Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dlshutch Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Apr 28, 2007, 09:42 AM
    How should I cover/seal black mastic?
    My basement floor had tiles that turned out to have some asbestos content. I didn't realize what I was dealing with until I had almost completely removed the tiles. I'm left with 'black mastic' on the concrete that may or may not contain asbestos.
    I'm planning on re-finishing the basement and adding carpet soon, but not until I have some waterproofing done. In the meantime, I'd like to cover/seal the mastic to prevent any potential asbestos from becoming airborne.
    I had two ideas:
    1. Put down some cheap self-stick tiles
    2. Paint with a floor paint.

Anyone know what will happen if I try to paint over the mastic? Painting would obviously be cheaper, and since this is just a temporary measure, I'd like to keep it cheap and simple!

Thanks for any advice!
    jo0ober Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2010, 09:05 AM
    Asbestos is a form of population control they knew it was dangerous long ago and continued to build up the country with plenty of schools, homes,institutions,government buildings,town halls,military installations,industrial complexes etc and figured f**k it at least the asbestos is fire proof(good for the fall out shelters!):D... bullchit:)
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2010, 06:52 PM

The most common used mastic for basements did not contain asbestos.

How did u find out that tile had asbestos in it?
    Did u have it tested?

Chuck
    whaleboy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2011, 07:18 AM
    If the tile was 9"x9" and was very brittle when you removed it. Then this tile "more than likely" also contained asbestos as well. Which when you broke it into pieces created what is known as a Friable Condition. Which released fibers into the air. Not good. The mastic in the condition it is in now as long as you do not scrap or try and remove this by sanding, abrasion methods, etc. you should be OK. However the best method of removal of this black mastic which is also non-friable like the tile in the state that it is in, can be abated with a low VOC mastic removal solution - but you must wear respirator approved for both vapors and asbestos (HEPA) and it is a good idea to wear rubber disposable boots with several layers of tyvex suits... And lots of rags. Then you need to pour solution on black mastic - let it sit for several hours - come back and start wiping up on hands and knees. Bag up (double bag or better yet drum up rags) Call abatement company first to see how much they would charge to take drum / bags. Check your EPA region to see if you as the Home Owner can just throw this in the regular trash, If not call abatement company.. Cost is typically only $3/SF to remove the correct method by an abatement company. And if you use an abatement company they will give you a report and "encapsulate" at the end of the project which will help capture and lock down any fibers still in the air from breaking up that tile... Hope this helps?
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2011, 06:13 PM
    Hi whaleboy

This post is over 4 years old. Think job is done by now. I did the same thing when first went on. Check date from poster before answering.

Glad to have u aboard.

Chuck
    tagracks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2012, 12:06 PM
    Doesn't matter the age of the original post the information provided by Whaleboy is good anytime and helps those in the same boat today.(like me)
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2012, 03:58 PM
    Welcome to AMHD tagracks

It is true that info in old posts are helpful. Did not mean that, but some posts can have quite a few answers and a lot of people will not read all the answers in a post. A lot can be missed.

Chuck
    Loretta2013 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2013, 02:09 PM
    How about black mastics on concrete slabs (home built in 1973)?
    Loretta
    kokocadilac Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2017, 03:10 PM
    I am contractor and this is what I’ve done for the past 15 years;
    Just apply PerfectPrimer on top of the mastic, or tiles.
    It safe to use and seals the asbestos mastic.Then apply any paint, epoxy, or new tile mastic to the PerfectPrimer and it
    Bonds just great. I’ve never had a problem with it and this is the only product made for this purpose.

RichCo Construction

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing cement Mastic [ 6 Answers ]

I have removed tile from a cement floor. On the surface of the floor is the cement mastic that held the tile. How do I remove it? I really don't want to spend the next three weeks chiseling it off. Is there another way that is not so time consuming? The mastic is really bonded directly to the...

Porcelain tile laid over mastic [ 4 Answers ]

I have removed old 9x9 tile from my basement floor can I lay porcelain tile over the mastic or do I need to use a disolving solvent? Also will the moisture because it's a basement effect the tile sticking? Thanks... blmgreek

90's Movie Cover black and white hands clasped, one with red nail polish [ 6 Answers ]

I'm 19 years old now and I huge movie fanatic. I remember walking through the video store as a child and seeing this movie box with the picture of a black and white hand clasped on the cover. I think one hand had red nail polish, I was just trying to figure out what movie that was if anyone...

Mastic vs. Foil Tape for Galvanized Ductwork [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone have a recommendation for sealing galvanized ductwork? I've read that mastic is the best, but looks like it might be a bit of a mess. Tape seems easier, but I've read that most don't perform very well. Any thoughts? What about a specific brand of tape that is approved by most building...

Removing Hardset Tile Mastic from Concrete Floor [ 1 Answers ]

I need to remove a hardset ( not glue type) mastic from a large area of concrete floor. The mastic is almost as hard as the concrete and must be ground down in order to lay carpet. I am currently using a floor belt sander with hardest grade paper. It's moving at just about a snails pace. Is...

View more questions Search