Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shrekkery Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 07:27 AM
    Is my son gifted or not?
    Hi can any one tell me if my 18month old son is girfted he sleeps inn a single bed doesn't like the cot we can understanted what he wants and he tell up what he what's he can tell us what a car a truck, motor bike and a plane are by the sound they make as they go pasted the house so is my son girfted
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 26, 2007, 07:31 AM
    It is far to early to tell at this point just by what you are saying.
    As for as understanding what he wants, most parents can do that.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 26, 2007, 08:09 AM
    We all love to think our children are gifted. Let me recommend you to a test to detect whether he is gifted for his age. It is called the Brigance Test. My son was tested for kindergarten (he is 5 and in pre-K) using the Brigance Test. He scored at the level of most first graders.

The Brigance Test will test children as young as your son. You may have to ask your pediatrician to administer the test. My son's was administered by a local children's hospital and he was scored at Likely gifted/academically talented. Recommend referral for further testing."
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2007, 08:50 AM
    I don't think you can tell from what you've described.

My 3 yo son had and has a peculiar ability to memorize driving routes. I took him to a toy store once when he was very young, under 2, and he not only knew where we were going the next time I took that route, but he also knew the store from behind. Was bizarre. A LOT of events like that where he has been someplace one time and the next time he knew where we were headed, like the zoo, at a really young age.

Also... kids can progress very differently. My daughter was way "ahead" of my son in terms of speech, it seemed. She was clear, articulate, and easy to understand quite early.

My son is now in pre-K. his speech is sometimes hard to understand, though I'm pretty tuned into what he wants. But sometimes it sounds like this jibberish or problems with pronouncing. His teacher recommended he be checked with the school speech therapist, just because. Test came back that he is probably advanced in vocab, but he just gets so excited and its hard for him to slow it down. Other times he speaks perfectly. Yesterday he constucted "are we not going to play at the park"... it was sooo cool to listen to him choose and put all the words together in the right order, in particular the "are we not" part... he said it so deliberately... you probably had to be there.

So maybe the recommended test is a good idea. If nothing else, don't worry about the "gifted" or "advanced" label. Get a good developmental book on child development. There are many that are pretty good for the early years, up to toddler. They state the stages most kids go through and often the kind of stimulation the child needs.

By looking at a book like this you can continue your child's development and see what kinds of things you might need to be providing, tailored to you own child's development. I know we bought specific toys using a book like this, and I remember we also started playing new games, based on suggestions of the kinds of things we should be working on. New ideas are always good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gifted Ld kids [ 7 Answers ]

How can a person be Gifted and have a learning disability?

Do you think my 5 year is gifted [ 11 Answers ]

Are you able to tell me if this is Asperger of Giftness Traits? My 5 year always been different since birth. Never slept through the night, very fussy, very picky with eat at birth. But now he's 5 years old and he's *Very demanding *Impatience *Emotionally sensitive *Curious of...

Is my 5 year old son gifted or just a quick learner or is their a difference [ 3 Answers ]

We have a 5 year old son who picks up on things very quickly he has not started kindergarten yet he will start next year. He can count to 100 by ones and by 10's , he can count to 15 in Spanish he knows the oceans of the earth can spell his name his brothers name mommy daddy grandma and grandpa. ...

Gifted Assessments [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this. I think that my 15 year old daughter might be gifted but I don't know what to do about it. Do gifted children always do well on tests?Also, where is the best place to go to find out?Is one type of test better than another? I live in England...

View more questions Search