Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ohio_Remodeler Posts: 85, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 08:36 AM
    Reducing PVC from 4" to 3"
    This run goes from 4" cast iron to 3" PVC and back to 4" cast iron. Is it necessary to replace the 3" PVC with 4" PVC?

If it is, please refer me to the code in the Plumber's code book that requires this.

What type of hubs are code to use to replace this?

What code book do plumbers use? I'm in Ohio.
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 26, 2007, 10:38 AM
    As a rule it's not a good practice to choke down drainage but, what da hell. I'm a great believer in, "If it ain't broke don't fix it." There may be some experts that disagree with me but if it's been working leave it be. Good luck, Tom
    Ohio_Remodeler Posts: 85, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 12:47 PM
    Thanks for the quick response. I agree with you, but the plumbing inspector is saying it needs to be updated. What type of connectors to go from 4" cast iron to 4" PVC? Where in the 2006 International Plumbing Code does it say those connectors are allowed?
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2007, 06:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio_Remodeler
    Thanks for the quick response. I agree with you, but the plumbing inspector is saying it needs to be updated. What type of connectors to go from 4" cast iron to 4" PVC? Where in the 2006 International Plumbing Code does it say those connectors are allowed?

Again, I'm speaking to the prevailing code in my area, which is the Uniform Plumbing Code.

The accepted transition from Cast to Plastic is a Fernco or Mission CP-44 shielded coupling.

The rubber fitting at the bottom of the photo would be prohibited for use inside a building in my area, unshielded clamped fittings are strictly used for below ground transitions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

A/C or Heat does not work w/thermostat set "on" or "auto". [ 22 Answers ]

A/C or Heat doesn't work in "on" or "auto". Fan will not come on at the "on" position either. I changed the batteries in the thermostat. I also read somewhere to disconnect the "Y" and hold it to the "R" on the thermostat for two minutes. That will tell me if the thermostat is the problem. ...

PVC to Cast iron "Speed bump" [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, I call this thread the speed bump because when I dug out my basement floor to replace an upstream section of cast iron pipe with new pvc pipe for a bathroom and to move my stack, the downstream attachemtn to the cast iron pipe is now giving me some mild trouble. The cross section of...

Toilet , 4" pvc to 3" cast [ 4 Answers ]

I have a home with a basement and problems with a toilet on the first floor. I had to repair the floor because the old cast flange was leaking. I cut out The flange and around 4 foot of old cast 3" pipe. I repaired the floor and used a 4" pvc flange and 4" pvc pipe with a 4"to3" rubber boot to...

View more questions Search