Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NDfan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2007, 08:24 PM
    Sore throat for 5 weeks
    I was on 3 series of antibiotics for ringing in my ear over a period of 4 weeks and then finished them. A week later white spots appeared on my throat and tonsils but no pain for the first week. The first day I noticed the white spots I went into MedPoint and a doctor prescribed Augmentin (another antibiotic) even though I tested negative for strep (the quick test). On the 5th day of using the antibiotics I broke out in a rash. I stopped the antibiotic and took some benedryl and it went away. I didn't do anything for two weeks and my throat got progressively worse. Swollen lymph nodes, white spots on throat, night sweats/chills were the symptoms I was experiencing. I decided to go see "my" doctor and I had a mono test which came back negative. I had a gonorrhea test and that came back negative. My doctor put me on another antibiotic and 6 days into that one I was experiencing muscle spasms, a stiff neck and stopped taking it and the stiffness faded. I told my doctor that it felt like I had a knot in my throat and he sent me to have a cat scan done on my throat thinking I might have an abscess and nothing showed up at all. My white blood cell count came back normal also. Anyway, it's been close to 5 weeks now and the white spots are gone but I still have tender lymph nodes and my voice box hurts. I've been to an ear, nose, throat doctor and he looked at my throat and voice box and says he sees nothing wrong. I'm a teacher and the teacher in the room next to me is experiencing the same symptoms I have and has had them for 3 or 4 weeks now. I just learned that two other teachers have white spots on their throat now. I am frustrated not knowing what this is and now it seems other people are getting it too.
    ginaforsyth Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2007, 11:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NDfan
    I was on 3 series of antibiotics for ringing in my ear over a period of 4 weeks and then finished them. A week later white spots appeared on my throat and tonsils but no pain for the first week. The first day I noticed the white spots I went into MedPoint and a doctor prescribed Augmentin (another antibiotic) even though I tested negative for strep (the quick test). On the 5th day of using the antibiotics I broke out in a rash. I stopped the antibiotic and took some benedryl and it went away. I didn't do anything for two weeks and my throat got progressively worse. Swollen lymph nodes, white spots on throat, night sweats/chills were the symptoms I was experiencing. I decided to go see "my" doctor and I had a mono test which came back negative. I had a gonorrhea test and that came back negative. My doctor put me on another antibiotic and 6 days into that one I was experiencing muscle spasms, a stiff neck and stopped taking it and the stiffness faded. I told my doctor that it felt like I had a knot in my throat and he sent me to have a cat scan done on my throat thinking I might have an abscess and nothing showed up at all. My white blood cell count came back normal also. Anyway, it's been close to 5 weeks now and the white spots are gone but I still have tender lymph nodes and my voice box hurts. I've been to an ear, nose, throat doctor and he looked at my throat and voice box and says he sees nothing wrong. I'm a teacher and the teacher in the room next to me is experiencing the same symptoms I have and has had them for 3 or 4 weeks now. I just learned that two other teachers have white spots on their throat now. I am frustrated not knowing what this is and now it seems other people are getting it too.
    You did not state whether the first doctor who prescribed the 3 antibiotics for ear ringing was advised of your throat condition. It seems likely that the ear doctor might have the ability to research or at the very least, document this as a possible side effect of the first set of antibiotics. Sometimes ear ringing and other ear/nose/throat conditions have a link to household cleaners and other urban lifestyle chemicals that seem normal, but which really aren't natural. Find a wellness consultant in a health food store, and explain your symptoms. You might have a suppressed immune system due to a vitamin deficiency or merely because your body has been exposed to higher than normal toxins in the air. A medical doctor will only go on the symptoms you report and are only trained to inquire about symptoms in the realm of the symptoms you mention. They are not trained to analyze and advise on the state of your lifestyle, household/work environment and diet, and just don't have the time for it in a normal office visit.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2007, 11:57 PM
    I know your fustration... I truly do...
    I had a similar situation not to long ago that the health expert here helped me with.
    I don't know if it's what you have, and you're doing right by seeing your Dr's, but this sounds a lot like what happened to me and my family with a run in with strep throat.

Some of our quick tests came back negative, but after they were cultured, it showed positive.
    It took a very long time for it to go away.My family was also on several antibiotics too.

We had the white spots on the throat and swollen glands.
    I even had the lymph nodes under my arms to swell up which lasted for weeks after the strep was gone.

I had to throw away everything that came into contact with our mouths and buy new (toothbrushes, toothpaste, chapstick, lipstick).
    I had to sanitize the entire house, wash all our sheets in hot water, spray Lysol throughout the entire house and car...
    It was a big pain, but it finally went away after I did all that...

It wouldn't be safe to assume that this is what's being passed around though.

If you haven't already done everything I just listed, it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.
    Perhaps you and some of the other teachers could pitch in to buy some Lysol spray to do your classrooms with too.

I wish you the best, I really do.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2007, 01:22 AM
    As a teacher where do you teach. Do you teach in a school or one of those outside rooms? Is there mold present anywhere. There are many possibilities. Are any of the students having similar symptoms?
    k1j14mom Posts: 108, Reputation: 6

Apr 29, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Could just be viral but I know it is a pain because about a year ago I keep getting strep and I would finish the antibotic and 3 to 4 days later it would come back I went through this process so many times I lost count. I had to have my tonsils taken out about 3 months later so I pretty much had strep for 3 months. Try ibuprofen and graggling warm salt water it helped for me also using a mouth wash my help you may just keep reinfecting yourself and if you have the people around you getting it too it may just be a passing back forth thing. Remember that you need a new toothbrush and brushing and using mouth wash 3 times a day will help lower the bacteria in your month. Hope this helps. I know throat pain sucks!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cures for sore throat, possible strep? [ 8 Answers ]

Well I have a very bad sore throat right now... I can barely talk! I have had this for three days, I have a doctors appointment on Wednesday to see if I have strep (which I get at least once a year) and to get on antibiotics. But till then, I want it to stop hurting so badly! I have tried the...

Baby is 4`1/2 weeks in growth and I thought I was 6 weeks [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, I am a new wife of 6 months with an amazing husband... we recently in August had a miscarriage and now became pregnant again... here's the thing... My last period was on dec 22nd and I am NOT regular.. between 32-39 day cycles... I had an ultra sound today and it said my baby was only about...

Sore breast 3 weeks before period.Am I pregnant? [ 5 Answers ]

I wanted to know if any one can give me some clarity or some suggestion to the question below. My breast usually get soar about a week before my period. But, this particular month, they have been feeling sore three weeks prior to my expect period. My nails are getting long and not breaking when...

6 weeks : no period or sore breasts [ 5 Answers ]

I had an abortion on February 23 and I was supposed to wait 2-3 weeks before having intercourse. My b/f and I had sex around the 2nd week in march, I haven't had a period since the first the first time I was pregnant and that was in January. I know I'm pregnant about 6 weeks but I don't have any...

Wisdom tooth and sore throat [ 6 Answers ]

Yesterday my lower right wisdom tooth started hurting. It was so bad that tensing my jaw in any way, eating and talking hurt. When I got up this morning my throat was (and still is) very sore, it hurts to swallow and when itry and open my mouth it hurts, and feels Very stiff. Is this normal or am I...

View more questions Search