Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    naderbd Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2005, 10:06 AM
    How to calculate Taxes deducted from my weekly salary?
    I am an employee, married and have 2 sons 15&10 years old…my whole hour salary is $9, I live in New York I want to know exactly how I can calculate the taxes deducted from my salary including the new one….. with example please

Regards….
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 30, 2005, 11:23 AM
    Naderbd:

The FICA taxes are easy. For Social Security, they withhold 6.2% of your gross wages. For Medicare, they withhold 1.45% of your gross wages. Withholding example below:

$9 x 40 hours = $360 (weekly pay)

$360 x .062 = $22.32 (weekly Social Security withholding)

$360 x .0145 = $5.22 (weekly Medicare withholding)

Now, if that income is your only income for your family, then you should have ZERO withheld for federal and state income taxes. You make too little to have to pay any income taxes at either the state or federal level. Now, if your spouse works, different story!

There is no formula to determine how much is withheld for income taxes. The withholding amounts are displayed in tables in IRS Circular E and are based on your marital status and number of exemptions you claim.
    naderbd Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2005, 01:49 PM
    Some details
    Thanks very much for your prompt reply .in fact the deducted taxex from me are 5 kinds of taxes …my wife is working she takes $6.25 per hour for the first 40 hours and after that $9.39 for every additional hour so can you tell me if it will change the tax calculation in your reply ….
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Naderbd:
    The FICA taxes are easy. For Social Security, they withhold 6.2% of your gross wages. For Medicare, they withhold 1.45% of your gross wages. Withholding example below:

$9 x 40 hours = $360 (weekly pay)

$360 x .062 = $22.32 (weekly Social Security withholding)

$360 x .0145 = $5.22 (weekly Medicare withholding)

Now, if that income is your only income for your family, then you should have ZERO withheld for federal and state income taxes. You make too little to have to pay any income taxes at either the state or federal level. Now, if your spouse works, different story!

There is no formula to determine how much is withheld for income taxes. The withholding amounts are displayed in tables in IRS Circular E and are based on your marital status and number of exemptions you claim.
    susan silberman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2010, 01:35 PM
    What are the weekly withholding taxes for
    Weekly salary: $500.00
    Married, 5 dependends,
    NYC resident
    susan silberman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2010, 01:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by susan silberman View Post
    what are the weekly withholding taxes for
    weekly salary: $500.00
    married, 5 dependends,
    nyc resident
    What are the federal, nys, and nyc withholding taxes
    scamille Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2010, 09:54 PM
    If I make 12.25 bi-weekly what will my check come out to every pa period and I work 36 hours? And I'm getting state and federal as well as medical and ss out
    tnj3birds Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2010, 05:51 PM
    What is my federal,ss and medicare withholding I have 3 children and single head of house hold
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 7, 2010, 11:26 AM
    ALL CONCERNED:

The Social Security (6.2%) and Medicare (1.45%) are flat taxes. You can do the grade school math to determine what the withholdings would be.

For the rest, you need to download Circular E from Internal Revenue Service to determine what the federal incoem tax withhlding will be.

The states have state-equivalent tax tables which you can access at the state tax websites.
    lihuakuo0210 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2010, 04:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by susan silberman View Post
    what are the weekly withholding taxes for
    weekly salary: $500.00
    married, 5 dependends,
    nyc resident
    ask help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home country salary from US salary [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a L1 visa holder from india and was working in Massachusetts from aug 2005 to dec 2005 as a contractor from my original company in india. I used to receive the US salary from aug 2005 to dec 2005 for which I have the W2. During the same period I also used to receive my indian...

Salary Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

How do I doFederal and Social Security Tax calculations for salary employees, using several dependants?

Opt ( ssn & medicare deducted - 2004 ) [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am Indian citizen and was employed during my OPT from Feb 17th 2004 to June 2004 , from July 2004 I am on my H1B . While I was on my OPT my SSN and Medicare was dedicated , and I was told by the employer to claim the money from IRS . I have submitted all the necessary documentation along...

About bi weekly mortgages [ 12 Answers ]

Just wondering if any one has had any experince with a biweekly type mortgage. We are getting ready to fill out some papers to start up that type of Mortgage. I know it would be cheaper to just pay the extra payment myself. That is what it works out to is paying an extra payment a year. But...

View more questions Search