Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bb1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2007, 10:37 AM
    Baby shower host
    For various reasons, I am considering hosting a baby shower for my daughter. I've read some information on the web saying it's perfectly OK for a grandmother-to-be to host a shower, but I guess I've always thought that etiquette dictated that mothers of the guest of honor should not host a shower. There is no-one else on our side of the family who is capable of hosting. What do you think? Should I move forward with it?
    lfsxthnudie Posts: 26, Reputation: -2

Apr 30, 2007, 10:42 AM
    Of course you can! Your daughter deserves it! Go ahead! Who better than mom? Ask her friends to help you out with decorations and party games, I'm sure they would love to be involved, but you can certainly host the shower. Have fun!
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2007, 12:44 PM
    Bb, plenty of Grandmothers-to-be host baby showers for their daughters! There is absolutely no ettiquette against it. Actually, most of the time, it is the grandmother-to-be who throws the baby shower. Sometimes best girl friends do it, but it isn't considered a "must do", at all. I think you might be confusing the ettiquette of wedding showers with baby showers. Wedding showers should be held by the maid(matron) of honor.

So, move forward with it! Revel in your joy at being a new grandmother! Have fun!

Oh, and Congratulations by the way. :)
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

May 9, 2007, 05:15 PM
    The formal etiquette rules would say that you should not host a shower for your own daughter. That said, a lot of people could give a flip what the formal rules are, so consider your guests and whether they would be offended.

My suggestion is that perhaps you talk to one of your daughter's friends and offer to pay for the shower if she will host it (either at your home, her own home, or a different location). That way you are making sure your daughter gets the royal treatment - which is thoughtful as she's sure to enjoy it and remember it always - but you can avoid the social pitfall of hosting it yourself.

As an alternative to one of her friends, what about a close friend of your own who cares about your daughter? My wedding shower was hosted by my mother's best friend. She didn't even know most of the guests - they were my peers - but she was thrilled to do it.
    DeirdreG Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2007, 02:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bb1234
    For various reasons, I am considering hosting a baby shower for my daughter. I've read some information on the web saying it's perfectly ok for a grandmother-to-be to host a shower, but I guess I've always thought that etiquette dictated that mothers of the guest of honor should not host a shower. There is no-one else on our side of the family who is capable of hosting. What do you think? Should I move forward with it?
    Go for it! Most "tradition" is slightly altered these days anyway. We are not 1950's housewives whispering over tea about the neighbor who breached baby shower etiquette. Plan the shower, host the shower and enjoy every moment of this exciting time. It's about Momma and baby... who cares what anyone else thinks! What an exiting time and congratulations!
    seradee Posts: 29, Reputation: 6

Dec 7, 2007, 01:37 AM
    Why not be Proud Grandma? You celebrating a new life requires no etiquette I think you should post it on a billboard in neon pink,(or blue!) Invite every one in town and absolutely have spot ligths on the both of you--you helped too! Your also giving your daughter something to look forward to---maybe getting to help her daughter with a baby shower someday. Plus, doing this for her will only show how much you support her and are there for her, and shell always bragg about the wonderful mom who threw her a babyshower. You have been blessed, lucky girl.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Not invited to sister in laws baby shower! [ 8 Answers ]

We live very near and see my brother and sister in law frequently and although I will admit I do not care for her that has never been expressed to anyone but my husband and he feels the same. She is having a baby shower this weekend and as I was talking with my mother in law I asked what the...

Baby Shower Question [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I am in a bit of a pickle here. I am throwing a baby shower for a close friend of mine and another friend of hers was going to help me. However, I have never heard from her, I have called twice and e-mailed 4 or 5 times with no luck. Now the invites need to go out. My question is... can...

To host or not to host out of town guests? [ 2 Answers ]

Is it considered rude to suggest family members to stay at a hotel when they come to your state for a visit? My husband and I live near a "tourist-y" city. We both work full time jobs with long hours. His brother mentioned he would like to visit soon when their boys get a bit older. I...

Baby Shower- need help [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a baby shower to go to for my sister in law tomorrow, it's a surprise one that my mother in law and her sisters from 3 hours away are driving down to throw it for her. My problem is that I don't want to go because they never threw a shower for me 2 years ago with my daughter, which I...

Baby Shower - kind of long - need help [ 5 Answers ]

I'm have a very akward situation. My youngest (21) sister is pregnant. She's the youngest of three girls and is the first to have a child. When she was only 2 months pregnant her best friend (19) said she wanted to throw the baby shower, which is fine. I know that customary the family members of...

View more questions Search