What they do for you is no different than you calling your credit card companies and trying to settle for 1/2 of what you owe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security Disability Garnishment [ 12 Answers ]

Can my social security disability benefits be garnished to pay unsecured credit card debt?

Judgement for Social Security Disability Benefits [ 27 Answers ]

I am on social security disability benefits and it is the only income I have. If a credit card company has a judgement against me can they take my disability benefits, personal belongings, or home or lien on home to repay debt? What can they do to collect the debt?

Child support and social security disability [ 7 Answers ]

My ex said he is trying to get on disability so that he doesn't have to pay child support. Is this true? We live in PA

Social Security Disability? And a child [ 5 Answers ]

My husband was married 12 years ago , and got a divorce. The mother of his son they had, remarried four years ago. My husband fell ill and almost died from diebeities complications. During this time recoporating he than went on SSD for Mental Illness,bi-polar. His ex wife took him to court and...

Teacher retirement disability and social security disability [ 1 Answers ]

I qualified for both teacher retirement disability and social security disability. I saw the quote (below) but I'm uncertain how or if it also applies to me. "If the disability comes from Social Security, it is tax free. If it comes from your employer, it IS taxable." Also, my son...

View more questions Search