Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HANK Posts: 98, Reputation: 5

Apr 3, 2005, 12:43 PM
    Modes Of Knowing:
    It is important to acknowledge the reality and importance of non-rational modes of knowing, such as intuition, integrative awareness and contemplation. It is also important to understand the developing of a greater sense of connectedness with the deeper SELF, the world of nature, or the social, interpersonal dimension.

Do we owe respect to one another because of moral ideals?

HANK :)
    keenu Posts: 114, Reputation: 9

Apr 3, 2005, 05:44 PM
    Respect and moral ideals
    Respect can only be earned and it really has nothing to do with "morals".
    I think it has to do more with personal integrity which would be based on the individuals OWN sense of value. Value that is based on that person's world view and of their own place in it; not connected to societal values it would, I would have to say, be based on spiritual values. Boy, Hank, you are like a different person over here. I like it! I like it! A little freer to be yourself maybe?
    And in response to the other part of the question:
    YES! Getting to know your true self and learning to recognize the greater you.
    Have a great day, Hank!
    Patty
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2005, 04:30 AM
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

My dad.

Apr 4, 2005, 01:27 PM
    A New Day:
    The human capacity for self-delusion is nearly limitless. We have all seen people claim great spirituality but do evil things and then ignore or rationalize them. Somehow some people think they are immune to this phenomena. That's the difference between 'over there' and 'over here,' Patty!

HANK :D
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2005, 01:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HANK
    The human capacity for self-delusion is nearly limitless. We have all seen people claim great spirituality but do evil things and then ignore or rationalize them. Somehow some people think they are immune to this phenomena. That's the difference between 'over there' and 'over here,' Patty!

HANK :D
    I hear you sister!

Apr 4, 2005, 01:53 PM
    Self delusion
    You cannot self delude.
    Don't forget, reality is relative to the individual.
    People may claim great spirituality and do evil things...
    They may not think them evil, you know.
    I, for instance, do not believe in evil so something I might do may ultimately appear evil to you, who believes in evil. But it doesn't exist in my reality.

Apr 4, 2005, 01:58 PM
    Hmmm!
    Your answer is why I posted the Ten Commandments. Let this end it!

HANK :eek:
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2005, 02:32 PM
    HANK,

I think you need to set yourself up a blog. Seriously. It seems that you post here not to seek ay answers but to see your writing on the web. A blog would be perfect for you - you could sent the link to your blog to all your literary friends and they could comment on your articles.

http://www.blogger.com/start

Take care,

Karma.
    mike145k Posts: 123, Reputation: -1
    -

Jun 30, 2005, 05:54 PM
    The force of respect will jump out
    Quote Originally Posted by HANK
    It is important to acknowledge the reality and importance of non-rational modes of knowing, such as intuition, integrative awareness and contemplation. It is also important to understand the developing of a greater sense of connectedness with the deeper SELF, the world of nature, or the social, interpersonal dimension.

Do we owe respect to one another because of moral ideals?

HANK :)
    What is respect do we have to know what it is in order to have it, so the question then may appear to lead you to ask what part of truth is respect in order for it to become reality but that is only one source of itself such as morals and idealsand by knowing when to place the force of respect and to what degree we now have masterd a higher plain of understanding I must end it here for I am sure the rest jumps out .
    ranieri Posts: 136, Reputation: 13

Jul 8, 2005, 02:56 PM
    Modes of knowing,respect and ideals
    Do we owe respect to one another because of moral ideas? Then you quote Anthony Robbins which is completely taken out of context and demeaning.
    Then keenu says respect can only be earned and has nothing to do with morals... more with personal integrity.
    I have never met Mother Theresa, but I would respect her, and that is because of her morals. When you go in for a job interview, I would respect the person interviewing me even though they've never earned my respect.
    And if you look up respect in the dictionary, personal integrity is probably in the definition.
    And wasn't Anthony Robbins in Bill and Teds excellent adventure or Waynes World... he made some cameo appearance in some teen movie. Peace ranieri

Jul 18, 2005, 06:10 PM
    Respect
    Would you actually respect the person interviewing you?
    Wouldn't it be more like just acting courteous and being respectful of their position rather than respecting the actual person?
    I could never respect someone for their morals but I could respect someone for their grace of personhood, their personal integrity.
    Sage Posts: 35, Reputation: 2

Nov 20, 2005, 10:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by keenu
    You cannot self delude.
    Don't forget, reality is relative to the individual.
    People may claim great spirituality and do evil things...
    They may not think them evil, you know.
    I, for instance, do not believe in evil so something I might do may ultimately appear evil to you, who believes in evil. But it doesn't exist in my reality.
    The thing you have to remember is that "your reality" is no separate reality at all. Your "reality" is just the summation of your personal experiences, however the fixed law of nature exsist even if you choose to ignore it.
    Style Posts: 48, Reputation: 7

Mar 22, 2006, 07:43 PM
    Would you actually respect the person interviewing you?
    Wouldn't it be more like just acting courteous and being respectful of their position rather than respecting the actual person?
    That's not necessarily respect,the child who is quiet in class may be quiet not out of respect for the teacher,but simply tolerates the teacher's rules in order to be able to go play after lunch. Respect is an internal feeling that is often projected through outward actions,but that's not necessarily the case.

-Style

(The philosophy forum... where there's no such thing as a straight answer)
    milliec Posts: 262, Reputation: 55

Apr 12, 2006, 01:03 AM
    You cannot self delude.
    Sorry Patty, but you can.
    That's always been my mistake - We CAN delude ourselves to believe something is what we think, the way we perceive it (I think it's distant a cousin of "in the eyes of the beholder")
    In a more physical world: that's how magicians work
    As for respect: I think we should approach everything with respect, at least until we're sure we understood things perfectly.
    Even an object we don't like should be treated with the respect to whoever took the trouble of making it.
    Millie
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2006, 05:03 PM
    Ugh? Well... ugh... I like corn.
    Style Posts: 48, Reputation: 7

Apr 12, 2006, 10:40 PM
    Something we use in my high school Theory of Knowledge class

Seems appropriate for the subject...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Knowing When a Woman is Sexually Aroused [ 5 Answers ]

Well my question is simple: How do you know a women is sexually aroused (a.k.a. horny). With a guy it's pretty easy, he has an erection. Plain and simple. Do women have any physical responses to being horny? If so what are they? Thanks for the help.

Knowing if stock is worthless [ 3 Answers ]

We bought 10,000 shares of stock in the late 90's in a "startup" company through a Canadian broker (we are in U.S.) which, as best we can tell, went belly-up. The brokerage gave us the stock certificate a few years ago. It is not traded anywhere. I would like to write it off as worthless stock....

Is it legal for our neighbors to take pictures of us without us knowing? [ 4 Answers ]

I run an english bulldog rescue and our city limit on dogs is 2. I have 2 and then will have a foster homes so the animals aren't staying here. Our neighbors do not like us for whatever reason pretty much from day one. We have a share driveway and that doesn't help the relationship much but...

Internet clients knowing where to put things [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a way to setup when a user downloads something the internet client looks at the extension and opens the right folder it is I want it to go in? After I setup the settings of what I need to use or change.

View more questions Search