Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sooty1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2008, 09:50 AM
    This did help me. When I navigated to find the .dbx files I put in (C:\Users\XXX\Documents\OEMail), Windows Mail could not see them to import, even though there were several and included folders.dbx BUT READ THE ADVICE ABOVE CAREFULLY. SELECT THE FOLDER AND DO NOT EXPECT TO SEE THE FILES!
    ftrasser Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2008, 08:05 PM
    The issue for me appears to be related totally to the bug in the double folder name as someone above mentioned. And you can't directly edit it. But if you quit the import, do it again and DELETE the folder name of the last entry, it'll work. At least it worked for me without copying files to another location or making them read only.

Thanks
    bbinks Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2008, 04:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by benn11
    If you are doing a vista/office upgrade this procedure should be done automatically, but if i am wrong correct me...
    I had 2 identities with OE in XP. Vista only imported one of them.

Rick's suggestion worked for the identity that vista did not import but I have a deeper situation. I archived on CDR older mail files (***.DBX). Using the method listed above did not work for the archived files because I assume the file names were not in the data in the folders.dbx file.

Any suggestions for this one?

Thanks
    IanMus Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2008, 11:58 PM

Rick and aries94404,

The solution was good for me in part. Unfortunately, no matter what I tried, "deleted items" remained in the field and blocked the transfer by the "All Folders" option. I had to choose "Selected Folders" and import folders in batches.

I attempted to import 8 years of records in about 200 folders or about 2 GB. After a day's work I managed to transfer about half. The process stalled often, always giving the same message,

"Not all of the messages from the folder, ' ... ' could be imported. An error has occurred." The error folder ended up imported but was always empty. Many other folders did get imported. There was a need to move the imported folders into one called, "Imported Folder" from scores of "Imported Folders" each numbered e.g. 1 2 3 4 etc..

I have most of what I want in the new system. The rest have to stay on another drive in OE6.

It had to be done. So, many thanks again. IanMus
    john5211 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2008, 01:03 PM
    The official Microsoft How To:

Import messages into Windows Mail from Outlook Express - Windows Vista Help
    kebija Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2009, 10:44 AM
    For those of you that could not import the messages, when you click on the poperties for the message uncheck both read only and archive. If archive is checked it will report that there are no messages in the directory.
    robe165 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Feb 10, 2009, 06:35 AM
    JAF, this may helpme - I have exactly the same problem as Rick - but how do I create a new directory (your para 1)? Many thanks Robe165
    Downeasta Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2009, 10:25 AM

The answer by "okcomputer" did the trick for me but, please note, only after I put the folder containing the .dbx files in my Documents. It would not import from a file on the desktop, a memory stick, nor an external hard drive. Also the double folder name seems to be a bug in the routine but OK's method got around that, as well.
    Each import will create a new mail folder named "Imported Folder(1,2..)." This will contain the folder you selected. You can later drag and drop these imported folders where you want them in the usual manner.
    Many thanks to "OKcomputer" for the solution to this one.
    robe165 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Feb 21, 2009, 05:27 AM
    Thx for reply. However, I now have 2 frustrating problems. I've got all my email folders from old crashed laptop (XP) in a folder ("old emails") under My Docs on new laptop (Vista HP). When I try to import, I get to final stage where I get message"No messages can be found in this folder or another application is running that has the required files open". Both statements are untrue - I know the files are there, because I can open them with Notepad (although there is a lot of Notepad gobbledygook in amongst the words). HELP! What am I doing wrong?
    Secondly, when I try to open the files in the "old emails" folder using Windows Mail, I simply get taken straight to the current inbox on Windows Mail.
    I would be extremely grateful for any assistance - this is driving me nuts!
    Many thanks - robe165
    rsrandy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2009, 03:48 PM
    Hi,

I had the same problem as many of you are. I copied my DBX files and pasted them into a folder on the desktop of my new Vista machine. When I tried to import the messages I got a message that said "no files found".

Nest, I put the Files in a folder on the C:\ (root drive) and I got the same results.

Here's how I fixed it. I pasted the DBX files directly to the C:\ drive (did not put them in a folder). I then chose the C:\ drive to import the messages from and it did so flawlessly, 880 megs worth.

I spent hours researching this and I wanted to share this. There seems to be a problem with Vista and the import program where it sees double directories. Should be C:\ old emails and instead it sees C:\ old emails\old emails.

rsrandy
    thassra Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2009, 11:37 PM
    I need a recent outlook, is possible to have one without spend money? Work with emails.
    There are something new good too?
    I have windows XP
    Thank you
    malobarr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2009, 09:52 PM
    I've tried putting the dbx files in multiple directories. I tried the root c:\, I tried in the documents directory, I tried in documents\OEemail, I tried several directories on a flash drive, I made sure they were not read only, I tried making it read only. I made sure the path was correct and still I get "No messages can be found in this folder or another application is running that has the required files open". Any ideas would be much appreciated.
    lizmc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2009, 09:22 AM
    I tried doing it this way but it wasn't working, it couldn't "locate" the folder.
    But I made a backup disc and made that my original source and it worked flawlessly.
    So I guess just burning a cd with the dbx files and choosing the cd folder will work.
    lizmc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2009, 09:23 AM

malobarr, I had the same issue. Try burning a cd with all the dbx files, then click on "browse", and select the DVD/CD drive. It automatically read the files and it also allowed me to select the folders I wanted to import.
    angel dust Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2009, 03:50 PM
    I just want to say that not only did this work for Vista, but it restored my corrupted OE files on my XP machine that nothing else could restore! Virtual drinks on me!
    Many thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Unsend e-mail using Outlook Express [ 3 Answers ]

How do I unsend an e-mail message if it was sent using Outlook Express? Is it possible?

Recalling sent e-mail in Outlook Express [ 1 Answers ]

Cannot figure out how to "RECALL" a send e-mail with Outlook Express. There is not an "Action" dropdown option like I have with regular Outlook. Any help/direction is appreciated.

Help to E mail Retrivel from outlook express [ 5 Answers ]

I was using Outlook Express.My system got crashed and I made the hard disk as a slave to another system and retrived other documents in it. Now I would like to know is it possible to retrive the messages I had in my outlook express.Please help me with it

Outlook Express E-mail [ 4 Answers ]

Sometimes when I try to forward a E-mail it will send anywhere from 25 to plus 75 E-mails none which go through. Will have many calls from people upset with me.Need help Thank you SDB

Opening e.mail attachments using outlook express [ 3 Answers ]

I am running Oulook Express with Home Windows XP I find that I am unable to open some if not all of received message attachments. A warning notice appears to tell me that they may be unsafe. Someone kindly suggested that by selecting FORWARD in the toolbar this problem is overcome. Sadly...

View more questions Search