Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vac1803 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2004, 02:29 PM
    Ad serve is affecting my Windows Media Player
    I recently watched a music video on my Windows Media Player, and ever since then I have been getting "Ad Serve" pop-ups. I keep getting rid of Ad-serve everyday with Ad-aware, but then the next time I turn my computer on, Ad-serve is back. And every time I delete it, my Windows Media Player will not work, and the Icon for the Media player changes on my computer. What should I do?
    JeepChic14 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2004, 06:16 PM
    Re: Ad serve is affecting my Windows Media Player
    ??
    I am having the same problem. These pop-ups keep popping up and I can see that they're coming from my hard drive. However, every time that I delete the hidden files in the Temp folder they just come back after I restart. Does anyone know how to get rid of Ad Serve?? Is it safe to delete the enitre Temp file?? I've downloaded a couple <A TITLE="Click for more information about spyware" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://messagebroadcaster.net/banner...are</A>/Adware programs (1 that even cost $40 which worked better than the rest) but these things still come back. If anyone out there in cyberworld has any input... I'd love to hear!!
    Thanks,
    Heather
    [email protected]
    Hishnika Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2004, 03:02 PM
    Hmm
    Ok, popups are caused by cookies stored on your hard drive. They are needed but not essential. There are several solution possibilities: First, download a firewall from www.download.com Look for one with a free license and the highest rating/voters. Then clean out your Internet Temporary files, go to Tools --> Internet Options on your browser and delete/clean/clear anything you can in the General Tab. In the next tab check your security level. Set it to medium in case it has been modified. The next tab should read Privacy. Click on Advanced button and check "override automatic cookie handling" Set them to promt for both or at least the Third Party cookies. This will prevent any new ones from getting on. You can also Edit a particular website's cookie options. Then run ad-aware and any antivirus you have. After that, install the firewall. This should prevent the spoiled cookies from triggering outside sites.

Now try restarting and see if anything shows up. Don't reboot before doing all the clean-ups and the firewall.
    You will be asked to allow the cookies for each site every time you visit a web-site, but you can test it this way to see if you get popups still. After a little while try to accept all first-party cookies and mayyyybe the third party ones as well if it gets annoying to click the cookie permission every time. This way you know what websites are trying to put cookies on your PC and can deny suspicious ones...

Lastly, I wouldn't suggest watching that video again ;)
    Good luck!
    MagikPoo Posts: 59, Reputation: 2

May 5, 2004, 11:39 PM
    That sound quite familire to a problem that a friend of mine was having.

What kind of OS - operating system do you have?

If its win XP or 2000 windows has a popup that comes called message center that some bad guys use to interrupt your internet pleasuer.
    Thus throwing you into a tizzy... did I just say tizzzy ?

Anyway follow the instructions from Hishnika
    A good free fire wall is Zone alarm try that free for 90 days
    And try adaware or spybot search and distroy.

And there is a way of turning off windows messageing center let me seeeeeee...

Well I can't seen to find how to kill that application quite yet and for me its 2:39am EST so until tomorrow

MagikPoo... OUT!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows media player music [ 3 Answers ]

I'm wondering if I should download windows media player 10 to replace 9 but I've done this before and a lot of the files began to have ! Next to them which means they stopped working. Is media player 10 worth it and how do I sort this problem out. I have lots of other players but prefer this and...

Windows Media Player [ 1 Answers ]

I am very confused and every link WMP has doesn't solve my problem. I want to arrange my music library in order of either artist A-Z, or song title A-Z. How can I do this, and if you can, give me step by step info? I've tried what I could and so far nothing. I really appreciate your help.

Windows Media Player [ 6 Answers ]

Currently have Media Player 6.4 What is the safest one to upgrade to for a PC with Win98 second edition on it? Also what is best site (without adware, spyware, etc included with your download) to obtain the update from?

Windows media player 9 [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Im using windows media player 9 on windows 98. Is there any way to clear the list of movies it has played that shows up when you press the file tab? Thank you :o

View more questions Search