Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lord_Darkclaw Posts: 295, Reputation: 38

Apr 27, 2007, 08:55 AM
    Arghh! S.L.O.W graphics
    Does anyone know why the graphics run so slowly on my newly built PC? :eek:

I've installed the drivers for the motherboard, but there is still a big problem with graphics; when I open a folder and then drag the window around the screen, it leaves a 'trail' of windows - like when the system is about too crash or is out of memory. Also, videos from my old hard drive and CD's won't play correctly; they have horizontal lines of 'static' all over the screen. But strangely, when I play streamed videos on websites, those play with no problems.

I'm tempted to buy a budget graphics card in the hope that it might cure the problem, but I'm sure that my onboard graphics should be up to the job. :confused:

Apr 27, 2007, 10:52 AM
    I just got a reply on another website (Build Your Own PC - great site that):

"My onboard graphics does exactly the same, and I get that effect of window trails, and scrolling is painful! Also, videos in media players were impossible to watch..

A budget card (I'm using a GeForce FX 5200) although a 128MB card from Scan (Such as the GeForce 6200) is only £25.84 Inc VAT, which should solve all your problems - provided that you don't use the computer for games. "

I think he's probably right, but does anyone disagree?
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Apr 30, 2007, 08:24 AM
    Have you checked device manager to ensure there is no yellow exclamation beside the video card ? Sometimes you might have to manually install the video card driver.

How about increasing the VGA frame buffer size in the BIOS?

I have two pc's using on-board video, Nvidia 6150 and Intel GMA3000. They both play HD videos very smoothly (with the right codecs of course).:)
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2007, 08:45 AM
    Yes, I would also advice you to buy a new graphics card for even a cheaper that would do the job.

Apr 30, 2007, 03:12 PM
    Thanks HVAC and Benn, yes I have installed a new driver but it has only made a very slight improvement. I've ordered a graphics card now which I hope will solve the problem.
    I find it very strange though that my old Optiplex 110 Pentium III which only has onboard graphics gives much better results.. I mean, it's over 15 years old!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Graphics card [ 12 Answers ]

Hey there! I have a Dell 5150 Series and was looking to update the graphics card, how ever I have a spare graphics card but it seems too big for the computer, is there any other sort of graphics card I could buy for my machine? :)

New Graphics Card [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 9800pro. I want a new AGP graphics card with a good performance increase from this for about £100. PCI-E is out of the question so don't bother. Also the graphics on my MOBO is DDR, will other types of DDR such as DDR2 and DDR3 graphics cards work on this? The MOBO is an Abit V-10.

Graphics Driver [ 2 Answers ]

Hey all! I was wondering.. In my desktop I have a Intel 82815 Graphic Controller(driver).. something is wrong with it. It keeps making my computer crash. The Intel guys say they no longer use this driver and will not give any information on it.. Is there another driver I can download to replace the...

Need help with a new graphics card [ 4 Answers ]

OK the help I need is some generous soul to lend me $1999 for This Stonker !!!. I'll even time share it if you want ;)

Xp graphics [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently installed xp on my pc it went on OK but to get the screen to display xp I have to uninstall my graphics card it is a radion a t I. Has anyone got any ideas please john

View more questions Search