Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ramc Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2007, 05:17 PM
    Charged/Convicted/Arrested – Terminology?
    Hi,

Recently I was charged (given form 9 for appearance in court and fingerprinted) for theft under at Toronto CA (my first offence in my life, I am adult). In first appear I was asked to meet one community service lady, as per instruction I donated the money to charity and produce the receipt and during second appearance and my charges are withdrawn.

My question is whether charged and convicted is same or different. Bottom line if somewhere it is required to mention “Are you charged or convicted” what would be my answer. I was not arrested at the time when form 9 was given.

Any information would be helpful to me.
    stephmgr Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Apr 30, 2007, 05:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ramc
    Hi,

Recently I was charged (given form 9 for appearance in court and fingerprinted) for theft under at Toronto CA (my first offence in my life, I am adult). In first appear I was asked to meet one community service lady, as per instruction I donated the money to charity and produce the receipt and during second appearance and my charges are withdrawn.

My question is whether or not charged and convicted is same or different. Bottom line if somewhere it is required to mention “Are you charged or convicted” what would be my answer. I was not arrested at the time when form 9 was given.

Any information would be helpful to me.
    If you went in front of a judge or some type of law official you were charged. If you were imposed a sentence you were convicted. If you have a consequence for whatever you were "charged" with, then you were convicted.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 30, 2007, 05:35 PM
    To be charged, 1. it can actually vary officially by state, but in basic, if the officer arrests you, then you are charged, the DA may decide not to prosecute and drop the charges, or you are held pending a grand jury hearing to file official charges. At the first appearance, again it can vary, but you normally have the official charges read ( or given to you and or your attorney) also bail may be set or a bail hearing scheduled, also if there is going to be any plea agreements, adversion programs, they can be agrred to at this point.

So you were basically charged with the crime, but though a adversion program ( giving to charity) they allowed the charges to be withdrawn

So there is no conviction, and all court records basically show charged, and charges dropped.

So where you ever charged,? Yes, but charges were dismissed.
    But seldom do they ever ask charged or convicted, only convicted.
    ramc Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2007, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    To be charged, 1. it can actually vary officially by state, but in basic, if the officer arrests you, then you are charged, the DA may decide not to prosecute and drop the charges, or you are held pending a grand jury hearing to file official charges. At the first appearance, again it can vary, but you normally have the official charges read ( or given to you and or your attorney) also bail may be set or a bail hearing scheduled, also if there is going to be any plea agreements, adversion programs, they can be agrred to at this point.

so you were basicly charged with the crime, but though a adversion program ( giving to charity) they allowed the charges to be withdrawn

so there is no conviction, and all court records basicly show charged, and charges dropped.

so where you ever charged, ?? yes, but charges were dismissed.
    But seldom do they ever ask charged or convicted, only convicted.

Thanks a lot for the response……
    So basically I am charged but charges are withdrawn and I am not convicted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Terminology [ 2 Answers ]

Hi: I need to know the word(s) people use for this: Some companies sometimes ask their employees to take some time (a week or two) off without pay when the employers are running out of money. Thank you in advance for your answer.

Arrested for shoplifting [ 1 Answers ]

I was arrested for shoplifting. The total items was $100.00 They called the cops . They made me to sign a form not to go to that store again. Cops told me that I will not have a criminal record but I will receive a notice to pay penalty. I am worried if they will notify my employer or will this...

Child arrested [ 5 Answers ]

In California is a child allowed to be questioned by a police officier after being arrested without a parent present? What if they do not book her and ask you to bring her back to be booked? If she is caught stealing to I get sued for civil charges of $500.00? Does she get charged with a felony...

Terminology question... [ 3 Answers ]

This is a little weird but does anyone know what "pathological distention of the bowel" means?

View more questions Search