Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tholmes Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2007, 06:08 PM
    12 legal reason to evict
    I recently asked if it was legal to evict someone for no reason. Someone responded saying yes I could. But I came across some information called "12 legal reasons to evict" and supposedly in the city of los angeles(where I live) you cannot evict someone for NO reason that is on a month to month lease. The landlord has to have one of the 12 legal reasons to evict you. So is it true that I cannot be evicted for no reason?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 25, 2007, 06:14 PM
    Generally you can't be evicted without justification. However, its perfectly legal to terminate a lease arrangement when the lease expires. If you refuse to leave, that is grounds for eviction.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Apr 25, 2007, 06:14 PM
    If you are in the area of LA governed by rent control, there may be a "just cause" eviction provision - you should check the ordinance.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2007, 06:17 PM
    If you are on month to month then the landlord can simply give you notice to vacate with 30 days notice. It isn't an eviction, they just aren't renewing your lease.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 25, 2007, 07:13 PM
    I trhink Holmes is referring to the City of Los Angeles Housing Department/Rent Stabilization Division - 12 Legal Reasons for Evictions Well worth reading but only if you are in LA. All 3 posts prior to mine are correct. A 30 day notice on a month to month is sufficient but it isn't an eviction. Scottrecently pointed out that it could even be less than 30 days notice to quit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reason for applying W7 [ 1 Answers ]

My friend is citizen of india. He is in India. He registered a company in Michigan, US. He wants to fill out the W7 to open a bank account in US. There are 8 choices he can choose. Out of those only #1,#2 and #8 are for non US residents. He is not sure which option to follow. Could you please help...

VA - Why would my landlord evict without a reason? [ 12 Answers ]

My friend was given 30 days notice to vacate her apartment. She is always on time with her rent, and has lived there for about 2 years. They didn't give her a reason... and legally, they don't have to. The question is, why would they do this?

How to Evict [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am renting a house in Michigan. My name is on the lease, however my roommate and I have a verbal agreement that we would split all rent and utilities 1/2. Since January of this year he has not paid anything. Now he is temporary gone (job assignment) and has not paid anything. He is...

I can't get pregnant for some reason! [ 2 Answers ]

Hey I'am 18yrs old married female that's been trying for the past 7 months now to get pregnant but nothing showing... I really want a baby and no luck is around.:( sometimes I feel like I might be pregnant or I even act like I'm and then when I get tested I'm not... but all I want to know is could...

Is there a reason that I am still single? [ 16 Answers ]

Hi... I am 31 years old! I am divorced with one child. I have been divorced for 6 years. I was in a relationship 2 months after my divorce for approximately 3 years! Needless to say... the last year of our relationship... he cheated! He is now married to this gal and has a child! I truly...

View more questions Search