Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HANK Posts: 98, Reputation: 5

Apr 3, 2005, 11:19 AM
    Demons:
    Who was the woman from whom Jesus cast out seven demons? What were the demons?

HANK :)
    keenu Posts: 114, Reputation: 9

Apr 3, 2005, 05:50 PM
    Demons
    Well, it was Mary THE Magdalene.
    I don't know what the 7 demons were.
    Probably some illnesses of some sorts, because, AS YOU SHOULD KNOW,
    There are no such things as demons.
    Silly boy
    HANK Posts: 98, Reputation: 5

Apr 4, 2005, 01:41 PM
    Silly Me:
    Who, me? An All-American jock in two sports two times over? I guess I'm slipping but I doubt it!

HANK :rolleyes:
    mechimom Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2005, 04:14 PM
    7 Demons
    Hi Hank,

Jesus cast the 7 demons out of Mary Magdalene (Mark 16:9 amd Luke 8:2). There is no mention of what the demons were.
    celtearth Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Aug 24, 2005, 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mechimom
    Hi Hank,

Jesus cast the 7 demons out of Mary Magdalene (Mark 16:9 amd Luke 8:2). There is no mention of what the demons were.
    Why were they not mentioned. This makes a good point. What else doesn't the bible have mentioned in it. Who exactly edited this book over it's many translations, many versions over many centuries?
    chrisl Posts: 83, Reputation: 2

Aug 25, 2005, 08:17 AM
    Look into it
    Quote Originally Posted by celtearth
    Why were they not mentioned. This makes a good point. What else doesn't the bible have mentioned in it. Who exactly edited this book over it's many translations, many versions over many centuries?
    Surely that's quibbling! And where does this line of reasoning end? That the Bible cannot be authentic unless it contains every detail, every thought and action of every person mentioned, and explains every event from the beginning of history? It's impossible. The Bible provides all the information necessary for honest-hearted ones to learn about God and his purposes.

It's uninformed to make such sweeping criticisms about the integrity of the Bible texts. Modern scholarship reveals little change in the content of the Bible over the centuries. Yes, the various Bible translations have their strengths and weaknesses and readers must be discerning, but the integrity of the Bible as a whole is well-attested.

Chris
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Sep 2, 2005, 08:12 PM
    Mary and the Demons
    Yes there were seven Devils cast out of Mary by Jesus, such is his power. Even the devils are subject to him. Some people do not believe in devils, but the Bible does.

Bultmann demythologised the Bible, as he called the process of removing all references to supernatural events, or explaining them away, believing them to be the ramblings of the simple minded.

But if one accepts the Bible as the Word of God, then one is bound to either accept, to some extent, what it says or else find some very good reasons not to accept what it says.

The Bible has 57 references to "devil"; 48 references to "devils"; 15 references to "evil spirit"; and 4 references to "evil spirits."

That is a total number of 114 references to evil personalities. How can these be explained away as if they did not exist, and what does that "explaining away" do to the veracity of the Bible?

MORGANITE

:)
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2005, 02:45 PM
    Mary and demons
    You mentioned...
    “Bultmann demythologised the Bible, as he called the process of removing all references to supernatural events, or explaining them away, believing them to be the ramblings of the simple minded.”
    It is people like Bulmann who are the simple mind. Their spirituality is so shallow that they can not accept of comprehend the complex world of God's power and spirituality.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Sep 3, 2005, 05:23 PM
    Bible
    Who edited the bible? The church. They created it. They changed it to suit their purposes. It is their book to propagate their religion and to support and substansiate their manifesto.
    The bible is a conglomeration of many, many ancient stories. It has been so badly interpreted and changed and rewritten that it has become unintelligible. As you said someone took out everything they didn't like or that didn't fit in with their view of things and everything "supernatural"... what might I ask would a god be if not supernatural? Whatever. None of it makes any sense.
    The bible is not the word of god. Good grief. If one cares to one can go back and research ancient history. One can also read the apocrypha and everything that was taken out of the bible to learn some quite interesting things. Read the Enuma Elish. The Epic of Gilgamesh. The history of any ancient civilization.
    Demons? All in your head, all in your head.
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2005, 06:31 PM
    Keenu
    Hogwash!
    Pure Hogwash.
    There is no REAL HISTORICAL evidence to support your claim.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)

Sep 4, 2005, 07:47 AM
    Demons...
    Before experts begin to be unpleasant to each other, perhaps it would be wise to understand that opinions on this subject - the existence or not of evil spirits, or demons - vary, and for different reasons.

Rather than flinging posts of poo at each other, why not set out in simple form the reasons for your position.

I was interested in the poster who recommended reading the Apocrypha, the Enuma Elish ("When on high ..."), and the Epic of Gilgamesh, as I have an academic familiarity with all three.

As for the Jewish Apocrypha, it was never part of the Bible, although it was published in many Bibles, sandwiched between the Old and New Testaments. Neither the Rabbis nor the Christian Fathers admitted it into the canon of scripture. It was printed as a matter of interest, but not held to be equal in inspiration or value to those books that were eventually canonised; that is, given the approval of Synagogue or Church.

As for the Enuma Elish, which is an ancient creation story from the Near East, it does not reach the grandeur or purpose of the Genesis account of Creation, as reading it will readily demonstrate.

But, what it has to do with the existence of demons, keenu, does not say, and I would be very interested in hearing the arguments and seeing how the connection is made.

The same can be said of Gilgamesh. It is an interesting story, and it may predate the written account in Genesis, but that is a matter only of literary interest. Those familiar with the Epic will note that the hero is concerrned only for himself. There are many other disparities between this account of a flood and the Biblical account. Again, the connection to the reality, or otherwise, of demons and devils is not broached.

This is an interesting and fascinating subject, and I believe it deserves better treatment than being the core of a rowdy slanging match.

There have been many statements made about what the Bible is or isn't, and who did what, and why, and when, and where, and how, but they are all unsupported opinions.

Is it asking too much to expect a better standard of debate and argument, instead of flinging unsavoury epithets backwards and forwards at each other?

Why should someone be unsulted because they disagree, or because they see things differently?

MORGANITE

:confused:
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2005, 11:49 AM
    Morganite and the Bible
    You have made some good points.
    In regard to the Bible.
    Please keep in mind that it is a book of short books and stories.
    Taken separately many are in support of each other, much more than mere opinions.
    The stories have links too much of the rest of the various publications in one or more ways.
    It is akin to publications where an editor has gathered several essays, statements, books, stories or what have you that run along the same lines. Thus a compilation which makes it easier for a student for he/she no longer needs to gather all those offered in his/her quest for information.
    Thus the Bible is a book of works that stand up for each other; much more than mere opinion.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)

Sep 5, 2005, 06:54 AM
    Have you not ever read any ancient history? Ancient texts? The Apocrypha?
    Ancient Civilizations?
    No real historical evidence?
    Please!
    Anyone who cares to educate themselves can.
    No excuse not to.

Peace to those on the road to illumination.
    Stand and be true

So, someone has some knowledge of Enuma Elish (When on high). I have read it and if you can understand what it is about you will understand that it is more important than anything in the bible. The bible only refers to matters of importance and condenses millennia into one paragraph which on one could hope to understand.
    Same for the Epic of Gilgamesh. It is a personal story, but what story isn't?
    It gives his account of his journey. It helps to understand what his journey is and what really happens.
    Have you ever read Sitchin? The Earth Chronicles? They are worth reading.
    Thank you for responding as you did!
    Peace and love
    On the road to illumination.

Sep 5, 2005, 10:20 AM
    Keenu... please!
    Quote Originally Posted by keenu
    So, someone has some knowledge of Enuma Elish (When on high). I have read it and if you can understand what it is about you will understand that it is more important than anything in the bible.

The bible only refers to matters of importance and condenses millenia into one paragraph which on one could hope to understand.

Same for the Epic of Gilgamesh. It is a personal story, but what story isn't?
    It gives his account of his journey. It helps to understand what his journey is and what really happens.

Have you ever read Sitchin? The Earth Chronicles? They are worth reading.

Thank you for responding as you did!
    Peace and love

on the road to illumination.
    Keenu, you disappoint me. I answered some of the charges that you (unjustly) made, and referred to the works that you referred me to, and now you say, "SO WHAT!" and change the ground of your previous argument rather than discuss the substance of your original post.

Shifting the ground of one's argument for any reason is evidence of crooked thinking. I need you to deal with me better and more honestly than that, or else I shall decline to try to help you.

Could I possibly prevail upon you to post your considered opinion as to the major differences between the Enuma Elish and the Genesis account of creation, and also the major difference between the flood of Gilgamesh and that of Noah? Incidentally, both the Enuma and the Epic sit on my bookshelves.

As you raise these documents up against the Bible, to show, I presume (forgive me if I am wrong), the shortcomings of the Bible, you ought at least to show how, where, and why they are superior/inferior, rather than, as it were, chalking an opinion on a wall and then running away. There is much to discuss, and both of us could learn some things to our profit.

As for Sitchin, I regard him much as I regard Erik von Danneken [sp?].

I return your welcome salute.

MORGANITE

Sep 5, 2005, 06:06 PM
    Enuma and Gilgamesh
    I didn't change my stance... I didn't run away. I had to go to work. Will be back tomorrow.
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2005, 07:30 PM
    Welcome back when you get here.
    Anxiously we await your return.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura) :)
    STONY Posts: 82, Reputation: 11

Sep 12, 2005, 06:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HANK
    Who was the woman from whom Jesus cast out seven demons? What were the demons?

HANK :)

HANK, I DO NOT THINK THE DEMONS ARE CALLED BY NAME AS TO WHAT THERE PARTICULAR CURSES IN HER LIFE WERE... BUT, HERE IS WHAT I HAVE FOUND. Mark 16:9
    [ ((The most reliable early manuscripts and other ancient witnesses do not have Mark 16:9-20.)) ] When Jesus rose early on the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had driven seven demons. Luke 8:2
    And also some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases: Mary (called Magdalene) from whom seven demons had come out;
    Luke 8:1-3 (in Context) Luke 8 (Whole Chapter)
    Luke 10:17
    The seventy-two returned with joy and said, "Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name." HOPE THIS HELPS.
    STONY Posts: 82, Reputation: 11

May 9, 2006, 10:11 AM
    SO WHERE IS THE RESPONSE??
    From: "Ask Me Help Desk" <[email protected]> Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
    Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 01:49:37 -0400

Hello STONY,

Starman has just replied to a discussion you have subscribed to entitled
    "Demons:" in the Religion forum of Ask Me Help Desk.

Do NOT reply to this email. No one will see it.

To see Starman's response and to respond yourself click here:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/religi...-8785-new.html

There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more
    Notifications until you visit the forum again.

Yours,
    Ask Me Help Desk team
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 9, 2006, 10:16 AM
    Very odd. I have no clue. I'll assume for now an anomale. Let us know at Feedback or Forum Help if it happens again.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 9, 2006, 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganite
    Try clicking on the last page shown on the upper right hand corner of this page.

His notification pointed to this thread where there is no Starman posting at all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search