Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LuvMyMaltipoo Posts: 281, Reputation: 39

Apr 28, 2007, 11:40 AM
    Lost title to Travel Trailer!
    I recently purchased a travel trailer with a lost title. How do I go about getting the title for it? Where do I go? How much will it cost?

Also.. how much does it cost to register the travel trailer?
    xsmoker27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyMaltipoo
    I recently purchased a travel trailer with a lost title. How do I go about getting the title for it? Where do I go? How much will it cost?

I bought a travel trailer in Florida that came with a certifcate of destruction because it was a f.e.m.a. trailer. How do I get a Michigan title for it?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2007, 08:25 PM
    Luv the people that sold it to you have to get the title. Where I live they must go to Clerk of Courts it only takes a few minutes to get one and about 15 dollars. I'm not sure about the trailer, although I know it has to be licensed as well.
    debbiewv Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2007, 06:58 PM
    How do I get a new lost or defaced tilte for a travel trailer?
    kaczy13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2008, 01:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyMaltipoo

I also am looking to purchase a trailer with no title but before i buy it i
    Want to make sure i can get a title. I live in massachusetts. Where do i go
    To get a title?
    shebadawn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2009, 11:06 AM
    I recently acquired a travel trailer from a friend that hasn't been registered since 1999 and is from another state. Someone gave it to his father-in-law who got it from who knows who. Question how do I go about researching the title if I have only the tag number
    dd840jda Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2011, 04:39 PM
    I need a title for a travel trailer,got the T/T in 2003 never got a title,so how do I get one.
    oscarboy123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2012, 06:03 AM
    Never buy trailer without title, I did and spent a month with phone calls until I found the right person who knew what they were talking about, had to have state police come out to camper and varify the VIN, this camper was bought and never titled to avoid paying taxes don't do it !
    MrNiceGuy22 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2012, 07:26 PM
    Hey Oscar (or if anyone else has more info about this), what state are you in and who was it that you called. Also, how much did all this cost you. I am in Florida and can get a 28 foot trailer for $200 without a title. I am on a TIGHT budget and buying a cheap 1/2 acre in tenn. It's the perfect price for me as a project so I can live in it while I build a solar cabin. So I'm sure you can see how this is worth it to me and I just need the info on how to get it all legal to avoid problems. Thanks for any response.
    dlhowland Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2012, 09:29 AM
    It can take 5 trips to the MI Secretary of State's office to get a title.

I bought a travel trailer from a lady who I knew who was moving. She said she paid cash for the trailer and never filed for a title. So off to MI Secretary of State office I went.

Trip #1 - I explained situation and they told me all I needed was a form to be completed by the State Police after they inspected the trailer. So I had the State Police inspect the trailer, they also did a stolen vehicle check and found no report of it being stolen-all this was free. The Police also told me the lady I bought it from had registered it and was issued a title. Now I can't reach the lady because she moved, and she's not returning my calls.

So, trip #2 to MI SOS office they then tell me the lady had a lien and I need a letter of pay off before I can get the title. They give me a 4 page form to mail-in with a fee of $7 to get the lien holder's name. I mail it, postage .45 cents and I wait. In just under 2 weeks I get the information and contact the lien holder, who was able to fax me a pay off letter in less then 5 minute at no charge.

So back to MI SOS for 3rd time. Now I get ANGRY! I'm told that I NOW need an appraisal of the trailer to assess the value, even though I had a signed receipt that I paid her $1800! Apparently sales tax is collected on the higher of either the amount paid or the assessed value when there's no title. I was told first that I had to take the trailer to a licensed dealer to get an assessment and return it on their letter head, then someone else stepped in and said I could go to nadaguides.com and print it out there. So I'm given yet another form to complete. I go home look it up on NADA guides and get a value of $800 (I'll always check there first before buying again!) I print out the NADA page, fill out the form and make trip #4 back to the MI SOS.

Now happy and confident I can get a title, I'm told the MI SOS must run a stolen vehicle check, so I'll have to come back the next day. I happily pointed out that the MI State Police did a stolen vehicle check (it took him less than 10 minutes) and it was not reported stolen. GEE, THEY HAVE TO DO THEIR OWN CHECK! How stupid! What a waste of resources and my time--which they care nothing about! So, I have to wait.

I go back the next day - TRIP #5! Finally I get a title for $15. It took me 5 trips but only cost about $22.45, not including gas for all those trips. That very night I got a call back from the lady I bought the trailer from. I told her all this, she of course apologized for my trouble, but insisted she did not have a lien or a title!

I've learned a lesson, before I even consider buying any other vehicle I must see the actual title and I'll check NADA guides for it's value. Whew!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ok, another lost movie title, late 70's early 80's [ 1 Answers ]

When I was a kid I saw it several times, but I can't remember the title. So I remember this much. There's 2 kids, who sneak on a boat. They find out about this message in a bottle from some relative. So they go on this crazy advernture, sliding down snowy mountains, meeting people, and at the...

80's sci/fantasy - Title lost and forgotten [ 2 Answers ]

This has been an ongoing search for 10 years now. When I ask other people about it they look at me like I'm from outerspace or something. I can only remember a short scene from movie. There is a young girl, maybe 10yr-12yr and she is in the bathroom looking up at this white old spice glass bottle...

Movie title? Roll top desk,causing time travel [ 1 Answers ]

Movie kind of like lake house but it is a roll top desk in which a man and woman communicate with letters through the desk. Not sure when movie was made.

Children's cartoon lost movie title [ 1 Answers ]

I can not remember the title of a series of videos I used to watch when I was little. They were about a girl (princess I think!:) ) who had this mane of blonde hair. It may have had pink streaks in it. And things pets/helpers that looked like squrrils/mice lived in her hair. They could fly and had...

Travel Trailer Toilet Burping [ 1 Answers ]

I have a regular house toilet in my travel trailer. It was installed 4 years ago and I have never had a problem until recently. My daughter and her husband returned to the states after getting out of the army and have been staying with me while they look for a house. The toilet has recently started...

View more questions Search