Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeanne7312 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2007, 06:29 PM
    WWI Military Units
    We cleaned out an old family trunk and found reports of troop movements and battles during WWI. Does anyone know of a military unit probably U.S. Army, where the abbreviation would be "312 M. G. Bn., A. E. F." The reports also mention North East Mallancourt, the Cierges Nantillois road, and Montfaucon. It is dated and in a diary format (typed) on an onion skin paper for 18 November 1918, covering a period of September 26 to October 3 1918. It includes some casualty numbers including mentions of gassings. I am researching what I can find, but any personal or familial history to guide me would be appreciated.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2007, 06:33 PM
    We have a wonderful museum here in VA Welcome to the Virginia War Museum

I am sure there is someone there that could give you info on that unit.

Other great resources are your local American Legion and Veterans of the Foreign Wars posts.

What a great find!
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 25, 2007, 06:44 PM
    Don't touch them with your bare skin. The oils on your fingers will damage them. Contact a historian or archivist to look at them. They could be a treasure.I think the A.E. F. is American Expeditionary Force. 312 Machine Gun. The Bn ?

http://www.great-war-assoc.org/aif_regs.htm
    WW1 documents and WW1 paperwork reproductions, Great War period replicas

These guys are the best place to find stuff like this

Reenactor Fest
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2007, 06:51 PM
    Could that be Machine Gun Batallion?
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 25, 2007, 10:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    Could that be Machine Gun Batallion?
    I thought of that but usually batalion is Bt. But that could hve been dif then
    Lois649 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2007, 08:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanne7312
    We cleaned out an old family trunk and found reports of troop movements and battles during WWI. Does anyone know of a military unit probably U.S. Army, where the abbreviation would be "312 M. G. Bn., A. E. F." The reports also mention North East Mallancourt, the Cierges Nantillois road, and Montfaucon. It is dated and in a diary format (typed) on an onion skin paper for 18 November 1918, covering a period of September 26 to October 3 1918. It includes some casualty numbers including mentions of gassings. I am researching what I can find, but any personal or familial history to guide me would be appreciated.

My great-uncle was with Company C, 312 Machine Gun Battalion, 79th Division, A.E.F. and he died at the Battle of the Argonne Woods [Meuse Argonne] in September 1918. In the postcard he sent home upon arrival overseas, he called his group "312 M.G. Bn.", so I think this is the same unit. A.E.F. stood for American Expeditionary Forces. His tombstone says that he died on Sept. 26, though a newspaper account at the time said it was Sept. 30. A witness said that he died in the battle at Montfaucon, where he bled to death on the battlefield from a leg wound. His name was Albert Lee Reeder and he was from Elysburg, PA. I would be very interested in hearing about what is in your family dairy.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2007, 03:17 AM
    312 M. G. Bn appears to have been a part of the 79th Division ;the' Cross of Lorraine 'division. It saw extensive action at Meuse-Argonne .

Unit Numbers for AEF Divisions

http://www.tech-writer.net/79th_INFANTRY_DIVISION.pdf
    DM67Zip Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2007, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanne7312
    I don't know if this helps but M.G.BN stands for Machine Gun Battalion and AEF stands for American Expeditionary Forces.
    gardeniaviv Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2007, 04:42 PM
    Hello,
    I'm new here & just found your question. I'm also researching WWI. I don't have any daries, just other momentos of the war.
    I'm trying to unravel a few units also. My Grandfather was part of the 120th MG Bn.
    From what I can tell, that was part of either the 32 Div or the 33 Div. Some records mention it, other don't. He was from NY, these Div were from WI & MI. He was transferred to one of those divisions but which.
    Anyone have any info on the units?

Thanks, Vivian
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 05:12 AM
    This site should help . The 120th was part of a reorganization initiated by General Pershing

Organization of the 32nd Division during WWI - 32nd 'Red Arrow' Veteran Association
    gardeniaviv Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2007, 06:51 PM
    Thank you. Would you believe that just today, during my lunch & found that site.
    Now I would like to get a Morning Rooster. I guess I'll have to write to both states for that.
    Any additional suggestions?
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2007, 02:16 AM
    Yes , the 32nd was a major player in the Oise-Aisne offensive

The Second Battle of the Marne

DMVA - World War I

In three major offensives, the 32nd fought on five fronts, participating in the Aisne-Marne, Oise-Aisne and Meuse-Argonne offensives. Meeting and defeating 23 German divisions from which 2,153 prisoners were taken, the 32nd gained 38 kilometers in four attacks and repulsed every enemy counterattack.

Since much of the fighting on the Western Front for years took place over the same 5-10 kilometers of ground, with neither side being able to break the line of the other, it was a remarkable feat for the young Americans. The division was still in action east of the Meuse when the Armistice was finally signed.

The 32nd paid heavily for its victories. It suffered 14,000 casualties from all causes and was third in the number of battle deaths of any division in the Army.
    Victoria Eve Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2008, 07:12 AM
    Jeanne 7312:

My grandpa was also a part of the 312th machine gun battalion in the 79th. He left no diaries, unfortunately. I do know the 312th was heavy artillery, and he was gassed twice--once in a training exercise and more seriously in the campaign itself. Apparently the guys were supposed to go through gas training beforehand, but the recommendation wasn't always followed and the masks they did have were clumsy at best. The 79th was organized in August of 1917, composed of guys from PA, MD, and DC. Later draftees came from OH, RI, WV and NY. (My family was from Brooklyn.) My grandpa was in and out of the hospital for years after the war before dying in the Bronx VA in '46 after a 6 month stay. Good luck with your research. There are resources out there, but it's a lot to comb through.
    History_Man Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2008, 08:32 AM
    "312 M. G. Bn., A. E. F." was stationed at Camp MacArthur, Waco, TX, prior to departure for France. A view of the camp appears in a panoramic photograph taken by J. U. Medley & I. Shulman or El Paso, TX. This photograph (165-PP-30-19), and more than 1500 others are in the holdings of the National Archives, Still Picture Section in College Park, MD. To view a description of the records series: Panoramic Views of Army Units, Camps, Installations, and Related Industrial Sites, compiled 1917 - 1919 please go to: "http://arcweb.archives.gov/arc/action/BasicSearchForm?%24submitId=1&%24partitionIndex=0& %24searchId=1&%24highlight=false&%24sort=RELEVANCE _ASC" and enter either of the numbers below, just a s shown.

ARC Identifier 533260 / Local Identifier "165-PP"

If you want details about military records, you may want to contact the National Personnel Records Center at For the Public.

"Access to Military Records by the General Public, including genealogists who are not next-of-kin

Limited information from Official Military Personnel Files is releasable to the general public without the consent of the veteran or the next-of-kin. You are considered a member of the general public if you are asking about a veteran who is no relation to you, or a veteran who is a relative but you are not the next-of-kin. Next-of-kin is defined as the unremarried widow or widower, son or daughter, father or mother, brother or sister of the deceased veteran.

The type of information releasable is intended to strike a balance between the public's right to obtain information from Federal records, as outlined in the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), and the veteran's right to privacy as defined by the Privacy Act. Information will not be released if requested for unethical purposes.

The type of information releasable to the general public is dependent upon the veteran's authorization.

With the veteran's authorization.

The veteran (or next-of-kin if the veteran is deceased) must authorize release of information which is not available to the public under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). (In some cases the veteran may already possess military documents that contain the information you are seeking.) The authorization must 1) be in writing; 2) specify what additional information or copies that NPRC (MPR) may release to you; and 3) include the signature of the veteran or next-of-kin. (A sample authorization is included for your review.)

Without the veteran's authorization.

Limited amounts of information can be released from a record to a member of the general public. This is the information available under the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act. Please review the list of releasable items under that topic."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pressurisation units sizing [ 1 Answers ]

I seek information as to how do we size the pressurisation unit in a chilled water system including the major components details and their specs.

How to convert units [ 15 Answers ]

Here is the question: Our sun is 93 million miles away... the speed of light travels at 186 thousand miles per second, how long does it take the speed of light to get from the sun to the earth? Show me the answer in minutes.

Converting units [ 3 Answers ]

Hello :) How to convert microliters into micrograms?? I know it shoul be easy, but tell me how :) Tnx

Matching A/C units [ 7 Answers ]

Do I have to match the outside unite with the inside unite? I have a Rudd sys. Right now the heat pump outside is gone out. Do I have to replace with the same brand or can I go with an other brand? I'm in Dallas/Ft. Worth Tx. Do I need to go back with Heat pump or can I just go back with a a/c...

View more questions Search