Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2007, 12:12 PM
    Lease Renewal
    Hi,

Just had a question regarding renewal of a lease, our lease has been renewed several times on a long detailed form that looks very official (to me) but a friend who lives in the same building got a lease renewed on a handwritten sheet of white paper. Is this a legal document, it was written by the landlord and signed by them and my friend.

To make it more complicated, its not for the same apartment either, it basically says the lease for apt 1 is transferred to apt 3 and renewed until march 2008.

The reason they wanted me to try and find this info online is that the landlord collected a security deposit, which they just learned is illegal and want to demand it back but don't want to be told they don't have a legal lease.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Apr 30, 2007, 12:16 PM
    A lease can be written on a napkin and still be legal. As long as it contains the basic information (landlord, tenant, apartment, term and rental amount) then it is a legal document.

Why would it be illegal for the landlord to collect a security deposit?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 30, 2007, 12:16 PM
    A lease is a contract between a tenant and landlord. A lease could be on a preprinted form used as a standard. Or it could be on a long form drawn up by an attorney. Or it could be as simple as a handwritten sheet of paper saying; You can rent this apt for $1000/month for 12 months. Any of them is perfectly legal if properly signed.

Not sure what is illegal about collecting a security deposit. If the person is changing apts, maybe a large security is needed.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2007, 01:36 PM
    No no, it's just that in Canada it's no longer legal to collect a security deposit, last months rent as a deposit when moving in or even a deposit for keys.

Should have mentionned this, but thank you, I shall inform them of this.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 30, 2007, 02:21 PM
    They may not be aware that the law in their area changed, but collecting a deposit should not make the entire lease void, only give them grounds to get that money back. Normally they way things are considered, if one part of a lease or contract is not valid becaue of a law, only that clause is effected, not the entire contract.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Commercial Lease Renewal [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Our company is based in Florida, the company's president, as apporved by the board of directors, excercised the lease renewal option for our office for an additional 5 years as stated in our lease agreement. However, the landlord has notifyed us that the renewal is invalid because it was...

Letter of Non Lease Renewal-Less than 60 day notice [ 1 Answers ]

My lease is up on March 17th so I am not breaking my lease. I am notifying them that I do not want to renew. However you are supposed to give a 60 day notice. Here is the catch... The reason I didn't was because I wasn't planning on moving until I heard gunshots, and other sketchy things occurred....

Rental Lease Renewal [ 3 Answers ]

I have 3 questions, 1) Is there any limit (any percentage) in hike in the rent on a house rental lease renewal in Florida? 2) Can I claim my security deposit (which is much higher than normal deposit as initially I didn't have rental history/credit history) during lease renewal? 3) Can I...

10 month lease renewal? [ 1 Answers ]

What date does your lease give as the expiration date? Not every lease is for one year. Also, your lease may state that you have to give 60 days notice. If so then the landlord should have told you that your notice period expires on January 31st, rather than the lease itself. Read your lease...

View more questions Search