Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sciconf Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2005, 01:00 PM
    Should I move my former 401k into an IRA
    Hi

I have taken a dist from my former 401k into an eligible retirement a/c.

If I open an IRA should I merge the former 401k-eligible retirement a/c to this IRA?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 28, 2005, 02:08 PM
    Sciconf:

If you are absolutely sure that you do not want to roll your 401K money into a future 401K, then you can roll the 401K into an existing IRA. However, once that is done, you can never roll the 401K money into a 401K with a future employer.

If you want to retain the flexibility of rolling the money into a new employer's 401K, then open a separate rollover IRA just for the 401K money. Add no more money to that separate account, and you will have the option of rolling the money into some future employer's 401K plan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What should be my next move? [ 14 Answers ]

What should be my next move? Hey all! This is my first post and I just want to say that this seems to be a great forum! :) Anyway here is my problem. This is going to be a looooong post so if you want a shorter version, please tell me. Even though I think its best if you know the...

Do I Move On? [ 5 Answers ]

My ex left about 4 months ago for a new job. We had a wonderful and very loving relationship but he didn't ask me to go with him. It broke my heart. I find that I can't seem to let go. We chat on occasion but I feel as if he has let me go completely and moved on. When he left he shut me out. It was...

Is It To Soon To Move On [ 7 Answers ]

Ok This Is Kandy, And I Really Like This Guy. He Is 20 ,and I Told You All About My Ex Who Hit Me ,and We Have Been Over For 1.5years, And I Need To Know If I Should Go For It.ok Well My Brother His This Friend That Is Always Over At My Grandmothers House,and The Other Night We Were Talking, And...

To move or not to move - Tub Drain [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I am installing a 72" soaker tub into a properly roughed in basement bathroom. The soaker tub's drain is not in the traditional spot and is positioned in the middle of the length of the bath. I have a 2" snub up located about 24-30" from where my tub drain will sit. Do I have to cut up...

Can't move on! [ 8 Answers ]

My boyfriend finished with me around 2 months ago. He has a new girlfriend now but I can not seem to move on. I have not been chasing him or trying to contact him or trying to get him back or anything. Its just I cannot seem to move on. Any advice?

View more questions Search