Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dragonfire24 Posts: 105, Reputation: 3

Apr 25, 2007, 11:13 AM
    I want a new video card
    I don't know too much about video cards so I figured I would ask for some advice.

I like to play a lot of games. I've been interested in a few games for PC only to find out that my video card isn't supported. (Example Black and White 2 won't work because my video card doesn't support pixel shader)

What I have now is what came with my computer, and Intel chipset, and I have been thinking of getting a video card for some time, only now I more or less need one to play certain games.

Can anyone give me some advice?
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Apr 25, 2007, 12:20 PM
    What is the make and model of your PC?

You need to determine, if you are using onboard video, that the PC supports installing an external card. You can check this by opening the PC and looking for an AGP or PCI-E slot.

Which card you buy will depend on whether it is agp or PCI-E.

How much money do you want to spend? If it is a fairly old PC, it might be better to upgrade everything, then you can play even the latest games :D

Video cards are like cars, they use the same engine, but have some features disabled or added, or slower speeds or less graphics ram, etc. This puts them into different price ranges. From Low-end 128MB cards to ultra high-end 640MB cards.

If your PC uses agp, you may want to look for an older or used high-end card, that will give you high-end performance without the high-end price.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2007, 12:29 PM
    Ultra high end 640MB? Rubbish.

*waves around his 768MB*
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 25, 2007, 12:30 PM
    Well monkey boy how about my Geforce 7950 GTX 512Mb in my LAPTOP!!
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2007, 12:31 PM
    I still win..
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 25, 2007, 12:44 PM
    Well hey I just couldn't swing SLI, but I will :D

Also unless you are running an 8800 GS or better you don't win ;)

The 7950 GTX is the fastest card single card you can get for a laptop, at the moment.
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2007, 12:56 PM
    8800gtx. Yes. No SLI. Although I can be in the future ;)

Apr 26, 2007, 04:55 AM
    Thanks for taking the time out to respond.. I meant to post some specs but I didn't have a chance.

Compaq Presario SR1123WM Desktop PC -  Product Specifications 

This is my type of PC. Compaq Presario SR1123WM, and this link should take you right to the hardware specs. It's just under 3 years old.

Basically I have PCI slots. I don't think they are Express though.

Windows XP home
    Intel Celeron(P) 330 2.66GHz
    1 GB ram (I upgraded from 256)

There is no video card appearently but an Intel 845G chipset in it.

I upgraded the ram to it's max a few months ago because I am into gaming. I know the processor will do me just fine for a little while.. but in the future I would like to upgrade to something over 3 ghz.

If I don't get a new PC first , my plans for this one are installing a new HDD (The one I have is about 80 GB), adding a new DVD burner, and maybe a new motherboard and/or processor. Not to mention the video card I am working on now.

Apr 26, 2007, 06:07 AM
    Hey Cap... 768MB... :D Nice... When I referenced 640MB I though that was the max. a 8800 came in.

So I checked out your Compaq specs, and it says no AGP. No agp means you can only look for a *rare* PCI solution, which is probably no faster than your on-board video.
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2007, 06:09 AM
    Just wait till I get another GTX in SLI, 1.5GB, mmmm sexy.

I think there are some okayish PCI on the market, but you are probably better upgrading your motherboard to PCI-E. Then there are other things like processor compatibility to worry about.

You could probably get a year old system today for fairly cheap.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 26, 2007, 06:12 AM
    First, I wouldn't put any money into that machine. Its NOT a gaming machine and never will be, unless you replace the motherboard and processor. If you do that, you might as well just get a new PC.

So save your money and check out alienware.com.

P.S. There is a request for help on the table here. Lets not hijack the thread ;)

Apr 26, 2007, 06:12 AM
    I've checked out some of ATI's cards and they have PCI available... But I am concerned about compatibility.

Apr 26, 2007, 06:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    First, I wouldn't put any money into that machine. Its NOT a gaming machine and never will be, unless you replace the motherboard and processor. If you do that, you might as well just get a new PC.

So save your money and check out alienware.com.

P.S. There is a request for help on the table here. Lets not hijack the thread ;)
    Scott,

If I am going to waste my money on Alienware I might as well just build my own.

Apr 26, 2007, 06:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfire24
    Scott,

If i am going to waste my money on Alienware i might as well just build my own.
    OK, so do it.
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2007, 06:17 AM
    Yes, don't do alienware. My powerhouse cost quite a bit, but nowhere near how much one of those costs.

Building your own is great fun.

Apr 26, 2007, 06:19 AM
    OK, so do it.
    Eventually I will. And that isn't an empty "eventually". That is why I don't mind investing a little bit of cash into what I got now. I am learning more about it by doing so. I'm probably going to run this one into the ground and then build it up when I am ready. Until then I plan on getting some fun out of it.

I bought it used from my cousin for $200 and it has definatelly proved it's value so far, Especially with Capuchin's great advice.

Apr 26, 2007, 06:23 AM
    A Celeron is not a gaming machine. And you would be wasting money on a PCI video card. IF you had an AGP or PCI/E slot I might say go ahead since you can transfer the card to a new machine. But not with a PCI slot.

Apr 26, 2007, 06:32 AM
    A Celeron is not a gaming machine. And you would be wasting money on a PCI video card. IF you had an AGP or PCI/E slot I might say go ahead since you can transfer the card to a new machine. But not with a PCI slot.
    Scott,

I really don't mind. I appreciate you looking out for me though... As for the Celeron.. I am aware that I also have the option of taking that out an installing a P4, which could be useful, since I could always install that into a new motherboard later. I think a lot about my options...

I am a gamer... Always have been, always will be. There are a few games I have that I can't play right now, but only because of my video card. I'm sure there is one out there that is compatible with my system that will allow me to play some of these games for now. I'm not looking for much. I've seen a few PCI cards that look like they may be compatible with my system and they only run about $50-80.. That's not bad and I wouldn't mind paying that.

Apr 26, 2007, 08:52 AM
    Your option of installing a P4 will cost you more later, since P4's are going the way of the dinosaur. A new motherboard probably won't even fit in the case either.

On a side note: ATI's R600 top of the line will have 1GB memory. Put two of those in Crossfire,. and sorry Cap. 2GB... :D

Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    Just wait till i get another GTX in SLI, 1.5GB, mmmm sexy.

I think there are some okayish PCI on the market, but you are probably better upgrading your motherboard to PCI-E. Then there are other things like processor compatability to worry about.

You could probably get a year old system today for fairly cheap.
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2007, 08:59 AM
    Shrug, I really needed a new PC at christmas. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the PCI-E Video Card equivalent to this AGP Video Card? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm in a turmoil to either upgrade my AGP Video Card to another AGP or a PCI-E. Most of you will say upgrade a motherboard that has a PCI-E slot, but that means upgrading everything else including memory, video card, MAYBE CPU - and that could mean a whole lot because I don't want to buy a cheap...

XP or Video Card? [ 7 Answers ]

My tech support friend and I have been trying to resolve a problem on my system, running XP SP2 and an ATI Radeon 9600, that appeared in the last 24 hours. The symptoms are as follows: 1. Certain mouse pointers have a vertical line about 10 pixels to the left of the center of the pointer. The...

Do I have to uninstall my video card? [ 10 Answers ]

A few months back I purchased Doom 3, as an interim game to play while waiting for the release of Half Life 2. My Compaq Presario's onboard video card handled the game with no problems. When Half Life 2 was released, I purchased it and installed it, only to find that my onboard video card...

Video card [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, The problem is that I can't get anymore than 16 colors. I have purchased two different VGA card with cd holding the software (drivers). Here's my PC info please help Thanks .

Help with video card [ 1 Answers ]

I was given an older pc. I had to reformat and now I'm having problems with the display. From what I can see, my video card is a 3D-FX. How can I find which version and where can I find the drivers for it. Operating Win95.

View more questions Search