Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigdutch1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2004, 11:32 PM
    Cdrom atapi incompatible
    I just bought a new computer over the Internet, and it looks like I can't get the cdrw to work. This is a bare bones type, so there is no OS. When I switch it on, the message Sec Master Drive - ATAPI incompatible appears. The HD & CDRW are on separate cables, so 2 masters are allowed, right? The CDRW wouldn't work at all at first, so after opening her up, I discovered the power cable wasn't attached. I thought that would solve it, but after working twice, it wouldn't open anymore. The green light stayed on, though it was consistently on, i.e. not blinking. I swopped it with an old CDRW, and that works, but the message still appears. I fdisc'ed and formatted the HD with an old Win98 floppy bootdisk, but of course there is no D:\ All of my OS's are on Cd's, and I think I've lost my DOS floppies. This is my first AMD mobo computer, (Pro 2400+) but I've never heard of incompatibility problems with ATAPI. The site tech help where I got the computer from just told me to send the whole thing back, at my cost. I was hoping there was an easier way out?
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Apr 3, 2004, 01:49 AM
    Re: cdrom atapi incompatible
    I just bought a new computer over the Internet, and it looks like I can't get the cdrw to work. This is a bare bones type, so there is no OS.
    Did the cdrw come with the computer? Was it already hooked up?

]
    When I switch it on, the message Sec Master Drive - ATAPI incompatible appears.
    Odd...

Make sure the jumper is set correctly.
    Make sure the IDE cable is not upside down. :) ;D
    I hate to say this, but the last time I tried plugging in a dead hard drive (some idiot dropped the case), the message the BIOS spat out at me was "Configuration Error." Maybe the drive is, in fact, dead.

]
    The HD & CDRW are on separate cables, so 2 masters are allowed, right?
    Yes. It's better that way.

]
    The CDRW wouldn't work at all at first, so after opening her up, I discovered the power cable wasn't attached.
    Wait. I'm confused. They sold you a computer, with a cdrw, but did not attach the power cable to the cdrw. Hmm...

]
    I thought that would solve it, but after working twice, it wouldn't open anymore.
    That's very odd. Try reseating the cables again, just for the heck of it.

]
    The green light stayed on, though it was consistently on, i.e. not blinking. I swopped it with an old CDRW, and that works, but the message still appears. I fdisc'ed and formatted the HD with an old Win98 floppy bootdisk, but of course there is no D:\ All of my OS's are on Cd's, and I think I've lost my DOS floppies. This is my first AMD mobo computer, (Pro 2400+) but I've never heard of incompatibility problems with ATAPI. The site tech help where I got the computer from just told me to send the whole thing back, at my cost. I was hoping there was an easier way out?
    The message still appears even with the working cdrw in? Odd. Very odd. Snoop around in the BIOS setup for anything suspicious. That's really all I can say.

Test the drive in another computer.

~psi42
    parselee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2004, 08:59 PM
    Re: cdrom atapi incompatible
    I got this error after updating the bios on an intel BI440ZX from P03 to P09.  
    It was resolved after setting the bios to its original settings, which is recommended
    In the update instructions that I originally missed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cdrom [ 7 Answers ]

I just built a Computer with a Biostar M7ncd Ultra nforce2 socket A motherboard, and a new Sempron 3300 with 1 gig of memory, I can't get it to recognize or find my CDROM, at the startup screen when it searches, it shows up, and also in the BIOS< but when I get to windows it's not in explorer or my...

Sec slave ATAPI incompatible [ 8 Answers ]

:confused: :confused: hi folks this is driving me nuts Gigabyte 6wmm7 motherboard 1x HD 1Xcdrom 512 ram goes through post then stops at this message,"Sec slave ATAPI incompatible" I have no secondary device connected tried changing cdrom to cable select , no joy, can't get into setup even after...

Atapi Dvd-rom 16 Max [ 7 Answers ]

Hello,, I have just noticed that my dvd-rom drive is not showing up when I open 'my computer', I then opended the 'device manager',and in the general box it says "THIS DEVICE IS DISABLED. (CODE 22). When I click on 'enable this device it says 'Windows was not able to enable this device'. I also...

Cdrom [ 1 Answers ]

My cdrom in windows98 SE platform is not reading the cdrw written in the winxp platform -using nero(another computer). But it is reading the cdr written in the same software. When I am accessing the cdrom to open cdrw - it is telling device is not ready. But as I said the cdr is opening in the same...

Atapi incompatible [ 1 Answers ]

Getting error message when I installed my new cdrom drive sec slave drive atapi incompatible what can I do please help

View more questions Search