Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CoachMike Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2007, 04:34 PM
    Smitty Drain pan connection to black PVC drain?
    I am installing a steam generator for my shower. The unit has an attached drain pan with a "smitty drain" 3/4 inch connection. I am lost as to how to connect this to the black PVC drain system in my home. Thanks for any help here.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2007, 05:30 PM
    Is there a way to gravity drain it to the outside?
    CoachMike Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2007, 06:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by iamgrowler
    Is there a way to gravity drain it to the outside?
    No, I'd have to rip up the flooring in another room and then I'd come out in the middle of the porch roof in the front of the house. But thanks for the suggestion.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 28, 2007, 06:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachMike
    I am installing a steam generator for my shower. The unit has an attached drain pan with a "smitty drain" 3/4 inch connection. I am lost as to how to connect this to the black PVC drain system in my home. Thanks for any help here.
    Hey Mike,

First off you'll have to install a 3/4" AC comdensate "P" trap on the outlet of the pan, pipe over to the ABS drain line and cut in the appropriate fitting to pick up the 3/4" drain line. Because the details are so sketchy that's about all I can suggest. Good luck, Tom
    kaelin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2011, 12:44 PM
    I am installing a kohler steam generator for my shower. The unit did not come with a drain pan. Do I need a drain pan and or an actual drain for a steam generator unit? Thanks for your help!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 22, 2011, 02:26 PM

Hi Kaelin...

Not to doubt you, but are you sure that once the steam unit is removed from the box there isn't some kind of pan attached... may be connected already??

If not, you definitely want to set the steam generator in some kind of pan... doesn't need to be anything special... can be plastic. Here, the generator could fail someday and you will be best to prepare in such a way that you minimize any damage to the area the steam generator is sitting.

You will want to connect a drain and if possible, run it to the outside of the building... just in case you have some kind of overflow condition.

Now, where are you piping the relief valve too... hmmm? That should also go outside or be piped to a location that you can see on a regular basis just in case the relief valve discharges for any reason. Here, local plumbing codes would dictate how to proceed... ;)

Finally, and hopefully, not too late, but how did you prep. The shower area for this steam system? What type of shower enclosure... tile or wall surround? If a tile shower, do you have a vapor barrier behind the wall? How about the ceiling... is it pitched away from where you will be sitting? Does the shower door have some kind of transom... nice addition to a steam room... ;)

Answer my questions... and ask any more that you might have, OK?

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fridge - Drain Pan [ 32 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to clean a non-removable drain pan at the back of the fridge. It is very hard to get at and I think that may be where my problem is. Thanks :)

Washer drain pan drain [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to install a drain for a washing machine drain pan. I am looking for advice for tying the drain into my existing plumbing. I have attached pictures with the overall layout and a closeup showing where I need to tie in. The washing machine will be on the left. I need to tie...

PVC Shower Pan Drain Installation [ 2 Answers ]

I'm installing a 36" x 36" PVC shower pan in a 2nd floor bath. I have a two piece shower drain where the bottom piece is glued to the 2" PVC waste line. It appears that I'm to glue the bottom piece flush with the subfloor, lay in the pan, and screw down the top of the drain (w/ rubber gasket). ...

Strain on a PVC drain connection? [ 1 Answers ]

In plumbing a PVC drain system, I'm wondering how much strain can be put on the assembly in order to get proper slopes, connect fittings, etc. Here's an over-simplified example just to illustrate the point: Say you have a toilet at one end of a bathroom, and a stack 8 feet away at the other...

Refrigerator drain pan [ 1 Answers ]

I also have a refrigerator with a built in drain pan that I can't access or find. It is a Sears Kenmore. Was anyone able to help answer how to remove the pan?

View more questions Search