Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gymnast6394 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2007, 02:47 PM
    Orthopedic surgery
    I really want to become an orthopedic surgeon. I want to know how many years of school. What are some good colleges? And what are some good places to intern at?:confused:
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2007, 02:58 PM
    You have a most honorable goal for yourself. If this is truly your gift, I wish you great success in your endeavors. My youngest son has several ortho surgeons on his team but the best one was educated in Canada, in Winnipeg and then Toronto.

It takes about 14 years to become an orthopedic surgeon.

Undergraduate Education. (4 years)
    We'll start at college... Four years of undergraduate with one year of biology, two years of chemistry, and one year of physics.
    What classes do I need to take?

The Medical College Admission Test. (1 day)
    The MCAT is one day you'll be happy to have behind you. Four sections: biological sciences, physical sciences, verbal, and a written sample.

Medical School Applications.
    They come in two rounds, a preliminary and secondary, and follow with an interview if competitive. Entrance rates vary, but schools usually admit about 5-10% of applicants.

Medical School. (4 years)
    Four years of medical school. The first two are classroom based, and the final two are hospital based. Graduate as an M.D. or D.O. (osteopathic medicine).

National Board Exams. (3 days)
    Two parts taken during medical school, one after 2nd year, the other after 3rd year. Each is one full day of testing on fundamental medical knowledge.

Residency Applications.
    Applications done in the fall before beginning orthopedics residency, the interviews are offered in the winter if you are going to be considered.
    Match Day. (1 day)
    This is the big day for medical students as everyone finds out at one time the result of their hard work and where they'll be for residency.

Internship. (1 year)
    The first year of your residency is called an internship. The first day, July 1, is always a fun day to be around the hospital!

Residency. (4 years)
    Four years of studying the fundamentals of orthopedic surgery. Rotate through the major subspecialties in several different hospitals to get good exposure to orthopedic surgery.

Fellowship (optional). (1 year)
    A one year fellowship in a sub-specialty is an option for orthopedic surgeons to focus on sports medicine, pediatric orthopedics, or other specialties.

That's it!
    Before you know it you'll be on your own as a practicing orthopedic surgeon.

This is a link to medical school curriculum: What is the Medical School Curriculum?

Colleges? If you can get into Johns Hopkins you are doing very good. Stanford University also has an excellent program - but there are so many colleges to consider.
    Follow this link and start looking: Also contact your school's guidance counselor for information: orthopedic surgeon schools - Google Search

Best of all fortunes to you.
    rainercorvin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2012, 01:59 AM
    Becoming a Orthopedic surgeon is a very good option as a career and I really like this aim. Thanks orthopedic surgeons

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Uvula surgery [ 2 Answers ]

My son who is now 5 yrs old was born with a double uvula. (uvula is the small fleshy thing that hangs at the back of the throat). His double uvula doesn't cause him any problems, he eat well, sleeps well and besides a very active child. The only problem is that some people say his has nasal speech,...

NO to Surgery! [ 2 Answers ]

I am a black female with horrible stretch marks on my hips. I am very young so I love the low rise jeans, but I can not wear them because of my problem areas. I went to a dermatologist and he suggested plastic surgery, I have seen creams that reduce the appearance of strech marks, but I would like...

Stress and Surgery [ 1 Answers ]

I am going in for a hysterectomy in two weeks, and my boss has been evil to me since I told him I would be missing 2 1/2 weeks for the surgery and to recover. He is abusive and demeaning everyday, but he always waits until right before I go home, so I am upset when I leave. I fully believe he is...

Orthopedic surgery in sports medicine [ 1 Answers ]

How is math used in orthopedic surgery ?:eek:

View more questions Search