Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    INeedHelp505 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2005, 11:01 AM
    Simple Rotational motion question
    I've been getting help from sparknotes.com and I've come across an example that has stumped me.

The page is at http://www.sparknotes.com/testprep/b...section4.rhtml

I'm at example 2 (toward the bottom of the page).

The problem comes when they use Newton's second law to solve for the tensions. It says that the sum of the forces = 3mg - T1 = 3ma. I don't understand how mg suddenly turns into ma and (-T1) disappears.

If any could enlighten me, I'd appreciate it!
    Dr_Calculus Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2005, 03:50 PM
    to the rescue!
    Ok, here is your misunderstanding. On mass 1, there are two "forces" acting. The tension in the rope and the weight of the mass. We don't know the tension of the rope, so we called it T1. But we DO know that the weight is 3 mg. Now, we know that T1 represents SOME force, which means we can state it as 3m(something). So when we solve it, we get: 3mg-3m(something)=3ma where a is equal to g-(something). Oh, and (something) is an acceleration of some sort. The a in the equation is a variable, not a defined constant.

Hope that clears things up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Simple equal sign question! [ 2 Answers ]

Here is the problem. I have a proportions question. I have it simplified down to a-12=24. For all I know, a may equal 36. Is there a "might be equal to" sign? If so, describe it, please. Thanks! :D

Simple Question -any advice will be helpful [ 15 Answers ]

I was divorced last year. We have two children and I am still struggling. I was the first signer on my ex-husbands truck, he was the "co-buyer." In our decree he was declared responsible for the truck payment since I have the house and all other debt - which I pay regularly, but not easily. My...

Simple opt --> h1b Tax Question(s) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I am a single little Canadian citizen with these characteristics: OPT from March 23, 2005 to August 17, 2005. H1B from September 17, 2005 to present. 1) Does this qualify me for dual residecy? 2) For two pay periods while I was on OPT (March/April), Social Security and ...

Simple Tax Question [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I've a simple tax question. I was on OPT until September 2005 and my H1 started from October 1st, 2005. I wanted to know what forms do I need to file and what deductions can I claim? I started paying social security and medicare taxes from October 1st. Thank you. Himanshu.

Can anyone solve this simple question? [ 3 Answers ]

Can anybody explain how to solve this question? 70% of students answered question A correctly, 55% of students answered question B correctly, 20% of students answered neither question correctly. What is the percentage of students answered both question A and B correctly?

View more questions Search