Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HANK Posts: 98, Reputation: 5

Apr 2, 2005, 11:56 AM
    Self Esteem:
    " Character cannot be made except by a steady, long continued process.
    - Phillips Brooks

In what stage are you?

HANK :)
    keenu Posts: 114, Reputation: 9

Apr 3, 2005, 05:58 PM
    Character
    Self esteem and character are not the same.
    I have known MANY who had much self esteem and NOT much character.
    LOL (actually more sad than funny!)
    But, anyway, I believe that we are born with our character.
    I also believe that is is ever-changing, fluctuating and morphing.
    But the BASIC personality is there, the clay with which we mold our character.
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Sep 21, 2005, 11:33 AM
    Character and self-esteem
    Human beings are so prone to flatter each other and to use the art of sophistry that a true measure of character cannot always be accurately ascertained by the words we speak. We adults are not as little children. They are frank and honest in expressing their opinions.

Perhaps that is one reason why Jesus declared that except we become as little children we cannot enter into the kingdom of heaven.

The only sure measuring rod of character, therefore, is the sum-total of all our thoughts. The claim has been made that if we could look into the hearts and minds of boys and girls and perceive their thoughts--especially their thoughts when their minds are operating undisciplined away from their daily assigned tasks--we could have a rather safe criterion by which to judge their future happiness and sorrow.

It is a well-known fact that as thoughts blossom forth into actions, joy and sorrow are the results. Thus it can be said to a young man or to a young woman: "You tell me your thoughts, and I will tell you your future."

Since the key to every man is his thoughts, we should thoroughly understand that our habitual thoughts will completely determine our character, for the soul is truly dyed by the thoughts. Therefore, thought and character are one. Our reputation is what men believe us to be, but our character is what God and angels actually know of us.

If we would do as the Lord has commanded, we could rest assured of receiving blessings in great abundance. Then we could sing with the psalmist of old:

Who shall ascend into the hill of the Lord? or who shall stand in his holy place? He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully. He shall receive the blessing from the Lord, and righteousness from the God of his salvation. (Psalm 24:3-5.)

What man among us, having such a characater, could lack self esteem, or feel inferior to his fellows? He might be, and should be, the humblest of men, but both God and he will know his true worth.

Among the strong helps to gain self-respect are personal purity and proper thoughts which are the bases of all proper action. All men should appreciate the value there is in this practice, and in giving their days to the service of the Lord.

The Savior set a striking example, and was early about his Father's business. He did not leave it until his older years, but even as early as twelve he had developed so far in this line that he was able to teach men of wisdom and doctors of knowledge in the temple.

Samuel, the prophet, had so prepared himself by a pure, self-respecting childhood that he was perfectly attuned to the whisperings of God.

The shepherd youth David was chosen above his older brethren to serve in high places in the Master's cause.

A great psychologist, MacDougall, once said: "The first thing to be done to help a man to moral regeneration is to restore if possible his self-respect."

Also I recall the prayer of the old English weaver, "O God, help me to hold a high opinion of myself."

That should be the prayer of every soul; not an abnormally developed self-esteem that becomes haughtiness, conceit, or arrogance, but a righteous self-respect that might be defined as "belief in one's own worth, worth to God, and worth to man."

MORGANITE

:)
    Irulan Posts: 92, Reputation: 17

Nov 5, 2005, 09:20 PM
    I don't equate the two - so your question makes no sense.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2005, 05:04 AM
    Self Esteem
    Hi,
    I also have known some in my lifetime who have great self esteem, but I would never want their character, or characteristics of behavior.
    Personally, my own "character" is being worked on everyday, just one day at a time. Everyone, who has the willingness, can change attitudes, and work on character.
    Self esteem is different, and can also be improved through work, day by day, or with help.

Nov 10, 2005, 06:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    I also have known some in my lifetime who have great self esteem, but I would never want their character, or characteristics of behavior.
    Personally, my own "character" is being worked on everyday, just one day at a time. Everyone, who has the willingness, can change attitudes, and work on character.
    Self esteem is different, and can also be improved through work, day by day, or with help.
    Agreed, excessive self esteem is tantamount to hubris, which is a character flaw, thus not conducive to an unblemished [good] character.

Nov 12, 2005, 08:37 AM
    Self-esteem
    Quote Originally Posted by Irulan
    Agreed, excessive self esteem is tantamount to hubris, which is a character flaw, thus not conducive to an unblemished [good] character.

Why focus on the abormal?

Self-esteem is necessary to prevent the individual dwelling forever under the weight of an intractible depression.

Self-esteem is a continuum: too litle and the individual feels permanently worthless; too much and the individual feels that all others besides her are permanently worthless.

Proper self-esteem and due regard for the worth of others are marks of a healthy mind and a good character. Seek after these things.

MORGANITE

Nov 12, 2005, 10:38 AM
    Explanation:
    Irulan... A person's self-esteem usually determines a person's character because if you're low on the totem poll, you'll probably be an average cowpoke. If you're high on the totem pole, you'll succeed because you'll find the analytical tools that's needed to ward off incorrect thinking about yourself, your job and those around you.

Nov 12, 2005, 11:23 AM
    Fredge:
    A person also needs the analytical tools to ward off incorrect thinking.

Nov 12, 2005, 02:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganite
    Why focus on the abormal?

Self-esteem is necessary to prevent the individual dwelling forever under the weight of an intractible depression.

Self-esteem is a continuum: too litle and the individual feels permanently worthless; too much and the individual feels that all others besides her are permanently worthless.

Proper self-esteem and due regard for the worth of others are marks of a healthy mind and a good character. Seek after these things.

MORGANITE
    Not focusing on the negative, my comment was in agreement to a comment made by Fredd .... one, expressing that excess self esteem can and usually promotes unrealistic and unhealthy situations. I advocate the middle path, self esteem is a necessary for the human psyche when it is commensurate with self control and realistic self awareness.

This is what self esteem means to me:

--Self esteem does not mean seeing yourself as the greatest person in the world.
    --It's not the same as being conceited.

--Healthy self esteem means liking yourself, for the most part, as you are.

--You can have OK self esteem and still have occasional bouts of self doubt.

--How you feel about yourself depends on who you compare yourself with.

--Healthy self esteem means thinking as highly of yourself as you think of your peers.

--Excessive self esteem = being over confident or complacent.

--OK self esteem is compatible with humility.

--Humility is not the same as self-effacement.

--The right balance should place you mid-way between grandiosity and self-effacement.

Nov 14, 2005, 08:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HANK
    Irulan ... A person's self-esteem usually determines a person's character because if you're low on the totem poll, you'll probably be an average cowpoke. If you're high on the totem pole, you'll succeed because you'll find the analytical tools that's needed to ward off incorrect thinking about yourself, your job and those around you.

Hank,

I don't agree.

...As you said ..."usually".....self esteem may or may not help build character....it depends on a myriad of circumstances....granted it is a 'building block' but not the 0ne and Only aspect of character building.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 14, 2005, 08:37 PM
    State
    I have most certainly been called a "character" so I must be fully one

Nov 15, 2005, 10:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    I have most certainly been called a "character" so I must be fully one

Have you been called a cowpoke's totem pole?

MORGANITE

:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bad luck, bad karma, or bad self-esteem? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently heard once again a comment I've heard many, MANY times over the past several years: "You and your husband have worse luck than anyone else I know!" and I have one question: "Why is that?" You see, just about the time we get to the point we can manage to keep up on all our monthly...

Self image and self esteem [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, I have eating disorder (which I am getting help for) and of course myself esteem andself image is not good so I wanted to know if there are tapes out there to help elevate the self esteem, I think a person with these issues needs to hear from a motivational speaker every day to help sticking...

Low self esteem [ 5 Answers ]

I'm 28 years old and I'm a stay at home mom to a 13 month old. Over the past 5 years I have gained 50 pounds. I'm starting Weight Watchers and joining a gym so that I can get my weight under control. I'm a good mother and I try to be a good wife. Other than that though I feel like a waste of...

Questions for self-esteem [ 3 Answers ]

I'd like help with what kind of questions to put to a music teacher who has self-esteem problems. I don't want to ask the wrong kind of questions and this is the first time I have had a performer. I am the only counsellor in a rural town and this person is having issues with being unsure of himself...

View more questions Search