Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Mar 31, 2005, 12:56 PM
    Crime Pays?
    I read this article today on CNet News,and could'nt believe my eyes.Whilst not wishing to sound pro-Microsoft,or anti-Microsoft,I now find myself lost for words.A 'huge' fine,has now been reduced to 225 community service.Without sounding cynical,is this tactical?

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+drops+...09.html?tag=nl

So for writing a variant of the MS Blast worm,this is the 'reward'?

Nez :mad:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 31, 2005, 07:07 PM
    Nez,

I think its more a matter that MS knows the kid won't be able to pay. What 19 year old has half a mil?
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Mar 31, 2005, 07:49 PM
    I think this is a good thing.

Parsons did not write MSBlast. He grabbed the worm while it was spreading and made some very small modifications to it. The 50,000 machines his variant hit could have been compromised just as easily by the unmodified version.

Parsons was caught because he was stupid. The compromised machines contacted a server he had registered in his own name. Microsoft had long been searching for the original MSBlast creator, to no avail. They wanted to make an example out of someone, to show something was being done; basically, they wanted some good PR on the security front.

However, judging by the recent stupidities of the RIAA and MPAA, which have made both groups almost universally hated (remember your Machiavelli), throwing Parsons in jail for a year and a half would create really bad PR, even though in this case such action can be justified.

If they did catch the person who originally released MSBlast onto the net, then, yes, prison would be a viable option.

Parsons did do something wrong, and should be punished accordingly. However, the sentence he got did not fit his crime. Perhaps the new sentence is far too light, but throwing this guy in prison is not going to make him a better person--it will destroy him forever.

~psi42
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Apr 1, 2005, 03:02 AM
    Crime Pays?
    Thanks guys.I know only about 0.0001% of 19 year olds have money :D ,and yes he is very stupid.Of course "throwing the book" at idiots usually gets you nowhere,and making a full example of him could have back fired on Sir Redmond,so I suppose the sensible option was taken.I just saw red when I first read an article like this,then I calmed down after some lunch,but by then my posting had already gone ahead,ha ha.

Don't wish to come across as Atilla the Hun! :)

All the best,
    Nez.

If I see anymore "stupid antics" to read,I will keep my thoughts to myself,and not put my foot in it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who pays [ 11 Answers ]

My daughter and soon to be son in law are planning their wedding in Oct... so far they only want the parents to help as little as possible... Fine... but I was recently asked... being that they are paying for a great deal of their own wedding... what is the ettiquette on out of town guest and who...

Who pays the bill [ 13 Answers ]

OK new subject. Lets say you are meeting your girlfriend at the bar to visit friends. She shows up about an hour earlier than you do. She has a few drinks before you get there. You show up, order a drink and your girlfriend tells the bar tender to put it on the tab she started because we are...

Is it a crime? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm really curious, recently, my parents threw me out. (actually about 5 times in the last year). Right now I'm only 17. 4 of the times they threw me out, they didn't provide a place for me to live. Their lawyer told them they didn't have to let me stay there once I was 16. Is this true?

Healthcare in custody,who pays [ 2 Answers ]

While being in custody after being arrested,I needed medical care,so I was transported to the hospital.the hospital gave me two tylenol and sent me back into custody .the hospital bill was $500.who pays? Is my question,the police dept.or me.

View more questions Search