Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ohio_Remodeler Posts: 85, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2007, 12:19 PM
    Main Stack No Hub Connectors
    2 issues here...

1. The plumbing inspector told me that the 2 no hub connectors show here are not code. This is the main vent stack, 4" cast iron to 4" Schedule 40 PVC. What is an approved connector that complies with International Plumbing Code 2003?

2. The 2" cast iron vent pipe you can barely see on the left has been cut off. It vents a toilet and a sink. It used to connect to the main stack. When someone added a bathtub drain, they cut this vent and never reconnected it. How can I connect the 2" vent pipe into the main stack? Does this connection have to be above where the bathtub drain connects?
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 28, 2007, 01:21 PM
    Ask the inspector what connecters would be acceptable to him and let me know. Regards, Tom
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2007, 04:59 PM
    As I mentioned in the "Reducing PVC from 4" to 3" thread yesterday, the accepted transition from 4" Plastic to 4" Cast iron is a CP-44.

The stainless 'Crinkle' bands on a No-Hub band are made from a thinner walled material, while the stainless bands on Mission or Fernco CP-** are considerably thicker.

Apr 28, 2007, 10:10 PM
    Thanks for the specifying which transition to use. I will replace the no-hub connectors w/ the CP-44's. I'm still trying to figure out how to connect the vent from the toilet and sink into the main stack. Here's a picture from a different angle. Can you tell me how and where to tap into the main stack?
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2007, 08:35 AM
    *SIGH*

I'm thinking you may have bitten off a bit more than you can chew, O_R.

I'm not sure what your finances are, but it would really be in your best interest to hire a Plumber to walk you through this project on a consulting basis.

Keep this in mind -- Every improper fitting you've installed that will need to be cut out and replaced is costing you a great deal of money, money that might be better spent learning how to do it correctly the first time from a Professional.

Apr 29, 2007, 10:57 AM
    My plan is to do the items that I can and hire out the rest. It sounds like this job may fall in the "rest" category. Let me ask you this, though.

The 1-1/2" you see that's connecting to the main stack drains a bathtub in an apartment in the floor above. Could I wet vent the toilet and sink on the first floor by connecting to the bathtub drain?
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2007, 02:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio_Remodeler
    My plan is to do the items that I can and hire out the rest. It sounds like this job may fall in the "rest" category. Let me ask you this, though.

The 1-1/2" you see that's connecting to the main stack drains a bathtub in an apartment in the floor above. Could I wet vent the toilet and sink on the first floor by connecting to the bathtub drain?
    I'm the wrong person to be asking about wet venting -- We don't wet vent anything in my neck of the woods.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 1, 2007, 03:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio_Remodeler

If you're asking if you can connect the toilet and lavatory to the 1 1/2" bathtub drain the answer's NO. What vents the bathtub? Regards, tom

May 1, 2007, 08:48 PM
    I'm going to autovent the toilet and the sink. That way I can avoid tapping into the main vent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Half Bath Too Far From Main Stack [ 15 Answers ]

My father-in-law and I are putting in a half bath on the main floor. The problem is, the location is too far from the main stack, about 15 feet or more. The idea we came up with (see image) is to tie into the sewer line (1) close to where it comes in from the outside. We would have to break into...

Toilet looonng way from main waste stack. [ 5 Answers ]

I am putting in a master bath off the master bedroom which is on the 2nd floor. The problem is the closest 4" main waste stack is about 16' away from where the toilet is. I will try to explain this from the perspective of if you were actually sitting on the toilet taking care of business. The 90...

Can I move my main stack? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I recently bought and older house (My first!) That was built in like 1954, now the bathroom is very small so I'm sort of relocating it. My question is can I move my main stack with 22.5 and 45 degree elbows or am I stuck with it coming up out of the soon to be dinning room floor? NOt sure of...

Possible Blockage Main Stack Vent [ 1 Answers ]

The two toilets and the tub in the upstairs bathrooms are plugged and will not drain or flush. There is a gurgling sound when we flush or try to plunge the toilets. I have been told by a plumber that he thinks the main stack vent is blocked. How can I unstopped or clear the main stack vent? Are...

How do I tie into main vent stack? [ 3 Answers ]

Are there any tricks to put a 3" Tee into the main vent stack to add a lavatory? I don't think I can lift the top part of the stack up or push the bottom part of the stack down once I cut it in half but I think I'll need to seperate it by something like 2" and then push it back together to have...

View more questions Search