Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ohio_Remodeler Posts: 85, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2007, 12:42 PM
    Replacing Bathroom Vent - What Size PVC?
    This is a vent/drain setup I'm replacing. Currently, the drain is 1.5" PVC. The vent is 2" cast iron. Do I replace the whole thing with 2" PVC? Or do I replace the drain with 1.5" PVC and the vent with 2" PVC?

For the vent I have pointed to with the "Connector Type?" arrow - I am planning on cutting this in half. It attaches to the 4" cast iron at the botton right of the pic. What type of connector do I use to go from 2" cast iron to 2" PVC?

The vent here is venting a sink and a toilet in a bathroom on the other side of this wall.

I need to follow International Plumbing Code 2003.
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 28, 2007, 01:13 PM
    You will run both the vent and the drain in 2" PVC. You will pick up the lav with a 2 X 2 X 1 1/2" sanitary tee and vent off the top of it. If I were going to convert to Pvc I would take a 2" sanitary tee, (see image) and prime and glue two short pieces of PVC pipe in the ends. I would then use two No-Hub Couplings, (see image) to connect the tee to the cast iron. Since I work off the .Standard Plumbing Code lets hear from experts working off IPC. Regards, Tom
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2007, 05:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    You will run both the vent and the drain in 2" PVC. You will pick up the lav with a 2 X 2 X 1 1/2" sanitary tee and vent off the top of it. If I were going to convert to Pvc I would take a 2" sanitary tee, (see image) and prime and glue two short pieces of PVC pipe in the ends. I would then use two No-Hub Couplings, (see image) to connect the tee to the cast iron. Since I work off the .Standard Plumbing Code lets hear from experts working off IPC. Regards, Tom

You were dead on until you got to the part about the "No-Hub" bands, Tom.

No-Hub Bands are no longer accepted as transition couplings.

He needs to use either Mission or Fernco shielded couplings for the transition.

The accepted transitions from Plastic to Cast Iron/Steel are:

1-1/2" -- CP-150

2" -- CP-200

3" -- CP-33

4" -- CP-44

And if he has a Ferguson Plumbing Supply close by, He can use their 'Pro-Flex' branded shielded coupling.

Apr 28, 2007, 11:36 PM
    Thanks for all the help, you guys are tremendous!

I have cut and dry fit the replacement for this drain and vent. Just want to confirm that I've got this correct.

Everything is 2" PVC. The 2 tees in the upper right are DWV Sanitary Tee's (All Hub).

The 2"x2"x1-1/2" Sanitary Tee is a WYE, Reducing (All Hub).

All the elbows are 90 degree vent ell (Hub x Hub).

Questions:

1. Can the 90 degree vent ell (Hub x Hub) elbows I've used here be used for waste drains?

2. Does the vent line need to slope up?

3. Are the 2 tees in the upper right the correct ones to use there?

4. I noticed there are straight and upward angled 2"x2"x2" sanitary tees. Which one do I use in this case?

5. In the close-up picture, is this an approved setup to drain into the 4" cast iron?

6. Assuming this is an okay setup, how do I seal the gap between the 2" sanitary tees. Which one do I use in this case?

5. In the close-up picture, is this an approved setup to drain into the 4" cast iron?
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Apr 29, 2007, 07:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iamgrowler
    You were dead on until you got to the part about the "No-Hub" bands, Tom.

No-Hub Bands are no longer accepted as transition couplings.

He needs to use either Mission or Fernco shielded couplings for the transition.

The accepted transitions from Plastic to Cast Iron/Steel are:

1-1/2" -- CP-150

2" -- CP-200

3" -- CP-33

4" -- CP-44

And if he has a Ferguson Plumbing Supply close by, He can use their 'Pro-Flex' branded shielded coupling.

Thanks Growler,

From now on I'll recommend Fernco Shielded Couplings,( see image) instead of No-Hub Couplings. Thanks again. Tom
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2007, 08:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio_Remodeler
    Thanks for all the help, you guys are tremendous!

I have cut and dry fit the replacement for this drain and vent. Just want to confirm that I've got this correct.
    Everything is 2" PVC. The 2 tees in the upper right are DWV Sanitary Tee's (All Hub).
    And the second one down is upside down.

The 2"x2"x1-1/2" Sanitary Tee is a WYE, Reducing (All Hub).
    No, it is a Sanitary Tee -- A WYE is an altogether different fitting.

All the elbows are 90 degree vent ell (Hub x Hub).

Questions:
    1. Can the 90 degree vent ell (Hub x Hub) elbows I've used here be used for waste drains?
    No. You must use drainage fittings.

Long turn 90's to go from horizontal to horizontal.

Long turn 90's to go from vertical to horizontal.

And medium turn 90's to go from horizontal to vertical.

2. Does the vent line need to slope up?
    It should grade a 1/4" per foot to the drain.

3. Are the 2 tees in the upper right the correct ones to use there?
    They are, but the second one down is upside down.

4. I noticed there are straight and upward angled 2"x2"x1-1/2" sanitary tees. Which one do I use in this case?
    The "straight" ones are Sanitary Tee's, the "upward angled" ones are Wye's.
    The tee's are fine in this application.

No, the vent 90's aren't drainage fittings.

6. Assuming this is an okay setup, how do I seal the gap between the 2" PVC and the 4" cast iron?
    You need a 'Tye-Seal' manufactured by Tyler Pipe.

Apr 29, 2007, 03:12 PM
    Is it possible to vent the sink and toilet with 2 air admittance valves instead of venting through the main stack? This would greatly simplify this job if it's possible.

If I can do this, please let me know which air admittance valve to get.
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2007, 05:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio_Remodeler
    Is it possible to vent the sink and toilet with 2 air admittance valves instead of venting through the main stack? This would greatly simplify this job if it's possible.

If I can do this, please let me know which air admittance valve to get.
    AAV's would be fine under the UPC, so long as they are accessible -- But you'll need to ask Speedball or Doug if they are all right for use under your code.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 30, 2007, 11:24 AM
    You'll have to check your local codes about the AAVs. Some inspectors allow them and some don't. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing lead with PVC [ 4 Answers ]

I am remodeling a commercial building that's about 80 years old. The plumbing inspector says that the lead pipes connecting the toilet, bathroom sink, and kitchen sink to an iron tee must be replaced with PVC. This is in an apartment. It does not leak and functions correctly. Since it is in...

Connecting dryer vent to bathroom vent? [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone out there know if I can connect my dryer vent to my bathroom vent using a t-connection? Thanks Me

Pvc pipe size per code [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1982 double wide cavco that sits above ground. I had a slow drainage problem in the tub and shower. I called the plumber out, actually three of them worked on the issue, and was not resolved. The supervisor explained that after trying for four hours, they were going to call it quits. He...

3" PVC toilet drain size performance? [ 2 Answers ]

How appropriate and adequate is 3" PVC drain for a toilet? It would solve the current issue I have with a ridge from trying to mate 4" PVC to cast iron. I could slip the 3" pvc right into the main stack and avoid the butting of PVC and cast iron. I do see that most PVC toilet goods come in both...

Replacing lead pipe with pvc [ 9 Answers ]

The lead pipe and drain from my father-in-laws' bathroom is leaking and needs to be replaced. I'm tempted to just remove all of the lead (only a few feet) and cast iron all the way to the entry into the main discharge. Currently the 2 pieces of cast iron have a leaded seal. How do I connect...

View more questions Search