Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paolap Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2007, 10:50 PM
    Landlord agrees to breaking Lease, now refusing to pay security deposit back
    My Landlord told she'd never hold me to the lease if I ever wanted to move out. All I needed was to give a 30-day notice. Which is what I did and by the end of February I moved out. I have emails where my landlord agrees with breaking lease and further states that I'd be getting my security deposit back 30 days after moving out. Now, almost 2 months later, I am still waiting to get the security deposit back. She says I broke the lease and I should pay her the remaining 3 months before she returns my money. Can she do this despite our verbal agreement and written electronic correspondance? Would proof our our agreement to break the lease overule lease terms?

Can I file a small claims court to get my security deposit back?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 28, 2007, 05:43 AM
    If you have e-mails where she states that you can move, then, by all means, take her to court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord breaking of Lease [ 3 Answers ]

We rented our house to our niece, with the understanding that she would not have to pay us a damage deposite, nor would she have to pay first and last month rent, with the understanding that she would take the house "as is". Ever since then it has cost us more to get things fixed than we can...

Landlord kept a big chunk of security deposit. [ 7 Answers ]

Hello I rented an apartment for 1 year. Recently when the owner returned the security deposit he made deductions for the following items: - Cleaning toilets and kitchen. - Getting pest control done even when there were cockroaches before we moved into the house. - Doing steam vaccuming in the...

Landlord/Roommate - Breaking Lease in SC [ 11 Answers ]

I rented a room in a house on 10/15/06 from an internet roommate service. Since I have moved in (less than 10 days ago) I have received no less than 6 notes from my roommate/landlord, as well as calls on my cell phone and emails concerning 'things she wants to mention that she's noticed'. ...

Landlord Refusing to Give us Copy of Lease [ 5 Answers ]

I'm going to live in a house in New Brunswick, NJ with a couple of other people and we all signed the lease. Some of us paid for our security deposit and rent already, but some of the others us didn't. The landlord is refusing to give us a copy of the lease until more of us pay, although we're...

One of Co-Tenants refusing to pay rent and security deposit [ 2 Answers ]

In my house in New Brunswick, NJ, one of my co-tenants is making an extremely unfair demand that would cause 8 of us to suffer unfairly because of that one person. The co-tenant says that if we don't agree to the demand, then she won't pay her security deposit and rent. Do we have to worry...

View more questions Search