Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crazybird Posts: 82, Reputation: 8

Apr 25, 2007, 04:26 AM
    Who hires distance degreed?
    :rolleyes: I am very curious to know if anyone has actually been hired that has received their degrees online. If so, what school did you use, what type of degree do you have and what type of job were you able to obtain. I am very skeptical about the online schools. :o
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 25, 2007, 04:27 AM
    Please refer to THIS STICKY
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2007, 04:33 AM
    I think that only recently has technology got to the stage where you can have a sort of meaningful degree experience from learning online.

This means through webcams to lectures, video conferences with tutors for problems classes, and the like. Any body wishing to do this would have to set up conferencing software and other ways to enable interactivity between lecturer and student.

A lot of the online schools are not accredited. They are there to take your money and give you a piece of paper that is worth nothing.

I cannot stress the importance of going to universities, finding one that suits you, and enjoying the experience and being IN the experience.

I think you're right to be skeptical. I don't think I have seen anythign that supplies the kind of learning experience you need to have a worthwhile degree.

For example, at least half of my physics degree is about learning how to be a scientist, how to treat data analytically, how to eliminate bias, how to keep check of errors in my system, and how to perform experiments accurately.

This would be difficult for me to do online, I couldn't afford the kind of equipment that there is at university. I also have access to a whole building full of doctors and post-graduates who are researching actively in the field.

The experience of being around these people during the degree is part of the degree, gives you experience and makes you more employable.

This is why I am very wary about online degrees, at least until technology improves further to give a more fulfilling experience.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 25, 2007, 07:04 AM
    If you get your degree though a accredited school, every business honors it, since it is just the same as a regular school. The US government, the Justice Dept, The military, Proctor/Gamble, if you name a major company you will find those that not only hire but even help pay for their current employees to do online college.

You can get teaching creditians, even law school reconsided only in California.

The trouble is there are 10000 fake or dipolmia mills for any one real online college.

Apr 25, 2007, 01:04 PM
    First, Curlyben, you didn't make sense. Your resume didn't answer my question and got on my nerves. LOL
    Capuchin: I agree with what you say and thank for your imput.
    Fr_Chuck thanks for your imput also. I agree that it is imperative that the school is accredited. Can you imagine taking classes from some bogus school and paying for it. It's hard to fathom that anyone would not check it out.

I am still waiting to hear from someone who can actually relay to others and myself theirsuccessful experience through online education. What college or university did you attend?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2007, 01:15 PM
    My husband got his MBA through St. Leo University distance based learning and I got my BA in Business Administration (MGT) through St. Leo Online courses. There is a subtle difference and you can find out info here Saint Leo University - You'll Love The Person You Become Here online degree, mba, online mba, distance learning mba, online mba programs, online mba degrees, mba degree online, mba online

My husband was hired as a Sr. C4 ISR Functional Data Analyst and would not have been eligible to apply without his degree.

I work for the same company I have been with for years, but will start working part time in real estate sales.

I highly recommend online classes. However, you have to be able to set and meet deadlines and have good reading and writing skills. Most of your courses will include heavy reading assignments and the only way the instructor knows you understand the material is for you to write numerous papers on whichever subject you are on.

Apr 25, 2007, 01:22 PM
    Emland: Did it take you longer to complete your degree this way? Had you had previous college credits from a traditional campus at all? You mentioned that you wrote numerous papers and I'm guessing that the workload is heavier than the traditional? Sounds like you had much experience before you decided to get a degree?
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2007, 04:46 PM
    I took 2 full time semesters (total of 31 hours) way back in 85/86. I returned to finish my degree in Fall 2004 and finished last December. I could have finished much more quick had I taken advantage of the Summer semester, but I have 2 kids and it just didn't work for me.

St Leo operates on 8 week semesters so you hit the floor running. They allow you to take 2 classes per semester. Some classes don't require much reading (I'll post the syllabus for my HR Management course after this post) and others pile it on. St Leo requires that you take 2 religious courses, and one must be the Catholic Tradition course. That one required reading 6 books plus numerous internet reading assignments and a weekly 3 page essay. Besides statistics I found it the most challenging (could be because I'm not Catholic, a few other Protestants and a couple of Wiccans struggled with me, too.)

It is a liberal arts degree so you have to take courses like World Lit (which I loved) as well as art or music appreciation. Many of my previous credits didn't apply towards my degree, but the core classes of English, History and Algebra most likely will if you are already taking classes.

I recommend online classes to adult students who know how to manage time and are serious about getting their degree. It isn't for people who aren't serious about their study habits and they don't hand out passing grades to push you along. I got through statistics by my chinny-chin-chin. But you must be willing and able to do your reading and assignments and stay on task with your work. Writing skills are a must - many instructors make you submit your work through a sniffer sight that can detect plagerism. Instant F and expulsion without refund if you like to use wikipedia as your essay writer.

St Leo offers a whole range of degrees and offer both Distance Learning and online courses. DL requires you to take some of your courses in the classroom whereas online does everything via computer - you download lectures, attend chats for classroom discussion and take tests and submit homework through their website.

Sorry I went on for so long. Here is my HR Management syllabus (this class was really easy for me since I work in HR already - if you take a course in which you already work I assume it will be the same for you.)

Week Assignment

__________________________________________________ _________

One 1. Read Chapters 1- 3
    2. Post Personal Introduction on Discussion Board
    3. Send email confirmation as requested

Two 1. Read Chapters 4 - 6
    2. Post Week Two Homework
    3. Complete assigned case study

Three 1. Read Chapters 7 - 9
    2. Post Week Three Homework

Four 1. Read Chapters 10 - 12
    2. Post Week Four Homework

Mid-Term Exam Availability Starts

Five 1. Read Chapters 13 - 15
    2. Post Week Five Homework

Mid-Term Exam Availability Ends

Six 1. Read Chapters 16 - 17
    2. Post Week Six Homework

__________________________________________________ ________

Seven 1. Submit all missing work for reduced credit
    2. Work Research Paper

Final Exam Availability Starts

Eight 1. Submit Research Paper

Final Exam Availability Ends

Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 25, 2007, 05:17 PM
    Yes, we have another thread somewhere about the Univ of Phoienx, to you it is a online school, but for us here it is a real phsycical school I pass its campus every time I go to the city. Many here take someonline but also go to the campus one or two days a week.

May 2, 2007, 01:22 PM
    Fr Chuck: I understand what you are saying about the U of P. I don't live in that state however. I just feel that potential employers reading my resume with that school wouldn't take my education seriously since it wasn't traditional learning.
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2007, 01:23 PM
    crazybird, have you tried contacting the HR department of some of the companies you are interested in and asking them their opinion of online schools?
    sassypea Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

May 2, 2007, 01:59 PM
    I haven't gone to any schools that were exclusively online, however my current college offers online classes. I have to say that these classes are much more challenging than the typical brick and mortar classes. One must been keenly aware and self disciplined to attend online classes in order to make use of adequate time management.

Eg: I took an english class but found myself at the end of each week clamboring to get my assignments done because I did not have someone to report to during a set period of days during the week.

Unfortunately I can't give you any advice as to a degree obtained from a long distance degree plan that I myself have obtained. I do know that phoenix university (a lot like Heald) and JFK university both offer online degrees and they are both accreditted schools in my area.

May 3, 2007, 11:43 PM
    Emland, I have thought of contacting companies, haven't though. Thanks for reminding me. That would be the best way to find out. Wouldn't it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The distance between us [ 6 Answers ]

So it is my three week anniversary (I know lame to keep track but I do) and every since the wedding my husband has been extremely irritable. I work 5 days a week from about 8-7 most days and he goes to school Monday Wednesday and Friday. The rest of the time he can do whatever he wants. But...

Where's Hires rootbeer ? [ 1 Answers ]

What ever happened to HIRES ROOTBEER ? Is it still available ? I haven't seen it in quite some time. I think it may have been among the first brands sold commercially, it was my favorite when I was a kid, many years ago.

Long Distance [ 8 Answers ]

I've been seeing this guy for about four months now. He lives kind of far from where I am. We've been talking about moving in together. I know it's soon. He wants me to move there and I'm a little nervous. He's already looking at a place. I'm not sure if I should wait or not. I love him and can...

Critical Distance is Pipe Length or Literal Distance? [ 2 Answers ]

Is critical distance measurement based on the literal distance from a trap to the vent stack, or the total length pipe from the trap to the vent? In other words, if the trap is 4 feet from the vent, but the drain pipe from the trap to the branch that has the vent connected to it is 10 feet, is the...

Distance [ 4 Answers ]

Hey all, it's me again. Has been a busy life since I was last on here so... with that said. Ever since me and the girl I was seeing broke up in late July... I educated myself on relationships and dating. I pretty much was a date-a-holic... and I eventually got tired of what I was doing because...

View more questions Search