Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kepper Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2007, 10:14 AM
    Can I file a lien on someone's real property?
    Hello,
    I made a personal loan (5k) to my sister and her husband in another state. I have a notorized signed promissory note on this loan. The loan was for the purpose of them buying real estate property. They are getting a divorce. Long story short: I would like to file a lien on this property. I am thinking if I do this, and they attempt to sell this property at some point in the future, this lien will have to be satisfied before they can sell.

The property is in Idaho and I live in Arizona.

2 questions:

1) Can I do this?

2) How do start the process?

Thanks for your consideration.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Apr 29, 2007, 11:19 AM
    Determine small claims court limit in Idaho and file in Small Claims, get a judgement and record it against the property... you can't lien the property without a judgement.

Apr 29, 2007, 03:03 PM
    Thanks. I think I've determined that the small claims limit is 4,000.00.

So, would I need to contact an attorney in Idaho to file for me, or can I use an attorney in AZ, or can I do this myself without the aid of an attorney.

Thanks again for your quick reply.

Apr 29, 2007, 03:05 PM
    Check SCC limit in AZ AND how you can record a "foreign" judgement from AZ in Idaho... your "note" should have a collection provision with attorney fee clause so hiring an attorney in ID may be your best option.

Apr 29, 2007, 03:19 PM
    Small Claims - Self-Help Center, Idaho Supreme Court

According to this website, the Idaho limit is $5,000... double check the $4,000 you found as the websites I checked have VA's limit at $2,000 and it is $5,000 as of 7/1/06

Apr 29, 2007, 03:35 PM
    Hhmmm. Iteresting. Thanks. I should have made a note of the website I checked. I'll other sites as well.

Thanks again!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 29, 2007, 03:39 PM
    Even if you get a judgement you may not be able to file a lien. Unless you can prove that the purpose of the loan was to purchase that property, most states do not allow a lien for unsecured debt to be placed against a primary residence.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A property that had a lien on it [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have a question. I was wondering how they can sell a property that had a lien on it. I live in the state of Ohio and they just did this us recently. Our home was foreclosed on and it had a lien on it and now we are getting sued by the place that placed the lien on it in the first place. How...

File a lien on Real Property [ 1 Answers ]

I loaned a friend some money, and she is not able to pay it back, and is currently ready to be foreclosed on, she suggested for me to put a lien on her property, to guarantee my getting paid, what do I need to do, or what forms do I need to accomplish this. Bob Bumann

Property lien [ 2 Answers ]

Hi- I purchased a home about 2 years ago in the state of New Jersey. I am recently having problems with my spouse and contemplating a divorce. While applying for a home equity loan, I found that the house has a lien against a federal case my husband lost a few years after we married. My question...

Property taxes/lien on property [ 2 Answers ]

We have been taking care of the rental properties across the street from us for many years as the landlord lives in Arkansas. We have never been paid for these services. We repair and maintain these properties, and the last tenants we even collected the rent and deposited into the landlord’s...

View more questions Search