Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DI720 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2007, 07:39 PM
    Dinner invitation?
    I received a dinner invitation on my answering machine from a friend I generally see every few months. It was to be at her home in 21/2 weeks. As I was away when the message was left, I returned her call about 4 days later once I was home. I reached her answering machine, expressed my apologies for the slight delay in responding and also gratitude and acceptance for her invite. This was about 12 days before the dinner date. I said I would call again within a week to speak to her personally. Exactly one week early of the invited date, I received a message expressing the time she was expecting me to arrive THAT night! A second message to my cell phone a few minutes later, expressed her confusion as to whether she had invited me that evening or a week later. But that I was welcome to both, as she apparently was hosting two different parties. It was weird but I called and verified that I had been invited to the later dinner and apologized (?) for not being available this evening. During the conversation, she definitely sounded distant. I feel really weird about the invite at this point and not sure how to handle next week's dinner invite. Any suggestions or thoughts on what is going on?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 28, 2007, 08:02 PM
    They most likely felt a little stupid confusing which dinner you were invited to. I know I would have been, go to the dinner and injoy yourself,

But again a friend you only see every few months would not be a very close friend anyway that I would image ( could be wrong)
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2007, 07:51 AM
    DI, please go to the dinner party you were invited to.

It might have been a weird conversation because she was embarrassed, as Fr Chuck points out. Think about it. Most people who are aware of proper ettiquette, know that you don't mention a party to a person if you are not inviting them. It is hurtful to do so. Possibly, she thought you might be hurt that you were invited to one and not the other. Another possibility, not knowing her age, she may also be worried that she is getting forgetful and confused. I am sure her response was not in any way intended to disinvite you. If it was, she wouldn't have called you in the first place and then followed up with a subsequent call, inviting you to both parties. Be a friend and go to that party. Don't worry about it. Laugh it off if she appears embarrassed or distant, and give her a hug. Since she appears to be a lady who likes to throw dinner parties, she is probably just upset she committed a faux pas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Invitation [ 4 Answers ]

If there is no phone number on the invitation to respond to and the invitation says "The favor of a reply is requested" does that mean you have to hand write a response? Blueeyes

Invitation etiquette [ 1 Answers ]

Received invitation to bridal shower in another state, ifnot attending do I still need torsvp?

Invitation Wording [ 1 Answers ]

We are having an evening reception, starting at 7:30. Very small afternoon wedding, very large reception. We are not serving dinner, instead will provide a lot of our favorite appetizers and refreshments (an outlandish list of eclectic items)... A couple of friends have suggested that the...

Invitation [ 1 Answers ]

Could you tell me what the proper punctuation should be in the following sentence: "come join us on Wednesday 8th of November 2006 at 5pm.

Sunday dinner [ 20 Answers ]

I'm just prerping our Sunday lunch and I started to wonder what everyone else does. Who in your household is in charge of the main Sunday meal and what do you have ? In my house I tend to be in charge of the whole shooting match. Sundays for us normally means some sort of roast, today its...

View more questions Search