Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    someconcerns Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2007, 11:33 AM
    93 Camry won't start
    This car runs like a top (ordinarily), has 113k miles on it and a
    Fairly new battery. It gets regular maintenance and was last used
    Yesterday.

We tried to start it this afternoon, but only got a whirring sound.
    Not the usual cranking, or weak cranking or the clicking if there is an
    Overt problem - just "whirring."

All the panel lights go on.

Where do I look? I suspect the alternator but have done no substantial
    Car work for 20 years, so I have no useful electronic test devices, only wrenches, etc.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2007, 11:44 AM
    Your description sounds like the over riding clutch in the starter motor is bad. You will likely have to replace the starter motor.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2007, 07:42 AM
    No, I'm afraid that's the sound of lost compression. Your timing belt has stripped some teeth off it and now gone out of time with the cam.

Apr 29, 2007, 08:24 AM
    Thanks guys.

Apr 29, 2007, 08:26 AM
    The system won't let me leave either of you feedback "until I spread more feedback around."

May 7, 2007, 07:26 AM
    Well guys, it ended up that it was the battery. Eventually, I got no response at all to turning on the ignition, not even the lights on the displays. Jumping the battery from the one in my running Avalon did absolutely nothing. I trickle charged my spare type 35 battery and as a last resort before calling for a tow, jumped the Camry from the spare battery. It started, much to my surprise, since I thought I had made good contact when I was jumping from the Avalon. Ran the car over to my mechanic, who was too backed up to look at it for a few days. He eventually told me it was just my battery, after testing the starter, as it was down to delivering just 10 volts and losing charge rapidly. So, thanks for the suggestions. I'm hoping it is not an intermittent starter and it appears to definitely not be the timing belt. We installed the spare battery and I was good to go.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 03:23 PM
    Bravo! Sounds like it was cheaper than my idea.

May 8, 2007, 06:22 PM
    So far - about 6 days - it's been running like a champ. Bob (my mechanic) does only toyotas and takes no new customers. Charged me all of $25 for all the time he spent and to install the battery.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Occasional won't start 1995 Camry [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter (college) has a 1995 Camry that occasionally won't start after she stops to get gas. Long stops or starting after long sitting is not a problem. I have asked her to notice if there are any clicking noises from under the hood. She says no. I have asked her to shift the (Automatic trans)...

My 1993 toyota camry won't start? [ 3 Answers ]

My camry will not engage the starter? I coulnt find a starter relay, or maybe I just don't know what relay controls it. The car will start if I turn the key on an touch the small lead on the starter with a 12+ jumper. The battery cranks the car over just fine which makes me think it's a relay, but...

1990 Toyota Camry (wont start) [ 1 Answers ]

My 1990 Camery won't start! Ive had the battery checked and just put in a new starter because it tested bad. When I turn the key all the lights come on on the dash. It's a 5 speed and runs great if I get a push and start it that way. I'm not sure how to check the ingnition, but was told that it...

Camry won't start [ 1 Answers ]

Bud Martin posted a question that is similar to what I'm experiencing. I have has a 1995 Camry that won't start. When I turn the key, I notice there are no clicking noises from under the hood. The clock light dims. So does the radio light. The headlights remain steady when I turn them on and...

94 Camry won't start [ 3 Answers ]

Help! My Camry was running fine then I turned it off and now it won't start. Turns over, has brand new battery, there is plenty of juice it just won't start. Acts like there is no gas but there is.

View more questions Search