Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pack Leader Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Apr 27, 2007, 10:05 PM
    Why do they turn circles before laying down?
    Each night, Nicky will turn in numerous circles while "fixing" his bed.

Does anyone know why dogs do this?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2007, 06:03 AM
    LOL, Pack Leader, most dogs do this, but I find Pit Bulls, or PB mixes do it more so. The "fixing" of the bed is the funniest thing. If there are pillows on a couch, they will kick them off. They will circle, they will push and pull their beds. Everything has to be "just so." Dogs do this for the same reason we people do it, adjusting our covers or punching and pushing our pillows at night. They are just built differently. Lying down and stretching out the way we do is not the most comfortable sleeping position for them. Curling up is the position that will allow them a long stretch of sleep. So, they do this to find the most comfortable position for a good night's sleep. :)
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Apr 28, 2007, 10:45 AM
    Years ago a friend owned the smartest full size Poodle I had ever seen. He could retrieve the correct toy (out of a dozen) from his toy box, when asked to get the chicken or bone etc. He would spend several minutes getting his blanket perfectly arranged on the floor, before laying down. All that you had to do was touch, just a corner of the blanket, to make him appear to say: Damn,you messed it up. He would get up and go through the entire bed making ritual, every time it was touched. He was a joy to behold.
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2007, 10:59 AM
    Poodles are actually one of the most intelligent breed of dogs. Those that own them believe they are the most intelligent! Heehee. Loved the story Dr. D! Thanks for sharing.:)
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Apr 28, 2007, 11:23 AM
    From the depths of my mind I seem to recall reading once that its thought, dogs circle before lying down to push the grass all down in their bedding area for comfort.-- Savage
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Apr 28, 2007, 09:23 PM
    I agree with Savage. I recall hearing this as well.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Apr 28, 2007, 09:42 PM
    Critters are so neat because they are able to make us, the dominant species, expend so much effort trying to figure our why they do what they do.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2007, 12:32 AM
    I have a few dogs, my big ones just plop down anywhere,
    But I have a little Chihuahua that turns a million circles while digging into her pillow.
    It's quite funny to watch her make the perfect bed...
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2007, 12:34 AM
    My puppy just lies on his side with his legs out straight, he's a weird one.
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2007, 10:54 AM
    No he is not Cappy. Every dog is different. When your puppy matures, you will see the old instinct of circling and curling up start to kick in. It may not happen all the time, but it will happen. A lot of dogs lie with their legs sticking straight out. Mine did that as a pup and will still do that at times during the day. At night is when she curls up. She doesn't always circle. Just when she is trying to find that comfortable position for herself. Is the heat on in your house or is he warm? A lot of dogs will lie the way you are describing as a way to keep cool. When it is chilly, they will curl up. Give him some time to mature.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2007, 11:29 PM
    I'm pretty sure he is a strange one :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Laying out DWV in basement [ 11 Answers ]

I'm doing a bathroom remodel in my basement. I have worked with plumbing before and fee confident when it comes to performing the actual work. A family member works with concrete removal/pouring so getting through the slab is covered as well. However, reading the code regarding DWV systems is...

Laying pergo flooring [ 3 Answers ]

I am in the process of starting to lay a pergo hardwoood floor. Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks, BLee

Laying pavers [ 1 Answers ]

How do I figure how much sand I need to cover 72 square feet of space with 2 inches of sand?

Laying bathroom floor [ 1 Answers ]

Is it easy enough to lay the peel and stick 1'x1' tiles in a small bathroom? I realize the toilet must be removed, quarter round also. I also realize cutting is somewhat troublesome. Any thoughts? The room is a basic 7'x4' space. Thank you. KiKi

View more questions Search