Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Auzivision Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 10:30 AM
    Condenser Fan Motor Replacement
    I’m attempting to replace the condenser fan motor on a Trane XB1000. It originally came with a .25 hp GE motor with mounting stud that are about 3 inches apart. The only suitable replacement that specs out (type, volts, amps, rpm, etc.) is an AO Smith unit, but the mounting studs are about 3.75 inches apart and the wiring is different.

I believe I’ve got the wiring figured out. Ignore the old capacitor hook up that is shared with the compressor motor, connect the new capacitor alone, then the two power lines to the switched side on the contactor relay. There is also an additional ground which I presume can be connect to the frame/chassis/box.

My question is, do you think I should be able to find a direct replacement or should I just make the necessary modifications. If yes, where would be a good source? It doesn’t appear that Grainger carries these in any other size.

I really appreciate your anticipate assistance.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 26, 2007, 12:02 PM
    I would get the original motor if you can. The mounting of that motor can be a real stinker if you try to adapt a different frame motor to the XB1000. The original motor is still available from GE/Trane.
    Auzivision Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2007, 06:11 AM
    Thanks for the response, I really appreciated it. I'll keep looking. Does anyone know of a source for the smaller framed condenser motors? The only condenser motors Grainger had for sale were larger as in 3.75 inches between mounting studs.

I don't understand the nomenclature used to identify frame sizes. I believe the one I purchased was a FR 48Y and I have yet to figure out what is the correct frame size for the GE unit I'm attempting to replace. I will check the label again. Any tips on what I should be looking for would be appreciated.

Thanks Again!
    anm1313 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2007, 10:09 PM
    The condenser fan motor is a #42 frame.
    You can use an A/O smith #9723 Multifit for this bolt pattern.(about$80)wholesale
    You can also use a trane or American Standard part #MOTO8895 ($150) wholesale.

This product appears to have been made special so they can get $150 for a $40 product.;)
    carecorps Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2011, 03:42 PM
    I need a GE Motor HP 1/4 V200-230 A1.30 RPM 11 for a Trane High Efficiency XB 1000
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2011, 02:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by carecorps View Post
    I need a GE Motor HP 1/4 V200-230 A1.30 RPM 11 for a Trane High Efficiency XB 1000
    Post the actual model # of the unit. The label can usually be found on the corner of the unit.
    busmanalief Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2011, 04:20 PM
    Try electricalmotorwarehouse.com
    JamesP777 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2012, 07:47 AM
    How do I change out a condenser fan motor for a Trane unit?

May 4, 2012, 07:49 AM
    I have a Trane unit (model # ycy036G1h0aa) that needs a new condeser fan motor. How do I change the fan motor out?

May 4, 2012, 07:51 AM
    Also, is there a universal condenser fan motor that can be purchased and changed out relatively easy?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacement condenser fan motor wires are too short - now what? [ 2 Answers ]

The wires are about 10 inches too short. In normal wiring one would make a junction box and wire up extensions, but there is no place for a junction box inside the unit, of course. The original fan motor also used a flexible metal conduit, although the new fan wires appear to be overinsulated for...

Condenser fan motor replacement [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Rheem heat pump and have purchased a replacement condenser fan motor. It had an Emerson KA55HXPAM-7255 and was crossed over to an A O Smith ORM 1008. My problem is the wiring, the new motor has one more wire than the old one. I had orange, brown, black on the old one. The new one has...

How do I wire up my new AC condenser fan motor? [ 7 Answers ]

My new AC condenser fan motor has an extra wire. What do I do with it? AC is a 1996 SEER 12 Rheem. New motor is an A.O. Smith 1/8 HP 208 RPM 208-230 volt. Old motor has 3 wires, black, brown, and orange. New motor has 4. Black, brown, orange, and brown with a white stripe. Does anybody...

What killed my heatpump condenser fan motor? [ 10 Answers ]

I have a heatpump that used a three speed condenser fan motor controlled by a computer board. The board would select the fan speed using one of three relays (one for each speed) connected to the corresponding motor wire for each speed. The board needed replaced because it was not operating the...

Wiring of a Rheem Condenser fan motor [ 1 Answers ]

The motor looks to have 2 orange wires, 1 black wire, and 1 brown wire. Where do they go back to. Do the 2 orange wires go to the capacitor? Black go to contact + and brown to common? The 2 orange wires have continuity between them with no or little resistance. Are these both ground wires or...

View more questions Search