Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    denali58 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2005, 12:43 PM
    Modem com port 4
    I have come across this problem a few times but can never remember how I fixed it.

My modem is installing on COM port 4, I only have COM port 1 and 2. I have NO resource conflicts, have uninstalled and reinstalled many times with the same result.

Thanks

Dan
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Apr 1, 2005, 01:11 PM
    What modem do you have?
    What kind of modem is it?
    What exactly is the problem?
    denali58 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2005, 05:18 PM
    Modem
    The modem is a HSP56 AUDIOMODEM RISER

I just installed a new HD, and the drivers for the modem and sound card.

The problem is that my modem intalls on COM port 4, I do not have a Com Port 4, just a COM port 1 and 2.

Dan
    cbee55 Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Apr 2, 2005, 03:12 AM
    The reason the modem installs on COM4, even though you don't appear to have one, is because the internal modem has, in it's simplistic terms, it's own COM port built in, hence COM4.

COM4 shares the same Interrupt as COM2, and providing nothing is using COM2 it shouldn't cause any problems (although in practise you can use COM2 and 4 at the same time, but can have problems). However on many newer PCs, you may find COM4 is using a different IRQ to COM2.

If the modem is working OK, and I would leave it at COM4, rather than mess about trying to get around it.
    jackevans1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2012, 06:21 AM
    Hi
    I've got a ps3 and I can not get online with mw3 I've been told its my netgear but I still can't do it I've tryrd opening ports but still no joy if any one has any ideas it would be a masive help .
    Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

USB Adaptor in PS/2 Port [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Fujitsu laptop running Win 98SE and it does not have any USB ports. I have this adaptor that allows me to convert a PS/2 port into a USB port for plugging USB peripherals in. I've run hardware scans, restarted the computer, etc. and I can't get it to recognize the USB adaptor...

Port Wide Open [ 5 Answers ]

Hi-- Just did a scan on my computer for ports--I have one that is wide open--How do I go about closing it?-Thanks

View more questions Search