Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miri Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2007, 05:01 PM
    Father's rights after years
    I had been involved with a guy for a year or so when I became pregnant I was only 18 then. His answer when I told him that I was pregnant was that he didn't wanted the baby he sugested and abortion, which I said no. I was left alone to tell my parents that I was single. I carried on my pregnancy when I was almost 9 months pregnant he send his friend to look for me and offer 900 dollars I didn't wanted them. After the baby was born he called me once only. My baby is now 4 and half, I'm married and have another child with my husband. My husband wants to give my daughter his last name. We just found out that he has been in the hospital and was near death and we heard rumors that as soon as he get out he wants to look for his daughter. Does he still has any rights? I don't want him near and neither does my husband. Please I need some advice?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 27, 2007, 05:29 PM
    Niri, it has been almost five years and I think there is a limit if he gave up rights verbally. I think you should seek legal counsel if you want it to stick and be sure in your own mind that he can't bother you or your daughter again. It would be nice if you could have peace of mind. I can't advise legally but we do have several people here who can give you some ideas on how to pursue this. I hope you hear from them, so please keep logging in so you can get good opinions.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 27, 2007, 06:02 PM
    I wish I could agree with tickle, but if you have not been to court, and had a order of custody issued, if you have not went to court to take away any of his rights, you will have to go to court.

Next does not matter it has been 4 years, you will have to have the court contact him before they will issue OK for your husband to adopt. Since of course sadly people lie in court about any verbal agreement,

And if the courts truly believe he is sorry for deserting the kids, and that he has changed, they may well give him court ordered visitation and not allow any adoption. And if he goes to court and gets visits ordered by the court, you can't stop it.

Get an attorney, file for adoption and see what happens, but in the end it will depend on the judge and the courts opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Terminating the father's rights [ 6 Answers ]

I am currently 24 weeks pregnant and the father has walked out on us and wants nothing to do with this pregnancy and is not willing to help in any way. I am having a complicated pregnancy and am unable to work probably for the duration of this pregnancy. He seems to think that once the baby comes...

Father's Rights [ 1 Answers ]

My best friend just had a baby, and now the father of the baby is taking her to court for custody (he is threatening to at least). My friend and the baby's father were never married, but he signed the birth certificate. My friend does not want to let him take the baby because he is an alcoholic,...

Father's Rights? [ 7 Answers ]

Does a father have any right if a woman wants to have an unplanned pregancy? Can she demand anything from him if he does not want to participate?

Father's rights [ 8 Answers ]

I have a five year old daughter. Her father was a registered sex offender (I did not know)and left for AK when she was born. I made it clear I wanted nothing to do with him. I have not seen or heard from him in over four years. He knew about his daughter but to my knolwledge has never tried to find...

Natural Father's Rights [ 4 Answers ]

Long story short. Dated a women I'll name "Jane" several times. On the last date, she said she had a husband who was in jail. The fact that she was married was enough to end the relationship. Since then I have married a longtime sweetheart. A month and a half after we split up, "Jane" told...

View more questions Search