Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oldhousefan1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2007, 11:06 AM
    Asbestos over wood siding
    I am interested in buying older home, but it has asbestos over wood siding? How expensive or feasible to remove? If not able to remove what can you do?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2007, 11:35 AM
    I think as long as you leave it alone, everything is OK. I am sure removing it would mean complying with expensive regulations. If it looks OK, and the price is right, very right, you could buy it and leave it alone. If it looks shabby, you could even paint it.

You might better post this to the Real Estate Law forum because it is mostly a legal problem. There wasn't a problem until the politicians got involved.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2007, 11:44 AM
    A typical estimate to remove it is $100.00 per sqare foot, but if its shingles made of asbestos it might cost a lot less as they should come off relatively easily.

But if its exterior and there is no danger of particles coming off, you can leave it. The material is only dangerous if you inhale it, if the siding is in good condition it won't release particles in the air.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2007, 12:24 PM
    I absolutely agree with the above post. Not an expert in this area, but I've looked at buying investment prop, some of which has asbestos siding. As long as its in good shape, don't worry. The asbestos is impregnated in the material and its just not a concern.

Is it damaged at all? Or just not visually pleasing? Some of the asbestos sidings I've seen are not the prettiest things on the block.
    joethesummer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2011, 09:11 PM
    Comment on labman's post
    Yes, other than increased risk of mesothelioma, increased risk of lung cancer, asbestosis, or cancers of the larynx or kidney, there wasn't a problem at all.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2011, 09:14 PM
    Considering the thread is over 3 years old, I'm guessing a choice was already made.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How To Tell If Wood Siding Needs to Be Replaced? [ 5 Answers ]

We recently received three estimates for painting the exterior of our house. One of the contractors said we needed to replace all the wood siding on one side of our house, and part of the siding on another side. The other two did not mention replacing siding. How can we tell if we need to...

Asbestos siding [ 1 Answers ]

I just purchased an asbestos siding old farmhouse and would like to move it a quarter of a mile down the road to my farm and do extensive remodeling on it. I was wondering if it was safe to move.

Asbestos siding removal/covering [ 5 Answers ]

I have just purchased a home in Norfolk VA that has asbestos siding. I would like to find out if I can remove it, and replace with Certianteed siding panels, or can I place the panels directly on top of the original asbestos.

Wood siding scenario [ 4 Answers ]

Help me! I'm at my wits end here. I've scraped, painted, sanded, filled, grinded, scraped for years on my garage siding ( 8" wood) and nothing I do seems to last! It flakes, bubbles and checks all over. I've used oil based primer, as I've been told, and nothing seems to work. Before I take a match...

Asbestos? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking into replacing my wood siding on my house (Chicago)that was built in 1956. I was going to strip off the old and put some new siding up BUT on further inspection I noticed a drywall type insulation between the plywood and the siding. It's about a 1/2 in thick and it looks like drywall...

View more questions Search