Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shark Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2005, 10:48 AM
    Blocked central heating hot water pipe
    Hi,

Hope someone can help me out.

A brief senario: the hot water comes out of the boiler and then goes through a pump. After this it get split up 2 ways (1) to the radiators which are hot, working and not the problem. (2) The problem path is through a hot water to water heat exchanger tank then to a radiator, returning back to the boiler.

This radiator after 2/3 days of cleaning becomes cold again and hence no hot water either. The problem is a blockage, so I remove the blockage and 2 to 3 day later again it becomes blocked (black rusty material flakes and sludge).

I've tried a bottle of sludge remover but the problem still occurs.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2005, 11:34 AM
    Sounds like the heat exchanger is in bad shape. I would disconnect it from the radiator, run some acid based automotive radiator flush through it, and then check for leaks. If it is OK, reconnect everything. Unfortunately, if it then leaks, you are going to have to flush the whole boiler out.
    shark Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2005, 11:55 AM
    Thanks Labman,

You mean the heat exchanger in the hot water tank, rather than the boiler - as my initial explination is ambiguous (and this might not be much better either!)?

I hate the word 'disconnect' I live in a flat on the second floor and the pipes are concreted in the floor. Also the hot water is a heat exchanger (rather than a physical gas boiler) and is at the back of a deep but small cupboard? :(

I did a have boiler (not hot water to water heat exchanger tank) problems before Xmas which I gingerly used hydrochloric acid to clean out the calcium. Think I did a fair job as to the touch the top inside of the boiler piper were smooth-ish and the bottom was rough due to some calcium being left. I did wash it through after too.

My layout is the s-plan as per http://www.gasman.fsbusiness.co.uk/f...ed_systems.htm , just for clarification sake.

Again thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central Air & Heating [ 7 Answers ]

Good Day, I recently changed my thermostat from a White Rogers to a Hunter programmable model 44260. I connected the system myself and now realize that the heat is not coming out of the vents. The fan is blowing but cool air. I have six wires coming out of the wall plus a jumper on the thermostat....

Central Heating [ 8 Answers ]

Im not sure my central heating is working fine. I bought a new home and I have lived there about 2 yrs but I rarely used my central heating (long enough) over this time. Recently I used my central heating long enough (over 3 hrs) and noted that while the heating is good initially, the air looses...

Water central heating system loses pressure [ 5 Answers ]

The central heating system in my 50 year old home seems to be losing water pressure. We thought it might be due to some pipes that were running in a concrete slab and had leaked. We bypassed that, but now the pressure is still not holding. We see no leaks anywhere. Any ideas?

Add heating system to central air [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know if it is possible to add some kind of heating system to my existing central air. We did some remodeling last year and added central air. We have hot water / baseboard heating but it doesn't seem to be enough. I was wondering how big of a deal it would be to add some kind of...

View more questions Search