Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2007, 01:46 PM
    The planet that can supposedly support life
    Does anybody know if this new planet with rock and water orbiting a 'red giant' I think it is can support life and if so do you think that we (humans) would be able to live on it
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2007, 01:47 PM
    I think it is too early to even speculate on any possibilities.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2007, 01:49 PM
    Well if you believe the calculations they made about this planet, its about the same distance from the sun as earth and has roughly the same temperatures so in theory it could support life, if there's water on the surface.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2007, 01:50 PM
    I think it is possible there is other life forms. Would that planet be able to sustain our life, I highly doubt it.

For the life forms and make up of gases and genetics and gravity would be different, so life forms would be completely different forms than what has developed here on earth.

Joe
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2007, 01:52 PM
    What "new planet" are you speaking of. Might you be referring to a moon of one of the known planets in our Solar System, Jupiter?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2007, 01:52 PM
    Basically, all we know, is that it's between 0-40 degrees Celsius. So it might have liquid water on the surface. Water is fairly abundant so it wouldn't be surprising. But there might be other reasons life couldn't form there.

It's all been blown out of proportion by the media, as the media likes to do.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2007, 01:53 PM
    Rick, I believe he's talking about Gliese 581 c
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Well all planets are made from the same debris so the gas concentrations should be nearly similar, mostly an oxygen nitrogen atmosphere if the planet has water and presumably plants which would remove carbon dioxide.
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2007, 01:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    Rick, I believe he's talking about Gliese 581 c
    Yes I think this is the one it orbits a red dwarf star and has higher gravity than earth but would anybody agree it is a planet for the future (far far future) for humans to inhabit if it is habbitable.
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Apr 30, 2007, 02:08 PM
    There's no valid reason to assume anything about it at this point.

There could be no atmosphere at all, or there could be any mix of gases you could come up with. Even with an Earth-like atmosphere, there would still be other potential reasons that it would be unable to support life as we know it... a couple that come to mind immediately would be a very low rotational speed causing an extremely long day/night cycle which would lead to wide fluctuations in temperature, or an axial tilt that would point one pole almost directly at the star, leading to one extremely hot side and one extremely cold. There are any number of other possibilities.

Of course, it's also important to note that, in the end, we aren't entirely sure that there IS a planet there. The methodology is sound, and the results are reasonable, but we aren't currently able to verify the result.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2007, 02:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by albear
    yes i think this is the one it orbits a red dwarf star and has higher gravity than earth but would anybody agree it is a planet for the future (far far future) for humans to inhabit if it is habbitable.
    This being the case, I would have to agree with the three who are basically saying that we just do not know enough about the new planet yet.

Yes, it is exciting to learn things such as this but we cannot yet be too excited.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Planet X? [ 3 Answers ]

I've come across a site, www.zetatalk.com, which talks about the passage of a planet known as the 12th planet, and is referred to as "Planet X" in other places. What's the deal about it?

Could the Devil be from another planet? [ 48 Answers ]

This is a silly question maybe, and I know there is no scriptural basis for it. However, I recently saw John Carpenter's movie "Prince of Darkness", and it explains that Satan basically was an ancient evil being from another galaxy who came and tried to take over the earth. Anyway I thought it was...

When its supposedly a gift [ 10 Answers ]

My mother in law gave my husband money (amounting to A$25,000.00) as 'gift' in order to get a house (mortgage); after a year, when she learned that my sister in law paid my husband the money my sister in law owes (A$50,000.), my mother in law asked my husband to pay her back! And now she's suing...

Is it a planet? [ 2 Answers ]

Right now(4:00AM) in Wyoming, in the north eastern part of the sky, just above the horizon there is a HUGE bright star that seems to pulsate(twinkle) When I first saw it I thought it was a UFO! It is very prominent in the sky. Does anyone know if this is a planet or just a very large star? Okay...

View more questions Search