Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emonchan Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2005, 03:30 PM
    J1 - Foreign Intern
    Hi,

I started a professional training program in the US last year and it will go on until end of November.

My employer gave me a 1099-MISC form but so far I don't know what I have to do. I am beginning to worry as the deadline arrives.

What form do I have to fill, what mistakes can I avoid easily...

Thank you for your help.

Eric
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 28, 2005, 08:58 AM
    Eric:

What country are you from? This is necessary information because your home country may have a tax treaty on how to treat people on an intern program.

The fact that you got a Form 1099-MISC may dictate the filing of Form 1040-NR with a Schedule C. Whether you file Schedule SE and pay self-employment tax depends on your answer to the above question.

Answer the question and I can probably give you the correct answer!

Mar 28, 2005, 04:51 PM
    Hi,

Thank you for your reply,

I had a few updates today, as it appears the 1099-MISC was a mistake, they printed me a new W-2 Form.

I already filed a 1040 NR-EZ (but did not send it yet) and spent a good hour figuring out how much days I was on US territory. I hope this was not useless :p

By the way, I am coming from France.

Thanks again.

Eric
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 29, 2005, 09:03 AM
    Eric:

Tax Year 2004 is a dual-status year for you. Read Chapter 5 of IRS Pub 519 for details on how to file dual-status.

Apr 1, 2005, 06:29 PM
    OK, thank you for that help.

However I don't understand why I have to fill a dual status. In fact I don't see much difference for my particular case.

I have another question, 1040 NR requires to calculate all days spent on US soil.
    Does that mean only days when I was actually under J1 internship visa (only 2004 and 2005) , or also days as a tourist (that would mean days spent during 2002 to 2005)
    kbclark Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2012, 11:02 AM
    If you have a unpaid foreign intern do they need any type of Visa
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 4, 2012, 12:14 PM
    Yes. They need either a F-1 visa as an international student or a J-1 visa as an business apprentice or trainee. There are other visa types, but F-1 and J-1 cover most intern cases.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreign currency [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I get a small amount of Italian currency for a gift in Denver,CO

Tax as an intern [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am a student wo entered US in aug 05 on an F1 visa .right now working as an intern in state of New Jersey. Can you please tell me how much taxes will be deducted in my salary when I am working as an intern on curriculum practica training(CPT) Thanks

Foreign Tax Credit [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a GC holder and I lived in 2005 in the US but I got a small amount of wages and interest from a foreign country. I paid taxes on the foreign interest. It seems to be very difficult to fill out necessary forms. I don't know if I need to file the form 1116 to claim the foreign tax...

Foreign accounts [ 1 Answers ]

I do not understand the purpose of form 90-22.1 (foreign accounts). It says to report foreign accounts if their aggregate value is >$10,000 .( I have a GC, so I have to report my worldwide income ). But, in Schedule B for form 1040, one just mentions " yes, I do have a foreign bank account in a...

Intern insurance? [ 1 Answers ]

I am implementing an internship program for high school students in central Florida.  the focus of the program is to expose/preview career options upon graduating from high school through continuing education.  hopefully the intern will have a better perspective of what they want before they get to...

View more questions Search