Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    senadawn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2007, 05:22 PM
    BAD SMELL I have a very bad smell coming from my toilet
    I live on a slab, older house & have a horrible smell coming from one of my bathrooms, also there are nats flying out of my shower drain. Do you have any idea on what this could be... I really don't have the money for a plumber... please let me know any suggestions... Thank You

:confused:
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2007, 10:04 PM
    Do you often use this bathroom? Is it possible that the traps are dry?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 30, 2007, 06:46 AM
    : Try this. Remove the two screws holding the strainer. (TIP; put the screws in the soap dish before they get lost down the drain.) Shine a light down there and with a bent coathanger fish out any hair that may be hiding down there. Then pour a 1/2 gal. of bleach down into the trap and let it set over night. Next morning flush the mess down with 2 latge pans of boiling water, (this is important). The bleach will desolve the hair and make it slippery and the boiling water will melt the grease and get the mess out of your drain. Smell better now? Cheers TOM
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 30, 2007, 07:51 AM
    Those are not gnats. Try this site for info, they are living in your drains and Tom's mix will get them. drain flies, moth flies drain fly control treatment You should consider replacing you toilet wax ring and make sure to securely reinstall the toilet with no rocking or movement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bad smell problem - please help [ 10 Answers ]

:( I feel like crying because we can't get rid of this smell in the house and it is driving us crazy. We have our wedding reception at home in a few weeks time and I am getting really worried that we won't be able to get rid of it before then. It all started 2 or 3 weeks ago... from one day...

Bad smell under house [ 8 Answers ]

I have read a lot of similar questions to mine, but none seem to describe my situation exactly so here goes: I have absolutely no clue about plumbing although I'm beginning to figure out some things. My husband and I bought our first house last year and it's proving to be a lot of work. It's a...

Really bad smell coming from Whirlpool dryer [ 3 Answers ]

Discovered a noxious odor last night coming from our dryer. Husband has gotten the front panel off and vaccuumed everything we can see. Also removed the lint filter cover and cleaned that out. Nothing's in the vanes... Any ideas? The back panel seems to be spot-welded on (or at least painted...

Bad smell in house [ 1 Answers ]

We have a sewage-like stinky smell that seems to come and go and we believe is coming from a bathroom in our home. We have a septic tank but it has been recently cleaned out. Our plumber can't locate a problem. We're not sure exactly where it's coming from and have no idea what it is. We also...

Problem With Toilet And Bad Smell In Living Room [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am hoping for some general advice before I start shelling out. We got our bathroom upgraded recently - (new shower toilet and bath) and all was fine for a few weeks - so I don't know if subsequent problems were caused by this or it's just coincidence. We live in one of the ground...

View more questions Search