Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jl022306 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2007, 10:38 PM
    I shop lifted for the first time
    Hi. I'm 16 years old from San Jose California. And I have a lot of questions...

First, let me tell you what happened:

I went to the mall with a couple of friends and decided to shoplift a store. But we still bought a pair of shorts to make it look like we didn't steal. But as when we got out of the store, and undercover security stopped us and brought us in where the cameras were hidden. They gave us the "you have the right to remain silent" speech. They took my information and asked for my parents to come and pick me up. We stole from two stores but all in all we took no more $200 dollars worth of items. But the friend that I was with me has been caught shoplifting before and it is in her records. And they said that if they see on the video that I put items in her bag, I will be in more trouble.

Now my question is:

Will I go to juvenile hall?
    Will this go on my records that will affect my college and job applications?
    What do I put when I apply for a job and they ask "have you ever been arrested or convicted of a felony?"
    What is my maximum punishment?
    Who will be able to see my records?
    Will I be charged as a minor?
    Do I need a lawyer?
    I have, good grades 5-A's 2-B's and I'm in sports. Will this help my trial?
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Apr 29, 2007, 05:27 AM
    Discuss this with you parents, they might decide to employ an attorney, don't run from it, face it and get it past you. Don't put it off as it will just get worse for you. You age may help protect you from serious consequences. Use your experience as a tool and if you can, talk to a person training in helping you figure out what led you to do this. You need to think, talk it out with someone other than a parent, someone whom you spill your guts to confidentially and who is trained to listen.
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Apr 29, 2007, 05:45 AM
    Every notice every shoplifter we get its " the first time" ?-- Savage
    Auttajasi Posts: 107, Reputation: 27

Apr 29, 2007, 10:09 PM
    With a lawyer you will have more bargaining power to plead your case. I'm not sure, but $200 worth combined should not be a felony. Since it is your first time, I would guess that the DA won't give you too hard of a time. Dress really nice for your court proceedings. "Yes, your honor," and "no, your honor." Highlight the fact that you are a good student and that you just had a moment of juvenile stupidity. My guess is that you won't go to a juvi hall, and that this will be a minor bump on your record. Your punishment will probably be based on whether they think you will do it again, but then again they may give you a big enough punishment to scare you out of doing something like this again. Tough to tell without all the facts, but don't pull your hair out about this one. Just cooperate. As a disclaimer, don't be mad at the 'system' for whatever punishment you get. Just take it like a man (woman? Can't tell from your posting) and don't steal anymore. ( I am not a lawyer, but I have experience working in the criminal justice system ). I will cross my fingers for a small fine and community service. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When does a detainer get lifted [ 14 Answers ]

Hi my boyfriend got aressted on a probation violation and he went to court and everything was dropped.. but my aunt said that he would have to wait till a judge signs this off so he can get out... can any one tell me how this works ? I would really appericate it.. thank you so much... and that the...

Shop Vac [ 1 Answers ]

I broke the plastic, white filter nut on my shop vac. Can I fix this or will I need to buy a new shop vac? Thanks, Christine:cool:

Thrift shop [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what I do to open :rolleyes: a thrift shop?

Coffee Shop [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to start a small coffee shop but I have no idea how to start to find the information I need. Can anyone help to start me on the right path?

View more questions Search