Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tp1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2007, 03:29 PM
    Sears tractor
    I have a 19.5 hp sears tractor. Last year it didn't run well, so same this year. I changed the spark plugs, air filter, oil, fuel filter, took apart carb and cleaned all the goop out. I checked the fuel pump, but cannot tell if it really works, but I do have vacuum at the base of it.

The mower runs, but only on full choke, as soon as you change the choke it dies. On full choke you can move the tractor, but after a few feet it starts to sputter, and either dies, or just catches itself and does it again.

I was thinking fuel pump replacement, but should I check anything else? I don't know what else it could be.
    Thanks
    tp1
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Apr 27, 2007, 07:03 PM
    Fuel pumps NEVER go out. Have you rebuilt and boiled the carb in a solution? Have you replaced the fuel filter.

I have had machines run when the pump was removed from the system. Try gravity feeding the carb with a reserve fuel tank to satisfy your interest.

Don
    candykitten70 Posts: 34, Reputation: 5

Apr 27, 2007, 08:53 PM
    Are you using fresh gas?
    tp1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2007, 06:11 AM
    This was a problem from last year, used fresh gas last year, put Stabilizeer and topped off the tank at the end of last season and ran for a few minutes when put into storage. I also added a bottle of carb cleaner/fuel injector cleaner to the tank this year after having the problems.
    I think the issue must be in the carb. I plan on taking it all apart again, and really being meticulous this time. I was thinking as I ride it, when I hit any hill in my yard, it immediately stalls out, which I just thought must be a sticky float valve. Would you agree?
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Apr 28, 2007, 06:19 AM
    No, a fuel starve will cause you to loose power on hills and probably won't be a sticky float. The fuel stabilizer is a good idea but whem faced with a fuel starve ALWAYS start with NEW fuel. It could be a dirty barb in that scenario you would need to remove jets and clean well.
    Don

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sears Model 917.256524 Lawn tractor 15.5 HP [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 15.5 Hp Craftsman lawn tractor. It starts fine but when you push the blade lever up to engage the blades the mower dies. Also if you let out on the brake/clutch pedel the mower stops. Note: the blade safety switch is OK and so is the clutch safety switch as is the seat safety switch. Any...

Smell of burning rubber after changing drive belt on Sears Garden Tractor [ 3 Answers ]

I changed the Motion Drive Belt on my 20hp 1999 Sears Garden Tractor. After changing, tested it, and it has plenty of "pick up" and runs good. However, after a minute or two, smell burning rubber. Is this normal, perhaps a "break in" period, or is it likely I have done something wrong?

Old Sears furnace [ 1 Answers ]

We have an older(at least 20 years that we know of) Sears series 600 furnace. Recently the blower started coming on for 10 to 15 seconds than shutting off. After 3 or 4 times of doing this furnace will run through a normal cycle. Also ,sometimes the blower will come on as soon as the burner lights...

Sears elite dryer [ 2 Answers ]

Sears gas dryer will run but no heat. It is a front load about 5 years old... Any help out there?

Sears Craftsman Lawn Tractor [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 10 HP Craftsman lawn tractor that will not move. The clutch works and it goes into gearbut the flat wheel spins and the gear wheel seems too have not enough pressure on it to move. Could this be just a loose drive belt? Thanks, Charlie

View more questions Search