Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gud08 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2005, 02:15 PM
    Regarding form 1040/1040NR
    Hi,

I was working on OPT till end of September 2004 and then on H1 visa from October 1, 2004. I was also outside US for 30 days in November 2004. I am filing my taxes for 2004 now. Reading through all the posts I understand that I will need to file 1040NR as I don't meet the substantial test.

I am from India. Can I claim the standard deduction under US-India treaty article 21(2) as I was on OPT (associated with student visa) till September ? The treaty says something like it is for students and business apprentices who are residents of India.

One more question, I had filed the taxes for "2003" through a CPA. I was on F1 visa for 2003 but I checked now and found that he had filed 1040 for me. As I was on F1 visa then and was a non resident he should have filed 1040NR.

If I will be filing 1040NR for 2004 do I also need to amend for 2003 and file amended 1040NR.

Please advise me what's the correct way for me to go.

Thanks,
    Gud
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 11, 2005, 06:36 AM
    Gud:

For 2003, you need to file Form 1040X to amend your return. You should attach a completed Form 1040NR to the Form 1040X to file properly as a non-resident alien. You should amend your 2003 return before you file the 2004 return, and send the amended 2003 return to the Philadelphia IRS Center. If you need more detailed guidance, contact me at [email protected].

For both 2003 and 2004, you may claim the standard deduction due to your OPT status.
    sushmita Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2005, 08:35 AM
    How to claim Social Security and Medicare Tax for F1 status period
    Hi
    I converted from F1 to H1B status on 1st Oct. My company has deducted Social Security and Medicare for the entire biweekly period although I should have ideally been taxed only for one week when I converted the status. I understand that I need to file the 1040NREZ form since I have been on F1 most of the year under OPT and I can claim standard deduction as an Indian citizen. How do I claim for my one week of Social Security and medicare tax for 2005? Thanks
    Regards
    Sushmita
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 13, 2005, 11:26 AM
    Sushmita:

I have answered your queries via e-mail. Contact me if you have further questions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to file taxes with no income [ 6 Answers ]

Hi... hope someone can help me, I am a full time student.. I live off school grants and veteran disability benefit money. This is the first time I have not received any income for a whole year. And I don't know how to file my taxes without a w2. But I do know that it is nessesary to file my taxes...

How to file taxes report for F1-OPT-H1B status [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Atlanta Tax Expert, I read most of your post responses and still have questions since my dumbness, but I will make them simple and short. I entered USA (Atlanta, GA) on 07/12/2001 as a F-1 student from PR China. My OPT started on 08/03/2004 and switched to H1-B on 08/01/2005. I joined...

Income tax for H1 and OPT status [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I started working on my OPT from May to July and In July last week I started working on H1. Now What Income tax forms I need to fill out. I don't know nayhting about it. I will really appreciate a detailed response. I worked for two different companies ( one on OPT and one on H1 B Status). ...

Converting file formats [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know how I can convert 3gp files to jpeg I wanted to post a video file to this site as one of my questions but only certain file formats can be used. The file is from my Samsung d500 phone. Also What is the best file converting software?

Do I need to file income tax during my F-1 Status? [ 1 Answers ]

During year 2004 (F-1 status) I sold merchandise on Ebay and earned a reasonable income. Do I need to file income tax for year 2004? If I do need to file Income tax do I have any benefits? Or different form to fill out? Currently I am working in this Company with my OPT (Started on January 05)

View more questions Search