Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robertsqueen Posts: 376, Reputation: 43

Apr 27, 2007, 09:14 AM
    I feel like a failure
    Okay I don't know how to say this but I feel like a failure. I have studied my butt off in math and this last test I studied the most... I still only got a 30%. This means that I am flunking math. I have tried to talk to the teacher but all he says is do better. I barley see my own son... I am always studying, and working. Or at school. My husband stays with him during the day.. and my son prefers him. I am trying to cope with my aunts illness, and my brothers drug addiction. I feel like I am failing at everything. My husband is bored with life. I am just about ready to give up... please help me. Am I a failure?:(

Apr 27, 2007, 09:30 AM
    Anyone?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Apr 27, 2007, 09:36 AM
    I don't understand how you can think of yourself as a failure. If anything, you may acknowlege you've got a lot on your proverbial plate. Have you looked at everything going on in your life and said "I can control it all?" Step back and look at each dilemma and see if it's yours or does this issue belong to someone else.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2007, 09:39 AM
    Is there a tutoring building on your campus? Many campuses have a math lab that can help you with the higher math demads of college. Are you a failure, heck no!! You made it to college, and can juggle class and a family. I would say you are anything but a failure.

Are you able to spend time with your husband just you and him? Perhaps that is what you both need to feel special again. Maybe take a Saturday night for the 2 of you... and then a Sunday for the three of you. Put school on the back burner for one weekend. It just might rejuvinate you enough to get you through the semester.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2007, 09:45 AM
    Math was the tough course for me, too. Statistics made me cry every time I tried to tackle an exam. I would agree that finding a tutor would be a great idea. You need help with the concepts and looks like the teacher is no help.

You have a lot going on. You are not a failure - you are just having a Supermom crisis. You will get through it. Does your school offer online classes? That was the only way I could manage going back to school.

Hang in there.
    iscorpio Posts: 124, Reputation: 17

Apr 27, 2007, 02:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by robertsqueen
    Okay I don't know how to say this but I feel like a failure. I have studied my butt off in math and this last test I studied the most...I still only got a 30%. This means that I am flunking math. I have tried to talk to the teacher but all he says is do better. I barley see my own son...I am always studying, and working. or at school. My husband stays with him during the day..and my son prefers him. I am trying to cope with my aunts illness, and my brothers drug addiction. I feel like I am failing at everything. My husband is bored with life. I am just about ready to give up.......please help me. Am I a failure?:(
    No you are not a failure, you are a wife and mother and you try to be there for both your brother and your aunt, how can this be failure, so you can't make the grade in maths at the moment, it is not the end of the world, you cannot be good at everything, try again when you do not have so much on your plate, I reckon that you deserve a medal for what you having to deal with at the moment and as for your son of course he does not prefer your husband he loves you both equally, is just that the circumstances dictate that your husband is there more for him at the moment, you make me laugh when you say your husband is bored, well maybe he can take on some more of your workload, I am sorry but with you run off your feet and he is bored well does that not say it all. Come on be serious you a failure no way. Take care, love and peace anne x
    Rainbow Voice Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2007, 10:55 AM
    RobertsQueen,

I've read a few of your posts.
    In my humble opinion king Robert should be very proud of the queen he has!

To be honest with you you're too great to have such a question in mind = ) .

Apr 29, 2007, 05:17 PM
    Thank you guys for your support. Sometimes life just gets too much you know? It is hard being a student, working and being a mother... and sometimes I just need a boost, cuase my family won't give it to me.
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Apr 29, 2007, 05:39 PM
    No dear lady-- after reading many of your posts, my humble opinion would have to be no.-- Savage

May 6, 2007, 08:19 PM
    So I flunked math... I got a 50% in the class. And my mom hates me now.. and thinks that I am failiure.. I just don't know anymore?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 05:40 AM
    Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again.

Seems to me you had a crummy math teacher. "Do better" isn't teaching. Ask around and maybe someone can suggest a math prof that is a little better at instructing. What level of math are we talking about, BTW?

Put mom on mental hold, enjoy your kid for a while and pick back up in the semester.
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 06:46 AM
    Start the new semester with a new and improved feeling on math. Right in the beginning of the class ask the teacher if he would be available for extra help. If he is not available ask him if he knows if there is a math lab or math tutorial program offered at school. Then go there! Be proactive now that you know that you are struggling with math.

But for right now... enjoy the time off that you have. Put this class behind you, and ask your mom to do the same. Dwelling on something rom the past that you can't change will hinder your success in the future.

May 7, 2007, 09:47 AM
    I have to pay for a whole semister of college... How am I going to do that??
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 09:50 AM
    Pay your mom back or pay for the upcoming semeser?

May 7, 2007, 09:52 AM
    Pay for the upcoming semister which is like 2,000 dollars... I can't afford that! I am so disapointed in myself
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 10:04 AM
    Can you apply for grants or loans?

Is this because she is so upset with you getting a failing grade? Maybe you should sit your mom down and calmly discuss your difficulties in math over the last sememster. Together make a plan of what you can do to be more successful. Perhaps that will help her see that you are serious. Then ask her if she will pay for the semester and then you can pay her back little by little. That way you don't stop attending school.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 7, 2007, 10:14 AM
    Let me let you in on a little something Queen dear. Guess what, I failed 2 math courses during my prerequisite semesters, yet I got into nursing school after having to take them over again, I won't tell you how many times. I came to find out I have a learning disbility in math, it is much like dyslexia, but is called dyscalculia.

So, I am not a failure, neither are you.

Your mother has not supported you on many fronts over the past few years (remember the thread about your relative over easter?) What makes you think she will support you now?

Go to the financial aid office, apply for grants, loans, scholarships. There are many out there tailor fit to every circumstance. Meet with your advisor, ask what kind of remediation they offer if any.

Your college must have a Student Support Services that offers tutoring for free in many cases.

One semester I spent 250 hours, yes 250 HOURS, in tutoring and went to Intermediate Algebra Monday, Wednesday and Friday during my scheduled class time, and also went Monday and Wednesday to sit in during OTHER class times. Guess what, I passed, but I believe it was because the instructor knew I knew the math, but froze on tests. This was the SECOND time I took this course, but I chose a different instructor the second time around.

Sweetie, we are here to support you, if not monitarily, then emotionally. You my dear are NOT a failure! You have a full plate right now and have NO time to concentrate on everything.

Take the summer off, tell your mom off, and worry about you, your kiddo hubby and aunt, then start fresh in the fall. You will be amazed what a break will do!

May 7, 2007, 06:28 PM
    I can't get any help from finacail aid I am on fianacial aid suspension. So that is out. I also have the same math disability, plus horrible test anxiety. All he graded on was test and quizzes... no homework.. If he graded on homework I would have passed with a c. I am going to just pay for this semister and prove everyone wrong... they think I am going to drop out. I am also going to take this time to spend with my son. I want to thank all of my friends here at the ask help desk that have helped me out of many situations. I consider you all very close friends.. even though we have not met. So thank you.
    gogosean Posts: 47, Reputation: 6

May 7, 2007, 06:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by robertsqueen
    Okay I don't know how to say this but I feel like a failure. I have studied my butt off in math and this last test I studied the most...I still only got a 30%. This means that I am flunking math. I have tried to talk to the teacher but all he says is do better. I barley see my own son...I am always studying, and working. or at school. My husband stays with him during the day..and my son prefers him. I am trying to cope with my aunts illness, and my brothers drug addiction. I feel like I am failing at everything. My husband is bored with life. I am just about ready to give up.......please help me. Am I a failure?:(
    You are not a failure, but you are a very busy person. The assumptions about students that do well in school are that they are supported, well rested, and have time to study. I have seen remarkable results from people who go to professional tutoring centers. I do not know what kind of math you are learning. If you are in college, then most math departments have "math labs". For high school and below, some states require that school districts offer free tutoring, especially to those with hardships.
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

May 7, 2007, 06:39 PM
    I would say enjoy your boy, before he has to go to school.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kidney failure [ 7 Answers ]

Please help! My dog has been diagnosed with kidney failure. She will not eat and rarely drink or go to the bathroom. She just lays around, coughs, and vomits flem. The doctor says we need to put her down. The doctor had given her some medicine and vitamins. I am wondering if there is ANYTHING...

Failure code [ 1 Answers ]

He2 plus washer, what does the code F01 mean

Failure to Launch [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there, First time posting... hope someone out there can help :D 1stly... some system info.. AMD Athlon 64bit 3200+ Socket 939 - NF4ST-A9 v1.0 mobo 1g DDR 2100 Ram 2x IDE 7300rpm HDD

Thermostat Failure? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a wall mounted Whirlpool air conditioner which was bought new 3 years ago. The thermostat on this unit appears to have quit functioning this summer. It just continuously pours out cold air and eventually causes the unit to ice up. Any suggestions as to what I can try to get the thermostat...

Computer failure [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sirs or madams: I have a Midwest micro computer about 9 yrs. Old. We use it for the games that are part of the windows version loaded into it permanently. A few days ago it would not load and come on as it did before. The messages say the hard drive is not installed and the battery is low. ...

View more questions Search